Newby to forum, seasoned herp keeper - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:36 AM   #1
HiddenHerps
Newby to forum, seasoned herp keeper

Hello all!
I'm so excited to find this site and get to know more herp keepers and breeders! HiddenHerps is still in it's infancy but it's been a dream of mine for 20+years. We are interested in Skinks, Pacmans,Pixie frogs, tomato frogs, geckos and wedge head caiman. Anyone who'd like to discuss husbandry of these would be most appreciated as I believe we can never learn too much about the animals we keep.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
Welcome to the site!

Please note that there is one account per person, so Andrew and Lauren, you will need to create separate accounts.

Webslave (the admin here) can correct the name field on this account for you.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:26 PM   #3
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenHerps View Post
Hello all!
Hi and welcome to the forum/site.

Quote:
I'm so excited to find this site and get to know more herp keepers and breeders!
This site is very helpful. It helps with husbandry, it helps many of us find breeders, and it helps you spend your extra money .

Quote:
HiddenHerps is still in it's infancy but it's been a dream of mine for 20+years.
Well, congratulations, on making your dream come true.

Quote:
We are interested in Skinks, Pacmans,Pixie frogs, tomato frogs, geckos and wedge head caiman.
I happen to love various skinks, my favorite is Tiliqua scincoides intermedia. However, my favorite group of herps are frogs. My favorite are the genus are: Ceratophrys, Dyscophus, Pyxicephalus. It is very nice to have another frog lover on the forum.

Quote:
Anyone who'd like to discuss husbandry of these would be most appreciated as I believe we can never learn too much about the animals we keep.
I would LOVE to discuss husbandry with you. I also agree, one hundred and ten percent, that we can never learn too much, regarding, the species we keep!!

Old 09-05-2018, 01:42 AM   #4
HiddenHerps
Good to know. I have always loved herps and want to learn from as many folks as will talk with me.

Thank you! I've been a psych nurse for the past 10 years and am getting burnt out on the politics of healthcare. I'd been looking to find a new career when my husband suggested becoming a professional breeder. I laughed at first but people seem to do well at it if they know their stuff and LOVE their animals. That's all I wanted to do when I was young so what the heck!

Here in middle Tn I grew up playing with blue tail skinks so when I first saw their supersized cousins I was immediately in love! My favorite is Tiliqua rugosa rugosa but I plan to start with Northerns and Easterns. Nobody in my area is breeding any skinks so I'm hoping to find a good breeder on here.

I LOVE frogs! In the past I've kept several species. Most notably 2 pair of red eyed tree frogs for 6 years and even bred them successfully twice. What types do you currently own? We have a Ceratophrys cranwelli right now but I'm in the process of getting caging ready to breed all the types you mentioned. I'm hoping to get a couple Pyxicephalus at the expos in my area if not more of all 3 species!

I'm going to start a sedentary frog husbandry thread! Please join in, I'd love to hear your thoughts! Also
please feel free to message me anytime frog buddy!

Old 09-05-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
elena
Not sure if these she is still in the game, since I bought from her years ago, but I've gotten quality Northen Blue-Tongued Skinks from Donna Fitzgerald at Captive Bred Excellence. Here's the website:

http://captivebred.com

And this is the email I have on file:

ozzzfan50@gmail.com

Old 09-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
HiddenHerps
Thanks elena!

Old 09-05-2018, 10:24 PM   #7
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Good to know. I have always loved herps and want to learn from as many folks as will talk with me.
Glad I am NOT the only one.

Quote:
Thank you!
You are very welcome.

Quote:
I've been a psych nurse for the past 10 years and am getting burnt out on the politics of healthcare.
I can't imagine doing your job for ten minutes, let alone, ten years. On a serious note, I am sure the politics of healthcare are horrible.

Quote:
I'd been looking to find a new career when my husband suggested becoming a professional breeder.
I wish that my husband would suggest that . Ohh wait, he, is afraid I would do it !

Quote:
I laughed at first but people seem to do well at it if they know their stuff and LOVE their animals. That's all I wanted to do when I was young so what the heck!
Why not give it a try. Plus, heck, it has always been your dream, so, why not.

Quote:
Here in middle Tn I grew up playing with blue tail skinks so when I first saw their supersized cousins I was immediately in love!
I happen to love your native species of skink, just as much, as, many of the larger more expensive cousins.

Quote:
My favorite is Tiliqua rugosa rugosa
You, me, and hundred of thousands of others!!

Quote:
but I plan to start with Northerns and Easterns.
That is great.

Quote:
Nobody in my area is breeding any skinks so I'm hoping to find a good breeder on here.
I am sure you can find a good breeder on here. I can also give you a few suggestions.

Quote:
I LOVE frogs!
Me too!!!!!!!

Quote:
In the past I've kept several species.
I have kept several species, past and present !!!!

Quote:
Most notably 2 pair of red eyed tree frogs for 6 years and even bred them successfully twice.
That is very very cool, in my humble opinion.

Quote:
What types do you currently own?
I own the following species: Ceratobatrachus guenther, Dyscophus guineti, Ceratophrys cranwelli, Lepidobatrachus laevis, Pyxicephalus adspersus and Theloderma corticale.

Yep, I am a bit of a frog collector.

