Man bites python - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
lovin2act
Man bites python

NAIROBI (Reuters) – A Kenyan man bit a python who wrapped him in its coils and hauled him up a tree in a struggle that lasted hours, local media said Wednesday.

Farm manager Ben Nyaumbe was working at the weekend when the serpent, apparently hunting for livestock, struck in the Malindi area of Kenya's Indian Ocean coast.

"I stepped on a spongy thing on the ground and suddenly my leg was entangled with the body of a huge python," he told the Daily Nation newspaper.

When the snake coiled itself round his upper body, Nyaumbe resorted to desperate measures: "I had to bite it."

The python dragged him up a tree, but when it eased its grip, Nyaumbe said he was able to take a mobile phone out of his pocket and phone for help.

When his supervisor came with a policeman, Nyaumbe smothered the snake's head with his shirt, while the rescuers tied it with a rope and pulled.

"We both came down, landing with a thud," said Nyaumbe, who survived with damaged lips and bruising.

The snake escaped from the three sacks it was bundled into.

(Writing by Andrew Cawthorne; Editing by Jack Kimball)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_python_odd

Old 04-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Tiger Lilly
It's not just me, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin2act View Post
NAIROBI (Reuters) – When the snake coiled itself round his upper body, Nyaumbe resorted to desperate measures: "I had to bite it."

The python dragged him up a tree, but when it eased its grip, Nyaumbe said he was able to take a mobile phone out of his pocket and phone for help.

(Writing by Andrew Cawthorne; Editing by Jack Kimball)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_python_odd
Am I the only one that had to stifle a laugh at the mental picture of this?
I realize it's not funny, but sometimes my mind creates a pic that is just hilarious...what do you say to the person on the other end of the phone?
"Listen, I can't go into details right now, but I'm in a tree by the gooney goo-goo river with a python wrapped around me...send help...no, you can't miss me, the snake is huge--and bleeding from where I bit him. Yeah, just look up & you'll see my feet..."
Sorry, I have a strange sense of humor, I know. That, and the muscle relaxer I took has kicked in...

Old 04-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
lovin2act
No I am right there with you

And what was it some type of new "Leopard" python that drags its prey up into tree's before eating? The whole story seems....suspect.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Tiger Lilly
But it was worth a laugh...thanks for sharing!

Old 04-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
lovin2act
Yes it was! Very welcome

Old 04-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Jerry_c_62
I thought it odd also. Then I started to wonder what kind of cell phone coverage do you get in the back woods of NAIROBI?

Old 04-18-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
Rattlesnake
This entire story has a sound of bordering on the ridiculous.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!