Help Identifying my Leo's - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
manning0621
Help Identifying my Leo's

OK so here is the de. I bought my male which is the Albino back last year in august. I'm not exactly sure what kind of Albino he is. Then I bought my female this year in Jan. I was informed she is a mack snow but she looks like a possible wild type. Then they bred and the pic of the baby to me looks like a wild type. I'm going crazy trying to figure it all out SL I finally dcided its time to see what everyone else things. I feel dumb not knowing but everyone has to learn. PLEASE help clear my head lol.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Kristi23
The babies will all be het for whatever type of albino you have. However, it's never a good idea to breed geckos with unknown genetics.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
manning0621
Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm not looking to become a mass breeder. This is purely for my love of the animals. I know and understand the responsiblity of breeding leo's and i also understand the amount of time that i will have the new babies in my care.That is why I am here. I'm trying to get as much help identifying them as possible.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Kristi23
Quote:
Originally Posted by manning0621 View Post
Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm not looking to become a mass breeder. This is purely for my love of the animals. I know and understand the responsiblity of breeding leo's and i also understand the amount of time that i will have the new babies in my care.That is why I am here. I'm trying to get as much help identifying them as possible.
It's about putting geckos with unknown genetics out there. Yes everyone needs to start somewhere and that's with research first. This has nothing to do with mass breeding or taking care of babies. If geckos like this get out to the public, someone like you could breed it to another gecko with unknown genetics. It messes everything up for breeders who know what they are doing. It's not ethical to breed animals like this. Sorry it's harsh, but it's what you are going to hear from everyone.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
manning0621
I'm not here for harsh answers. You are a breeder yourself yet you made no effort to identify what they are or help out. All you want to point out is they are unknown. I have made months upon months of research and buying my male knowing he was an albino I came down to either a tremper or a rainwater. So I am not completely oblivious to the possibilities. As for my female it is hard to tell because I did not see her as a baby. And if geckos with unknown genetics are out there breeders do not need to buy from me. Not everyone has a passion to breed. Not everyone wants to go to the next step with animals they have so its not hurting anything. I understand where you are coming from but yet I did not ask to be coached on what others want.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
Kristi23
Quote:
Originally Posted by manning0621 View Post
I'm not here for harsh answers. You are a breeder yourself yet you made no effort to identify what they are or help out. All you want to point out is they are unknown. I have made months upon months of research and buying my male knowing he was an albino I came down to either a tremper or a rainwater. So I am not completely oblivious to the possibilities. As for my female it is hard to tell because I did not see her as a baby. And if geckos with unknown genetics are out there breeders do not need to buy from me. Not everyone has a passion to breed. Not everyone wants to go to the next step with animals they have so its not hurting anything. I understand where you are coming from but yet I did not ask to be coached on what others want.
I can't tell you what your geckos are by the pics. I'll wait for someone else try to explain this to you, but your research needs to include an understanding in genetics. It's irresponsible to breed like this.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
jellyfishrhythm
Craig, Kristi is right. She's not being harsh, but you admittedly have never bred before, claim you wanted to start somewhere, and she's merely giving you advice.

In terms of IDing these guys, the albino looks like it could be a Bell, but is most likely a Tremper based on their availability in the hobby. It's hard to tell from the photos, for sure. As for the Mack Snow, again, could be - I don't see any real pigmentation, but, again, I've seen plenty of geckos that "look like" Mack snows that prove out not to be.

The baby is a normal, het albino.

Kristi is only pointing out that in breeding leopard geckos, there are certain things in our community that are certainly frowned upon. For example, if the "Mack snow" turned out to be het Tremper, but your albino is a Bell, you've started mixing incompatible albino strains. If you're only breeding them to keep all of the babies yourself, then I suppose it's irrelevant.

But, honestly, you should've tried to identify them PRIOR to breeding them, not after the fact. That being said, the baby looks healthy, and is still beautiful, and I sincerely hope that he/she continues to do well.

Check out Ron Tremper's site leopardgecko.com (he's one of the godfathers of the industry, so to speak) - he gives a good outline of care/breeding. Also, if you're interested in genetics and seeing "what makes what", check out The Reptile Calculator (google it, I can't remember the exact URL)

Old 06-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
manning0621
I understand where the both of you are coming from. What I want you to understand is I know what they are and I did before I bred them. It is hard to tell with my mack because I have seen both normals and mack snows that look like her and I know the only way to prove her is by breeding. When I first posted it came off that I had no clue. The intention of the post was more so to double check on others opinions. If I felt it irresponsible I would have never paired the 2 together. When I planned on breeding them I know what I was expecting to get. Jelly I did use that site well before I ever bred the two. Also I would like to say thanks to jelly for the input

Old 06-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
Celtic Constrictors
I'm currently breeding a Blazing blizzard and wild type together so I can have more pets. I too am curious as to the outcome as I don't know if the wild type has any recessive genetics. We shall see what happens.

I believe if you know you have a 100% wild type they should all appear 'normal' but be heterozygous for albino. Bell, rainwater, or tremper? We may never know.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
manning0621
My mack was sold to me by a local breeder who is also a co owner of a pet store. I can say she is proven yet because this is her first breeding season and I've only gotten one fertal egg out of her. Everything else she has reabsorbed unfortunately. She is extremely healthy but I guess it is what it is. I've compares her to multiple normals but she doesn't resemble them at all. I actually posted a pic of the baby now on here today. So I guess in due time I will see. If I do prove her I'm going to work on producing super snows in the future.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!