Quote:
We have a Ceratophrys cranwelli right now
I have had a male specimen for years, he calls very very frequently!!

Quote:
but I'm in the process of getting caging ready to breed all the types you mentioned.
That is very very cool!!!

Quote:
I'm hoping to get a couple Pyxicephalus at the expos in my area if not more of all 3 species!
I say, if, you have all the caging done, then, get all three species !

Quote:
I'm going to start a sedentary frog husbandry thread! Please join in, I'd love to hear your thoughts!
I already did. I can give you a more detailed explanation, if, you want. But, I do NOT want to bore you all to death!

Quote:
IAlso please feel free to message me anytime frog buddy!
You might regret saying that to me !

Old 09-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #8
HiddenHerps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyscophus antongilii View Post
I can't imagine doing your job for ten minutes, let alone, ten years. On a serious note, I am sure the politics of healthcare are horrible.
It can be really rewarding work but also very draining...but the burocracy is unbearable at times

Quote:
I wish that my husband would suggest that . Ohh wait, he, is afraid I would do it !
Mine loves animals as much as I do...well almost as much..lol. His only condition is that we get Wedge Head caimen too! He wants to keep a trio or pair at least.

Quote:
I happen to love your native species of skink, just as much, as, many of the larger more expensive cousins.
I have one living under the cushions on my porch lounger! She leaves me little poops to clean up and sometimes if in laying still she'll crawl out and look at me. I love it!

Quote:
You, me, and hundred of thousands of others!!
I KNOW RIGHT! BUT SOOOO EXPENSIVE. If you can even find them! I love monkey skinks too

Quote:
I am sure you can find a good breeder on here. I can also give you a few suggestions.
YES! PLEASE DO!

Quote:
That is very very cool, in my humble opinion.

I own the following species: Ceratobatrachus guenther, Dyscophus guineti, Ceratophrys cranwelli, Lepidobatrachus laevis, Pyxicephalus adspersus and Theloderma corticale.

Yep, I am a bit of a frog collector.
YES you are a collector! Of some very cool species I might add! Omg! I love mossy frogs! I considered doing them in a paludarium in my den! Don't want red eyes again...makes me miss my old ones. That's why I stopped messing with herps. My 26 year old iguana Fluffy, Daria the bearded dragon who I'd had for 6 yrs as an adult rescue and my last 2 RETF that I got as froglets all died with in a year. Broke my heart. So I sold all my enclosures and had a baby human to love on instead...

Quote:
I have had a male specimen for years, he calls very very frequently!!
Do you brumate him?

Quote:
I say, if, you have all the caging done, then, get all three species !
Check out my pics on pacman thread!

Quote:
I already did. I can give you a more detailed explanation, if, you want. But, I do NOT want to bore you all to death!
Oh heaven's no! You're not gonna bore me!

Quote:
You might regret saying that to me !
Naa. I'm not a huge ppl person but if I do like a person I'm pretty friendly...lol

Old 09-06-2018, 08:29 PM   #9
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
It can be really rewarding work but also very draining...but the burocracy is unbearable at times
I see. It's nice that it can be really rewarding at times .

Quote:
Mine loves animals as much as I do...well almost as much..lol.
That is great. Mine definitely is more into herps, then, he was originally. But, he is a domestic dog person, threw and threw.

Quote:
His only condition is that we get Wedge Head caimen too! He wants to keep a trio or pair at least.
He has great taste. I prefer Paleosuchus palpebrosus, to any other species of crocodilian.

Quote:
I have one living under the cushions on my porch lounger! She leaves me little poops to clean up and sometimes if in laying still she'll crawl out and look at me. I love it!.
Awe, luck you, and lucky Plestiodon fasciatus too.

Quote:
I KNOW RIGHT! BUT SOOOO EXPENSIVE. If you can even find them! I love monkey skinks too
You have great taste in skinks !

Quote:
YES! PLEASE DO!
Okay, want me to add it to this thread, start a new thread, or do you have another idea? In any event, I will do whatever you want tomorrow. Also, give me an idea of the subject matter that interests you.

Quote:
YES you are a collector!
I did warn you about that .

Quote:
Of some very cool species I might add! Omg! I love mossy frogs! I considered doing them in a paludarium in my den!
I say go for it !

Quote:
Don't want red eyes again...makes me miss my old ones. That's why I stopped messing with herps. My 26 year old iguana Fluffy, Daria the bearded dragon who I'd had for 6 yrs as an adult rescue and my last 2 RETF that I got as froglets all died with in a year. Broke my heart.
I am sorry about all your looses. But, they seem to have all lived very long and I am sure, very nice lives.

Quote:
So I sold all my enclosures and had a baby human to love on instead...
I am happy, you, at least got some money for your enclosures. I am sure you are too ! I would much rather have a human baby, then, any species of herp, but, that is just me. Of course, I can't have my own baby !

Quote:
Do you brumate him?
No, but, some years he does brumate himself for a month or two.

Quote:
Check out my pics on pacman thread!
I posted a response, I think .

Quote:
Oh heaven's no! You're not gonna bore me!
Okay, I will hold you to that !

Quote:
Naa. I'm not a huge ppl person but if I do like a person I'm pretty friendly...lol
Ohh and me too

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!