Jamaican Boas Breeding - Page 50 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-22-2015, 08:17 AM   #491
cguarino30
Nobody to find this morning either. I really hope they're still in the room somewhere. I've been searching the rest of the basement as well, and haven't found any out there yet, so I'm hoping the last 7 (or more) are just really good hiders. It could be that they've been staying where they were the last two days, since they wouldn't have much need to move. I'll probably make an effort to come down in the middle of the night tonight, now that I've actually had a night to sleep. If I don't catch a few tonight, I'll probably take a more passive approach to this process. It bothers me that I managed to catch 13 babies within 24 hours and not a single one since, but the last escapee from last year was found a full 2 weeks after parturition, so I'm sure I'll still nab a few more from sheer luck over the next few days (or weeks). I also believe they'll start getting easier to find around the 2 week mark when they start getting hungry. I've expanded all my gecko caging since last year, so there's plenty of tasty geckos all long the one side of my reptile room that will no doubt attract hungry, little snakes. I just hope they haven't gotten loose throughout the house or worse yet, outside. No way one of these guys would survive the night out there at these temps.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:28 PM   #492
Helenthereef
I suppose that you have found the all less competent hiders, and the ones remaining will be those in the most difficult places. At least you have last year's experience to lean on - and, as you have already said, they can still go a LONG time without eating, so I'd think you have several weeks to go where you may well continue to come across them.

There was an interesting idea in another thread about setting up a video camera to see if they are coming and going from particular locations - a Go Pro set on automatic timer might work if you get to that point.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:26 PM   #493
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I suppose that you have found the all less competent hiders, and the ones remaining will be those in the most difficult places. At least you have last year's experience to lean on - and, as you have already said, they can still go a LONG time without eating, so I'd think you have several weeks to go where you may well continue to come across them.

There was an interesting idea in another thread about setting up a video camera to see if they are coming and going from particular locations - a Go Pro set on automatic timer might work if you get to that point.

Haha. Funny you should mention that. I actually have a ptz security camera set up in the reptile room so I can check on things when I'm away. I've caught a few on it, but not since I've found the last one.

I plan to set an alarm for the middle of the night to go look for more. If I don't catch any tonight, I'll probably just sit back and wait for them to find me, like last year. Fingers crossed.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:29 AM   #494
Snakesitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by cguarino30 View Post
Do you know where any of them are hiding?
I'm sensing darkness….heights…cords…and that pumpkin spice lattes may return to Starbucks. Please insert $1.99 per minute to continue.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:31 AM   #495
Snakesitter
Fingers crossed!

Old 09-23-2015, 06:45 AM   #496
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
I'm sensing darkness….heights…cords…and that pumpkin spice lattes may return to Starbucks. Please insert $1.99 per minute to continue.
You're a riot, cliff.

Well, I forgot to set the alarm, so I screwed up that plan. Hopefully, I'll find a few perched today, and I'll try to get up tonight and look.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:44 PM   #497
Snakesitter
;-) Good luck Chris!

Old 09-24-2015, 03:19 AM   #498
cguarino30
Well, spent an hour scouring the basement at 2:30 tonight and found nothing. This will probably be the last time I do this. It's strange that I found 13 in the first 24 hours and nothing since then. At this point, I'm putting all my hope in them getting hungry in a week or two and finding them as they try to infiltrate the gecko cages. I fed the yearlings yesterday. I will update in the morning with results.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #499
cguarino30
Feeding update:

E2, T3, and N4 were each fed two pinkies. E2 ate one, T3 declined, N4 ate both.

All others were fed quail chicks, with the exception of H2, who was fed a chick/knee combo. H2, H3, N1, and N3 all declined, though N3 again made an attempt.

I also gave a chick thigh to a random new baby. It did not eat.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:50 PM   #500
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by cguarino30 View Post
At this point, I'm putting all my hope in them getting hungry in a week or two and finding them as they try to infiltrate the gecko cages.
You don't think they'll get thirsty before they get hungry? A water bowl inside a bottle or something might make a good trap...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!