Live Rattlesnakes Released In 'Snakes On A Plane' Theater - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:23 AM   #1
wcreptiles
Live Rattlesnakes Released In 'Snakes On A Plane' Theater

What kind of idiot would do this?

Two live diamondback rattlesnakes were released in an Arizona movie theater during a showing of the new film "Snakes on a Plane," according to Local 6 News

http://www.local6.com/news/9717727/detail.html

Old 08-23-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
Scott Nellis
pranksters??

The news article used the word "pranksters" for the idiots who released the rattlesnakes. Hmmmm, I think "criminal" would be more appropriate. If these idiots are ever caught, they should be charged with assault with a deadly weapon and causing a panic...maybe cool their heels in some juvie dentention center for a few months. I swear, people are getting dumber by the minute!!

Scott Nellis

Old 08-23-2006, 01:31 PM   #3
Mooing Tricycle
stupid... Of COURSE people have to give snakes a bad name, and the people who keep them by doing this BS.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
Junkyard

Old 08-23-2006, 07:42 PM   #5
Junkyard
I do not condone the actions here, but I had to laugh. That would have been a great prank using fake snakes!!

Old 08-23-2006, 11:25 PM   #6
Clay Davenport
While it would have been a great prank using rubber snakes, what was done was unbeliveably irresponsible and could have resulted in serious injury or even the death of someone who happened to have a bad reaction.
I do hope they catch who is responsible. There are several possible charges that could be pressed and in my opinion they definately should be, there is just no excuse for that kind of behavior. A practical joke is one thing but blantant disregard for the safety of others and purposely endangering them is quite another.
Earlier this year I read a similar article about some kids turning a rattler loose at school that resulted in an envenomation. Those kids got in soem serious trouble.

Here's the full text of the article:

Quote:
Two live diamondback rattlesnakes were released in an Arizona movie theater during a showing of the new film "Snakes on a Plane," according to Local 6 News.
Authorities said pranksters released the young venomous rattlesnakes in a dark theater at the AMC Desert Ridge near Tatum and Loop 101 in Phoenix.

The two snakes caused a panic in the dark theater, according to the report.

"That to me is very scary," herpetological association representative Tom Whiting said. "I would hate to be watching a movie about snakes and have a rattlesnake bite me."

Wranglers were called to collect the snakes, the report said.

No one was injured in the incident and, so far, the culprits have not been caught.

Officials believe the snakes were smuggled into the theater in backpacks.

"This thing is under someone's chair and they go to sit and they just push your foot in the air and startle it -- obviously all they got to do is startle this thing," Phoenix Herpetological Society spokesman Daniel Marchand said. "It's dark. They can't see you, you know that well. If it's scared, boom it strikes."

The snakes were released into the desert.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:52 PM   #7
reptilebreeder
I saw later reports that state the incident didn't actually happen this way. That a security guard found one outside earlier in the day, stuck it in a container and turned it over to the reptile guys when they came for the one that was found later on, somewhere inside. They stated that they think it got in on it's own, and maybe it has even happened before. I don't know where this theater is, but it wouldn't be the first time a snake has found it's way indoors somewhere. Could be something that happens on occassion, and it made the news this time, because of the movie. Could also be people (theater, police) trying to downplay or change the incident so as not to cause panic or whatever. Of course the initial story could be what really happened, in which case I hope they catch those responsible and charge them with some serious offenses. I'm going to look around some and see if there are any reports of this to see which one is more credible or if the one I heard was discredited.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!