The BOI will be coming to an end on 02-02-2020 - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:17 PM   #91
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_zoo View Post
So now if someone has a complaint that they were ripped off or sold a sick animal they have to pay to tell others?

The same if they had a great experience purchasing from someone and wants to tell others?

Did I read that right?
After 02-02-2019, yes, that will be correct.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:18 PM   #92
clintdowns
Well, I have really enjoyed reading through all of this. I just like many would really hate for this BOI to leave. I think a lot of people will agree with me when I say, I have read some pretty stupid stuff on here along with some really great stuff, and I do not mean that bad in any way. the good out weighs the bad abundantly. I think that stupid stuff that I am referring to is the stuff that has already been addressed with the spammers. I don't even remember the last time I bought an animal off of Fauna but I will say, I love this site.

Even though I have not bought anything off of here in a couple of years, I have a shortcut on my phone to get to the site. I always have my head stuck in this site. I am the kind of person that loves all of these animals and would have a lot of them if I could. With that being said, I come to the BOI every time I log in and scan through it. I am guilty of not really typing to much on them but I do occasionally. I might be lost if I were to log in and not see the BOI to read.

With all of that, Rich (WebSlave), I will be a contributing member soon and I would also like to ask you, is their anything that I can do for you on this site. I understand that it is a huge burden and time for you to keep up with everything so I would like to help you if at any way possible. Please just IM me and let me know what I can do for you.

Love Fauna and the BOI
Clint

Old 01-29-2019, 02:53 PM   #93
clintdowns
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintdowns View Post

With all of that, Rich (WebSlave), I will be a contributing member soon

Boom, I didn't want to wait, and just like that I am a contributing member.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #94
tim brophy
Lots of folks here seem to dislike Facebook, but FB does make it easier to check out legitimate breeders and sellers. I do not mean the BOI FB pages, either. I mean the herp specialty pages, like Pituophis Enthusiasts, Thamnophis Enthusiasts, whatever. FB has made it much easier to figure out who is a legitimate breeder/seller, and who is not.

I believe a huge percentage of people who read the BOI read it purely for the drama.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:21 PM   #95
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim brophy View Post
Lots of folks here seem to dislike Facebook, but FB does make it easier to check out legitimate breeders and sellers. I do not mean the BOI FB pages, either. I mean the herp specialty pages, like Pituophis Enthusiasts, Thamnophis Enthusiasts, whatever. FB has made it much easier to figure out who is a legitimate breeder/seller, and who is not.

I believe a huge percentage of people who read the BOI read it purely for the drama.
That is a relief to read. With any luck, most people won't even notice that the BOI is gone. I was concerned that people would get pissed at me over this.

But yeah, there is quite a bit of drama when a bad guy trips over his own tongue in public, isn't it? Too bad Facebook can't keep them from deleting their own words when that happens. Or so I have heard, anyway.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #96
Mike Schultz
I commend you Rich for creating a solid unbiased system (even though the members themselves can and will always be biased, it's just how life works)

The facebook feedback groups are not fair in the slightest. The moderators of one of the larger ones deleted the majority of my customers positive feedback posts about me and banned me from the group for no real legitimate reason. Oh well, not a huge loss for either side of that conflict

Old 01-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #97
yeloowtang
I haven't read all of the posts yet..
there's is no way any other BOI anywhere especially on facebook can compare to this one. All others get the post buried to a point you can't find anything, and the worst part is peoples messages get deleted or entire post get deleted if someone is not happy with the way things are going.. people get blocked and can't reply. Keyboard warriors are 100 times worst there. 10 times more scammers too.
I don't think having the BOI reserved for contributing members a good idea ( and I don't say this because I'm not one that is contributing) It just never crossed my mind for whatever reason ?? can't even say why.. I visit on a regular basis even if I'm not as much into reptiles anymore . I just enjoy keeping up to date on things and read interesting posts. even help when I can.. blocking it will just bring in less traffic here as a whole.
BUT I do get that things can't be free, with the time invested the stress involved.
It might just be the time you call it quits too, after doing it for so long, it's normal to just be tired and lose interest, no shame in that, THAT would be a huge loss to the community.
many people go to facebook because it's easy and free.. I personally hate it as you can't find anything unless it's been posted recently..
as for solutions ??
having a huge header here and push on the importance the BOI on fauna has on the hobby.. from what I have read over the years, only the bad apples hate fauna !!! we all know why.
maybe try a new year sale on membership, instead of 25$ try 10 or 15$ ?? I'm not saying that because I'm cheap :-D this site is worth it for sure, it's just all the others are free.. people need a reason in wanting to send $$ .
I don't know if you have one or not, maybe get a sister facebook page.. nothing as in a forum type to cause you more stress, just a page with a little info about this forum and link people back here. just show partial headlines with a click here for the rest. Bring them here but only have members capable of posting, even contributing members could be the only ones to post.. then have that other idea I read earlier with a 5$ a month fee to post if that person wants to. maybe even a free one time post for an accused person to defend themselves.

way back, before facebook, forums like this one is where people went, every other forum that I am a member is having the same issues.. less and less posts, some are basically dead now with 1 or 2 visitors a week.. not only reptiles, all other types of forums like (Halloween, salt water reefs, RC, kiting) are suffering the same fate over facebook...
why I think using facebook to bring people back here might be a good idea.
I often link this BOI on many facebook pages when I get a chance too.

I would hate to see the BOI go, I think it's the most important part of Fauna; it's what makes the bad ones run scared, it helped so many people over the years, probably even got rid and shut down a few scammers as well.

I hope a solution can be found and that you are not ready just yet to move on to other things.. maybe having many even hundreds of 10$ memberships versus no 25$ ones ??
again, not to be cheap at all, I spend on crazy things all the time but the reality of today is, if the amount is past a certain point, people just don't bother.
maybe go 10$ year - 25$ 3 years - 50$ 10 years
you could have fund raising events where each membership gets a chance to win a Tshirt ?? :-D make it fun at the same time.
just shooting ideas, maybe this as all been done before.
wishing you the best possible outcome in this..
and yes, I need to be a contributing member as well.. should get that done soon

Steph

Old 01-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #98
WebSlave
The cost of a Contributor membership today is just $25. When I started this function (which people asked me to do, btw), let's say the year 2002, the cost was $25 for a Contributor level membership. Which means that $25 being spent today is really only worth around $17.90 in 2002 spending power today. And that isn't taking into consideration PayPal's fees. So the cost of such memberships has dropped accordingly every year, without any increases to compensate.

So no, I think the price is way reasonable enough for people who actually want to support this site and the survival of the Board of Inquiry. If that isn't good enough of a reason, well, then we know how this is going to go.

It is not that I have lost interest, I have lost any logically defensible REASON to put up with it all any longer. If the membership is not overwhelmingly behind the BOI, then why bother? The dog I had in this fight has died.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #99
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Which means that $25 being spent today is really only worth around $17.90 in 2002 spending power today.
On the other hand, with expensive online legal research companies, rising education costs, huge possible awards in litigation, and a complex legal system, costs to defend cases have risen dramatically. Excellent attorneys (not experts or superstars who can command millions) can easily cost $600/hour.

So the same sorts of legal threats that Rich may have to deal with now can be very much more costly than they were more than a decade ago.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:28 PM   #100
Akiranar
I actually found this site because of the BOI. I was looking up a controversial breeder and this site was actually one of the first on the page. So, that is one of the reasons I really like this site. I like the fact that the BOI posts are never deleted or edited so people can't cover their tracks.

Also, to whoever gifted me this year's contribution, thank you!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!