plz help,my new bd wont eat - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
puppytoes72
plz help,my new bd wont eat

i just got my 1st bd and it wont eat,i researched everything b4 i bought it so i think its environment is ok.i tried putting crickets in his home and i also tried feeding him in a seperate tank.its been 24 hours.any suggestions??

Old 10-08-2006, 03:47 PM   #2
Valley Dragons
Has it been 24 hours since you bought it? Usually a new dragon will not eat for the first day or three while they are adjusting to a new home. Give him/her a bath or mist to help keep hydrated. Keep offering food and I'll bet he will eat before too long.

Jamie

Old 10-08-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
puppytoes72
ty

ty 4 the reply,and btw he just ate 4 crickets!!yay!im also happy that he ate in the feeding tank.im sorry 4 being a worrywart but ive only had him 1 full day and i love him already.hes soooo sweet (or she)

Old 10-08-2006, 11:56 PM   #4
Rebel Dragons
Just remember to give your new dragon some space and some time to adjust. After a few days of adjustment your dragon should have settled in and you'll have a best friend for life!!!

Good luck,

Old 10-09-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
Cat_72
Make sure the crickets you are feeding are of the appropriate size as well.

Congrats on your new baby!

Old 10-09-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
puppytoes72
ty

ty mike and cathy.so far she has eaten 4 crickets yesterday, 3 this morning, and 1 about an hour ago.ive had her since sat. at 5:00pm.is this ok?i also offered her fruit and salads,she will lick most of it but not eat it.she did take drops of water off my finger tho i dont think shes pooped yet,should i be worried?i appreciate any suggestions/feedback.im really trying not to hover over her (she was by herself for about 9 hours today)and when i got home she ate the 1 cricket int he feeding tank,drank the water off my finger and then fell asleep in my hand so i put her on the basking rock.she spends all her time there,she never goes in the hidey cave.ty again guys!!

Old 10-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #7
puppytoes72
oh and she is shedding alot,when i got home it was just a lttle on her legs,but now i just peeked in on her and its her whole body now

Old 10-09-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
Cat_72
I have a couple of dragons that seem to be pickier eaters when they are shedding, but 8 crickets in 3 days isn't very much, though at least she seems to be picking up and eating something. Are you sure the crix are small enough for her? And what are you offering her for greens? Sometimes you have to try a variety before you find what they like. I don't think you've mentioned how old she is, but babies do tend to eat a lot less greens and more bugs as compared to older dragons.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #9
puppytoes72
she is only 5 inches long from nose to end of tail.i get the small sized crickets from petco,tho i noticed a couple of the crickets were bigger then the others.i coated them in rep cal,so now i have about 8 white crickets walkin around the feeder tank LOL.i offered collard greens,escarole shredded carrot,bell pepper,watermelon and banana CUT VERY SMALL.let me know what u think

Old 10-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
Cat_72
Awww, just a little guy then.

I'm not sure how big the "small" crix from Petco would be, but they shouldn't be any larger than the distance between her eyes. She may also feel more comfortable if you just feed her in her regular enclosure instead of moving her to a different one.

Try feeding her just one or 2 of the things that you mentioned that you have given her for "salad" at a time, it may be that there is something in there that she doesn't like, and it is turning her off from the whole thing. Watermelon, green pepper, and banana could add their flavor to everything. Try just the finely diced collards and escarole, and see if she does better with just that as well....and then when she's eating better, try adding new things one at a time and see how she eats them.

As far as her not pooping yet...well, she may just not have eaten enough to make poop, lol. You could try giving her a soak and see if she poops then.....sometimes a good bath will help loosen things up. I have a couple of dragons that poop every single time I give them a bath.....LOL.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!