Why do people....... More..... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-18-2005, 05:41 PM   #1
Gregg M
Why do people....... More.....

Why do some people feel the need to humanize their reptiles???? Why is it that some people think that their reptiles Like or love them???? I for one, think this is a bad idea..... You are not really educated on reptile behavior if you think they run on emotions like humans do..... They are reptiles and I feel they are not high enough on the evolutionary scale to feel emotions like we do..... They run almost 100% on instinct..... Alot of people confuse some reptiles with having a personality when in actuality it is individual instinctive behaviors...... Am I the only one that is thinking this way???? I mean do some of you actually think your reptile pets ask to be taken out of their cage or will get jealous if you have a different one out of the cage???? It is true that you need to love the animals you have but why would anyone think or expect a reptile to show love and emotion back???? I think it is an unhealthy way to look at reptiles.....

Old 02-18-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
Vince
we may not agree about the houseing of reptiles. but I totaly agree with you on this one. I rember a post where someone was saying how their bearded dragon jumps around the cage when they see them enter the room. I tryd to tell them that it just thinks its going to get food. and when people post things like oh my gecko loves sitting on my shoulder or something like that , if you want affection get dog, or at least a cat.

Old 02-18-2005, 06:10 PM   #3
Gregg M
Thats what I was thinking aswell Vince.... It is a bit silly if you ask me..... And who cares about the housing thing.... Aslong as they are well taken care of.....

Old 02-18-2005, 06:24 PM   #4
BluGnat
I agree that lizards don't have emotion and emotion-elicited actions - they're all instinct. However, my reaction to my geckos is all emotion. I'm a big sap, even if they are just doing their instinctual "being a lizard" thing. The thing I love about the Leopard Geckos in particular (and the Beardeds and Uromastyx) is their basic behavioral repertoire. They're just awesome, enjoyable critters.

Old 02-18-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
Ophis
I dress mine up in doll cloths and throw birthday parties and stuff!

Old 02-18-2005, 06:28 PM   #6
Vince
We can all defently agree with that, if not then why would we be sitting here talking about them? I love watching my animals move around and do there thing, When I feed my redfoots, the biggest girl comes stompn out and stands on top of the food and doesnt let anyone else eat untill she is finished. and when the male chases the females around the encloser clucking away trying to get some action.

Old 02-18-2005, 06:47 PM   #7
GeckoPalace
Lmao greg, are you talking about that girl on KS. WOW she really cracks me up, the people were kinda mean to her but what they said was pretty funny. But i agree with you here.

Old 02-18-2005, 08:01 PM   #8
Xelda
I'm guilty of anthropomorphizing my geckos too. Not to the extreme a la PETA, but to the point where you would probably roll your eyes if you heard me baby talking to them. I can't help it though. They're just too darn cute.

Old 02-18-2005, 08:04 PM   #9
Golden Gate Geckos
me too!

Quote:
I'm guilty of anthropomorphizing my geckos too. Not to the extreme a la PETA, but to the point where you would probably roll your eyes if you heard me baby talking to them. I can't help it though. They're just too darn cute.
This would apply to me as well. LOL!

Old 02-18-2005, 08:10 PM   #10
Gregg M
Olivia, I am 6 foot 2 and weight 195lbs, and I baby talk my leos too...LOL.... I even baby talk my hots, but I know they do not want to snuggle with me...... It is one thing to love your pet reptiles, but is a whole other thing if you think they love you back or feel any type of emotions to you...

Anyway I know I can be a bit of a jerk (short of a word that actually fits me) at times but those kids on KS make me look like a saint....LOL..... Some of them are just straight out MEAN!!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!