Classified bump abuse..opinions - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 05-24-2004, 01:27 AM   #11
JungleHabitats
well all i can say is im not sure ....

About the other classifieds sections .... but i know that the caging & hsubandry section is goingto be "Yellow" with envy lol

Rich you have Mail my good sir ...

Old 05-24-2004, 07:34 PM   #12
robin d.
i agree that the bump feature is already being abused... i see a seller (naming no names) that every day and i have seen it sometimes twice a day bump his ads up in several catagories.... like 4-5 now while the bump feature is great and not abused is greater peole who are bumping everyday or twice aday is a bit ridicul;uos..... now if they paid the five they wouldnt have to pump and us broke asses might just get a shot at someone seeing our ads that like me might bump once a week.

Old 05-31-2004, 09:51 AM   #13
Reptile Locators
Talking Ad Bumping Abuse Huuuum

Hi, All

I have seen ad bumping abuse and it does not seem like a real problem as of yet but might start to be abused more. and might warant some kind of attention later, but i think Rich will do what is best for the site as far as that goes. althoe i do think Rich that a 5 or 7 day counter for ad bumping would be in order but i wouldn't think a warning system would be need if the bump clock for bumping ad's just only allows you to bump the ad every 5 or 7 days then it would be less work for Rich. and ad's would only be allowed to be bumped every 5-7 day's and no one could abuse it.
only speaking of future problem abuse.

I my self out of respect for other posters bump my ad's every few day's and hope that it is viewed in that way by others and i would also pay the 5 dollars for the highlighted ad's if i had a special that i could aford to run so the options are their for us to use and is up to us who use it to respect it.

Hey Rich maybe a note on the option box saying something about common courtesy of ad bumping might do.

Just my thought's but what ever save's money and time or future problems is alway's a plus.

Old 06-07-2004, 11:11 AM   #14
NEWReptiles
I too have noticed some bump abuse in the Ball Python classifieds. The party has been bringing thier ad to the top atleast 3 times a day. I'm sure others have seen it, and I would be a little bothered if I had ads up in that section.

Old 06-15-2004, 02:47 PM   #15
JJFOUTZ
I think that the yellow ads in the classifieds section would get more attention if they were not yellow and they were locked 1st in the classifieds below all Announcements and notices with the look of a normal ad. The reasoning behind this would be that I have noticed myself blowing over them like the announcements in any section, being that I read them once and then I think I have conditioned myself to start looking below them because I know that I have read them already. As an example of this in the boa classifieds, srsnakes and redtailboas ads are above the High visibility ads now being offered notice. all three are highlighted and it kind of gives the impression of the ending of announcements and the beginning of the ads. If that was were the normal looking high visibility ads would begin, your intrest would start there by default if you go there on any kind of regular basis. Maybe you would also get more people paying for the normal looking high vis ads because they could not bump above them and default to 3rd or more regardless of how often they bump. Just an observation with some thoughts, am I totally off?

Old 06-15-2004, 04:16 PM   #16
WebSlave
Well, I guess that is certainly possible....

What do you think I should do? Make it a three level option? (1) Pinned to the top of the forum, no highlighting, (2) Highlighted but NOT pinned to the top of the forum, and (3) Both pinned at top AND highlighted. ?

The problem will come in trying to figure out what and how to charge for this.

Old 06-15-2004, 04:24 PM   #17
JJFOUTZ
You could pin to the top and give the option of highlighting or no highlighting at the same price you are charging now.
I don't know, it is something that could be tossed around and see what others think.

Old 06-15-2004, 05:20 PM   #18
JJFOUTZ
I think if highlighted and regular looking ads are options, the highlighted ads should be above the regular looking pinned ads for the previously stated reasons.

Maybe if you moved the notice of highlighted ads above the highlighted ads and the word notice was removed from the subject line of the ad, that may be enough to seperate them from the annoucements. just some thoughts.

I truly think you are doing an excellent job with this site and it is a valuable tool and resource in the herp community. I don't want you (Webslave) to take any of these suggestions the wrong way. Keep up the good work, it is appreciated.

Old 06-15-2004, 06:28 PM   #19
WebSlave
Heck, Jeff. If I didn't want suggestions I wouldn't ask for them. And I would just delete any that people sent me unsolicited.

But I want to know what people think about how I should run this site. Can't say I can please everyone, and some suggestions just cannot be implemented for technical reasons, but I will at least consider them.

For instance, your suggestion about keeping the highlighted and pinned ads above the unhighlighted, pinned ads. That sounds easy on the surface, but in practice it will be a problem to do. The reason for that is because the pinning works by a method whereby the last pinned message will be at the top of the heap. So to try to do what you suggested, depending on how many people used this feature and the options they wanted, it could take me quite a bit of time and effort to do the arrangement in this fashion. Yes, it is logical in the way it should be, but it would be quite a problem actually doing it.

Another thing is that many options on this site are global in scope. In other words, the changes I would want to implement in the classifieds sections would also change the way things happen all throughout this site. Removing the "Notice:" prefix would make sense in the classifieds, but there are situations where I would want that to be visible within some of the other forums. So I would have to choose one method or the other for the entire site.

But heck, doesn't appear that anyone else is willing to express an opinion on this, so perhaps this is all moot anyway.

Old 06-15-2004, 06:45 PM   #20
DThomas
Heck Rich, he only posted this fours hours ago..lol Some of us have day jobs and just jump in when we can.... It's only just now 3:45pm on the west coast here.

I think Jeff has made some valid observations. But like you said, easier said than done. Is it possible to select the color for individual announcements? Is so, make the pinned ads a different color.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!