How many mice do you feed your Rosy? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-28-2004, 02:13 PM   #1
Stevefromsd
How many mice do you feed your Rosy?

This is assuming the Rosy is adult sized.

Old 12-29-2004, 11:04 PM   #2
aliceinwl
I've got a couple rosies. I just give them one appropriately sized meal a week. The baby gets a fuzzy and my 1+ year old gets a hopper - weaner size.

-Alice

Old 01-06-2005, 04:18 PM   #3
psykel
personaly i feed my adult female rosies as much as they will eat but only cause they wont eat regularly

Old 01-08-2005, 10:56 AM   #4
Wilomn
I've found that rosies in particular don't do well with large prey items. I've got one right now but have had several in the past. The one I've got now is about 4 years old and maybe 26". He can eat three med. mice although he generally stops at two. On occasion I have retired breeder mice and he won't even try to eat the big ones.

Smaller sized and more of them as far as prey items seems to be better. I've also had some babies that would regurge a fuzzy but not pinks. I think sometimes the hair irritates them when they are small. I've also had problem adults, ones that start refusing mice, fire right up on rat pinks.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:14 AM   #5
Stevefromsd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
I've found that rosies in particular don't do well with large prey items. I've got one right now but have had several in the past. The one I've got now is about 4 years old and maybe 26". He can eat three med. mice although he generally stops at two. On occasion I have retired breeder mice and he won't even try to eat the big ones.

Smaller sized and more of them as far as prey items seems to be better. I've also had some babies that would regurge a fuzzy but not pinks. I think sometimes the hair irritates them when they are small. I've also had problem adults, ones that start refusing mice, fire right up on rat pinks.

Do rat pinkies work better than rat hoppers?

Old 10-12-2005, 06:02 PM   #6
snakeyman
my adult rosy gets 2 large mice once a week.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:37 PM   #7
Salton Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeyman
my adult rosy gets 2 large mice once a week.

I do the opposite. I feed most of my adult Rosys 1 jumbo mouse every 2 weeks.

Like stated, some Rosys don't handle large meals too well and will regurgitate them. These I feed 1 normal mouse or 2 baby quails a week. But I do have a big mainland, albino Whitewater and a wild-caught WW that are able to handle baby chicks w/o any problems, I just twist the wings off to aid swallowing. They digest the chicks really quick but their stool is more watery than normal(I hope this isn't a problem).

Old 10-13-2005, 10:42 PM   #8
snakeyman
my rosy has a really hard time getting the jumbo's down so i just go with larges.... baby chicks? ive never heard of that

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!