Jay Villa / Jay Brewer Owner of Prehistoric Pets (Good Guy) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:59 PM   #1
esoteric-lizard
Thumbs up Jay Villa / Jay Brewer Owner of Prehistoric Pets (Good Guy)

i just completed a trade / cash deal with jay villa. my transaction with him was top notch!

the deal we made was more than fair... and i received the NICEST retics available on the market! he is negotiable, and you get what you pay for!!!!

he even let me have one of my snakes early, while i made my 2 last payments, so i could breed him!!!!

now are deal is complete... and i wouldn't hesitate to business again with them!

although he is a very busy guy, once you have his attention, he will answer any questions you might have.

his employees are good to go as well!!!!!!

so, thanks Prehistoric Pets!!!!

Old 01-09-2006, 08:50 AM   #2
Casey Hulse
I agree

Darla and I were in Anaheim last Sept. the day before the NARBC show. We stopped in to visit Prehistoric Pets and have a look around. All of the employees were busy preparing for the show, but they still had time to answer our questions. We spotted Jay (we recognized him from the Chicago show) and introduced ourselves, he proceeded to give us a grand tour of the shop, including the area in the back where he keeps a lot of his high end projects. Jay seems like a very nice guy, and all of the staff at Prehistoric Pets were great. The shop is amazing also! Right inside the door is a huge museum quality turtle habitat, the mote is filled with huge Pacu, and the island has dozens of large turtle, and a huge water monitor,(I hear the monitor has the run of the shop)

Old 01-09-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
connorrm
Is this the one that belongs to prehistoricpets.com?

Old 01-09-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
Greg Riso
Thumbs down My Experience With Them

I'm glad both previous parties have had good experiences with Prehistoric Pets of Fountain Valley. I have not dealt with them for a few years and decided to buy one of their boas that was posted at their web site. It was not a high dollar item by any means but when a problem arose their customer service was nonexistant.
I initially contacted them the second week of November about a "weird possible hypo Central American boa." I spoke more than once on the phone with the person that seemed to be responsible for internet inquiries regarding this animal. His name was Patrick Powers. I mentioned to him that I though I'd seen this animal at the Anaheim NARBC show in September. I somewhat remembered the animal and asked him typical questions such as what it was feeding on, temperament, background history, etc. He told me he was "holding it in his hands right now". What he failed to mention was it had permanent scarring all along it's back that severely detracted from the value and marketability of the animal. I received the animal on 11/22/05 and couldn't believe the amount of scarring present that was NOT there in the picture depicted at their web site. I called Patrick up shortly afterwards to let him know I was not happy about this and he told me he would talk with the owner and we would go from there. I did not hear back from him. After about a week went by I called him again and left a message. Again, I did not hear back. On 11/25/05 I also e-mailed Prehistoric so that there would be something on record in writing and guess what?....I never received a response. On 12/15/05 I forwarded a copy of my original letter and explained how I'd actually helped Jay Brewer recover a $3,500 stolen animal that I could have just kept. I never received any response. Here's a copy of my e-mails to them with the first letter on the bottom.

Date: 12/15/2005 12:32:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Reply To:
To: sales@prehistoricpets.com
CC:
BCC:
Sent on:

Sent from the Internet (Details)
Internet Address Card Attached

I've called more than once and written you about this animal over three weeks ago and have NEVER received any response. What do you plan on doing about this animal? I have kept it quarantined and low and behold it broke out in mites as if it had been treated before leaving and now the eggs have since hatched.
I should have known better than to deal with you guys. My friends in Southern CA have always warned me to stay away and your inaction regarding the animal you sent me is proof enough for me.
This after I saved Jay $3,500 for the stolen animal I helped him get back plus traded him a purple phase albino retic for a lavender which at that time was worth a hell of a lot more. I've always supported you guys on the Fauna BOI but NOT after this.

Greg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarded Message:
Subj: Possible Hypo CA Boa
Date: 11/25/2005 10:00:12 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
To: sales@prehistoricpets.com

This message is for Patrick Powers. We've spoken twice on the phone about the animal that came in with multiple scars all along it's dorsal surface. Although they are old and fully healed they were not mentioned in the ad, could not be seen in the picture, and were not mentioned over the phone when we spoke prior to shipment. I remember seeing this animal at the Anaheim show and I decided not to pick it up at that time due to this fact. Of course I didn't realize this was the same animal when I saw it pictured online when I decided to purchase it.
I feel the scarring depreciates the value of the animal I bargained for considerably and I'd like to be compensated accordingly. I can send the animal back or I would like you to adjust the purchase price. Please let me know what you'd like me to do. Thank you.

Greg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad the other two parties here are happy with Prehistoric Pets. I have to think Jay Brewer was probably never made aware of my problem. He still needs to be in control of what's going on there just the same. The animal was only $200 plus shipping so I did not personally try to call Jay directly. It's the idea that if his sales force chose to totally ignore this situation, what would they do about a problem regarding a higher end animal? I'm not ever going to try and find out!

Old 01-09-2006, 06:22 PM   #5
Laura Fopiano
Could also check this out

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ehistoric+pets or

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ehistoric+pets

Those of us who have been around, use exciting opened threads...........this stuff does make for some interesting reading though!! Better get your favorite beverage and get comfortable.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:35 PM   #6
esoteric-lizard
that sucks Greg... sorry to hear about this.

i think sometimes that is just the price people pay for going large scale... you cant please everybody, and you cant control your employees. maybe there isn't any excuses though - and when things like that happen you just deal with it and move on?

I'll have to admit that he does have some of the nicest retics on the market... just an observation of mine, but it seams like all the mainstream breeders are always stepping on each others shoes?

anyway, i would much rather deal with him personally than some of the other guys out there.

0.1 tiger het = moocho classic patter!!!

1.0 white classic tiger

1.1 dh albino genetic striped (male is breeding)

jay was really cool for sending this male to me early - while i made my last couple of payments.

i was hoping that i could let people know of my good exerience regarding prehistoric pets - and the fine snakes i got there too!

Old 01-09-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
Casey Hulse
How big and how old is that female?

Old 01-09-2006, 07:28 PM   #8
esoteric-lizard
i got the supertiger from matt crabtree, she is only 2yrs old... the male was having fun spurring her.

the second one is a super dwarf X jamp from constrictors unlimited (breeding pics).
...she is somewhere around 3yrs old - 13ft and close to 75lbs (big girl!).

the third female is the dh (very last pic) she is a late '04.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #9
Denisebme
I've been to Prehistoric Pets a couple times. The first time, my overall impresson of the store was neutral, they just seemed to be another reptile store. Their selection of lighting was overpriced.
I went again this past October on my way to the reptile show at the OC Fairgrounds, and the store could easily be summed up with one word... NASTY. Dirty, overcrowded cages, and it smelled bad!
My hubby convinced me to go again the first week of December, he felt that maybe the store was dirty because they could have been shorthanded during a show weekend. Big mistake, the store was still nasty, the cages were still dirty and overcrowded. Some of the animals appeared very dehydrated, and the water bowls... well, yuck!
I won't go back, I would never even consider buying an animal from them.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #10
esoteric-lizard
wow... i wasn't aware of their reputation as being negative. i also have never been to his shop... i have talked to jay on the phone a number of times though.

all i know is that the snakes i got, are hands down - the best money can buy!

as far as Prehistoric Pets past business dealings... i dont know!

i do know that if i was in a pet store so nasty that "i wouldn't buy a snake turd there" - a phone call to the Dept of Agriculture would be in due order!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!