Inquiry: Captive Bred Specialties - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-15-2003, 09:07 PM   #1
diamondback1
Inquiry: Captive Bred Specialties

Has anyone had any dealings either good or bad dealing with Captive Bred Specialties from Wisconsin? Any information would be appreciated.

Old 11-15-2003, 10:01 PM   #2
MikeV
my experience w/ captive bred specialties

This is my experience, you be the judge of how bad it was because it certainly wasn't good.
I bought a turtle from them not too long ago this year, a non U.S. species. One day, the law comes knocking at my door wanting to know about the turtle. Long story short, it turns out the turtle was part of a smuggled shipment and of course I have to hand over the turtle as part of evidence and no, I didn't get it back, nor did I get the money back for it. I did contact the store but to no avail. Anyway, that's my experience.

Old 11-16-2003, 09:18 AM   #3
brucestephenson
That sucks.

Old 11-16-2003, 09:24 AM   #4
brucestephenson
Could you please fill is in on all the great details. These stories are very interesting and somewhat exciting. You know; what kind of turtle?, how did the feds behave?, what did the feds tell you about the story?, how much did you pay for the turtle? etc., etc. Thank You!

Old 11-16-2003, 02:41 PM   #5
brucestephenson
Sorry, that's fill (us) in. Sunday is not my best typing day.

Old 11-17-2003, 03:59 AM   #6
MikeV
Well, it was a $64 type of pond turtle, the feds were nice about it but portrayed how much they new about their jobs when they asked me what type of snake my ball python was. The gentleman basically had the attitude that a good snake is a dead snake, talk about discouraging! These are the type of people policing the hobby?! I could go on about them but I guess they were just doing what they were told. Apparently Reid was one of many included in the big reptile bust that occurred recently.

That's pretty much it, but for any that believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt - I understand that Captive Bred Specialties might not be dishonest but maybe he has some suppliers that are, which seem more apparent the more experience you get in this business.

This is just my story, money wasn't big but where's the turtle-some gov't biologists has it, I wonder if it's still alive as I right this. Plus, the "publicity" from the feds wasn't great, I enjoy my privacy. Thanks.

Old 11-17-2003, 10:32 AM   #7
diamondback1
Thanks for your feedback.

Old 11-17-2003, 11:16 AM   #8
brucestephenson
Yes! Great story! Thank You!

Old 11-30-2003, 01:39 AM   #9
AmbanjaBlue
Reid.....

I have been doing business with Reid since he opened shop a few years ago. I know him personally. So far I have no complaints what so ever. I had a few Powersun UV bulbs burn out on me after 2 months, took them back and he even replaced them with the T-Rex bulbs, which I now prefer. So far, I don't have anything bad to say about Reid.

Old 12-02-2003, 01:06 AM   #10
pcsmicro
Warning! Reid of Captive Bred Specialties

I was working on a deal with him in Feb 2003 and he asked me to have the Beardies I had for sale checked by the Vet. prior to buying a group I had for sale
So I made a special trip to the vet as he requested and had stool analyzed for some common diseases to Beardies and it came up clean. I then faxed it to him from the Vet. And never heard from him again. So this was my only experience dealing with him. He seemed like a nice enough guy.

Douglas

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!