New Hognose Morph?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
jleonard
New Hognose Morph??

Soooooo, my fiance and I recently got into the hobby of breeding hognose snakes. In 2011, we started out with two females that we purchased at a local pet shop (one that appeared to be a normal western, and the other that appeared to be a green morph). About a month later, we traded the normal female at a reptile show for a normal male.

After cooling them for a few months over the winter, we decided to let them have a "go" at breeding. In April 2012, the female had a clutch of 20 eggs. We put the eggs aside and waited...

Just a couple days ago, the eggs began to hatch (BTW, only half the eggs survived). The attached picture is what the babies look like.

Over the weekend, we took them to the reptile show to let our friends look at, and everyone seemed to be impressed by what we produced and they were eager to buy them. However, they were also baffled as to what the "morph" was.

So now we are posting them here to get opinions on what the morph may be. We've decided to hold a couple back for future breeding projects and to see if we can prove the morph that we are producing. We haven't sold any yet, but we may end up posting some online after we are sure they are eating well.

We also hope to have more eggs soon, since the pair that we have are continuing to breed!

Let us know what you think.

Enjoy!

Jeff

Old 06-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
~Just Curious~
Wow!

Appears to be a reverse stripe AKA tiger/banded and very nice ones at that. There's a few lines of it going around, I hear about Charlie Shanklin's most often and supposedly his albinos have been throwing tigerish animals for years, also I believe it's considered to be some sort of line bred trait at the moment. I've also seen it randomly pop up in a few animals from a hypo clutch.
Hopefully your new line will prove to be something more concrete. Personally my fingers are crossed for more dominant/incomplete dominant things~
Congratulations though, that's awesome!!! I'm wishing you the best of luck with this project!

Old 06-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
jleonard
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the input. Just about all the ones hatched appeared to have this trait, so hopefully we'll have some very concrete lines coming from our pair.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
~Just Curious~
Awesome! Do you think you could get a pic of the entire clutch up?
Also I won't be back on until tonight, but I'm sending you a PM now. Just can't help it, I love me some good tiger stuff~

Old 06-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
jleonard
Absolutely! We only ended up with 7 good hatchlings, but they are all gorgeous. I will get something posted in a bit.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
jleonard
Here's a pic of the entire clutch (with and without flash).

If you can't see it good, go here to see them:
http://www.jeffersonleonard.com/hognose_clutch.gif

Let me know what you think.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
LAdams
I hope you guys are planning on keeping JA01. That one is absolutely stunning, and probably the best looking tiger I've ever seen. JA04 is really nice looking as well.

Good luck with these guys. They are definitely a really striking tiger.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
~Just Curious~
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAdams View Post
I hope you guys are planning on keeping JA01. That one is absolutely stunning, and probably the best looking tiger I've ever seen. JA04 is really nice looking as well.

Good luck with these guys. They are definitely a really striking tiger.
Nice, wide stripes without a single connecting band - they're gorgeous! And I'm loving their symmetry!
They're all very nice though, thank you so much for sharing these pics!

Old 06-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
phoenix-cry
Awesome! Any of these for sale? I'd love to have one in my collection!

Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
AbsoluteApril
those are so cute, congrats! I like JA04

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix-cry View Post
Any of these for sale? I'd love to have one in my collection!
Please take it to PMs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!