Diapause in Leopard Gecko eggs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-21-2004, 01:40 AM   #1
Intense Herpetoculture
Diapause in Leopard Gecko eggs

I had one one of my leopard gecko eggs this year undergo diapause. I regularly check on the eggs development with a pen light, and noticed one of the eggs stopped developing several months ago, about a month later development kicked back in and started again. Never really knew diapause occured in leopard gecko eggs, but why not? It often happens in the majority of other lizard species. The egg was being inbcubated at 80 degrees and everything was correct. So, has anyone else had this happen? It would explain why a few people report eggs hatching out at 80-90 days at 80 degrees, and 50-60 days at 90 degrees.

Old 04-21-2004, 01:54 AM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
hmmm...

Justyn, I have had this happen a few times and it only seems to occur with eggs incubated at 80 degrees. I have never seen it happen at 81-82 degrees... do you think it could be due to temperature? What about with other species?

Old 04-21-2004, 02:08 AM   #3
riverjop
maybe on those lines?

I was thinking the other day, about why some species eggs are temperature sex dependent! As in Leopard Geckos. My question was this, why do females hatch so much later than males? The only reasoning I can see is so that the first eggs in the season, the weather might be cooler and thus the eggs would probably hatch out females as the season continued it would warm up and the eggs would hatch out faster (higher temps) and most likley be born males. As the different groups of eggs were incubating they would hatch out closer to each other's times and therefore would grow up togeather closer in age. Just my thoughts Im not sure if Im on the right track or not, but if anyone has any thoughts I would be interested!!!

edit: I know this dosen't answer the original question, but it runs along the same lines.

Old 04-21-2004, 02:56 AM   #4
Intense Herpetoculture
Perhaps in the wild leopard geckos eggs often undergo diapause when temps go below 80 degrees? So every once and a while they might do it at 80? Other lizard species often undergo diapause if it's to dry, too hot, or too cold. I guess I don't see why it would be any different here. Start taking notes on this Marica, I would really like to look into it more.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!