Question about bylaw in Oakville, ONT. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Nomi
Question about bylaw in Oakville, ONT.

I hope this is the appropriate place to ask this. I was curious if there was anyone out there familiar with Oakville bylaws concerning owning ball pythons, as I will be moving there soon. I was researching the bylaws to see if they had anything on owning Hognose snakes, but instead found a bylaw that seemed to ban owning any python species. (And 'Poisonous Colubrid Species' which may or may not include hognoses).

Heres the bylaw I found:

http://www.oakville.ca/bylaws.htm

(in case the link does not bring you there, the bylaw number is 1976-153)

As you can see, it prohibits the owning of boas and pythons (it was amended to allow geckos and iguanas). It makes no distinction between species of pythons.

Now this bylaw is quite old (from the 70's), and even the amendments date back to 1990 and 1995. Is there any more recent amendment or new bylaw regarding the owning of ball pythons in Oakville? Am I looking in the wrong place? Anyone in or around Oakville know the deal with this?

Old 07-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Flatlander
It looks like you can't have anything cool, better find a different town or just keep a low profile, which is what I would do.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
Nomi
I'm afraid that I cannot live in another town, since that is where my school will be. So I'll be there for more or less five years. On another forum Ive heard from a few people who live close by that people do indeed keep ball pythons, so it seems like the bylaw is more or less ignored or just not enforced. I would like more information though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!