I got tagged by a Gaboon!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-29-2006, 10:38 PM   #1
Great Lakes Reptiles
I got tagged by a Gaboon!!!

OK I'm very tired, so i'm not to sure how to go about explaining what a dumb-a$$ I am maybe after some sleep I'll go more into detail about what happened to me last night, my brain is still a bit foggy so dont expect much today.

Im making this post in the the hopes that it might make someone think twice about getting into HOT's

If you do some searches you see that I do have some experience in keeping Hots, but at this time I know longer work with any venomous reptiles of my own, anyway last night I was helping a friend feed his large boa collection he also keeps 2 Gaboon Vipers I took 2 unthawed rats out I picked up the rat with 18 inch hemostats when i opened the front of the cage I tried to angle the hemostat in my hand so that my hand wouldn't be in striking range this is where I made my stupid mistake the snake struck instead of at the rat it nailed me in the right index finger it happened so fast I didn't even have time to react actually I just froze there for a second, I looked down saw all the blood but there was absolutely no pain, I stuck my finger in my mouth and sucked really hard I noticed a strange taste that I never tasted before, immediately my friend secured the 2 Vipers we went to call 911 but with scrambling around and panicking we couldn't find the phone he yelled to me to get in the car and he drove me to the hospital fast!!!!. It seemed like the longest trip of my life.

I was waiting to feel the symptoms of being invenomated but there was no pain just some bleeding and maybe a bit of a panic attack. upon arrival to the emergency room things got more tense for me when i realized the hospital staff had no idea how to handle the situation they were asking all kinds of questions I was getting irritated I gave them some info and contacts and not to long after I found out some antivenin was on its way but after about 35 mins past I realized there was still no symptoms so it had to be a dry bite! At this time I started to calm down a bit. Anyways I am kinda tired and I will reply more to this after I get some sleep. My point to the whole post is even a experienced hobbyist like myself can make 1 stupid mistake that could of cost me my life.

PS sorry if im ramballing I need to go for nap!

Old 11-29-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
Great Lakes Reptiles
You know that drive to the ER I said that seemed like it took forever, I was just anxious the be in the hand of professionals! but to my horror this just wasn't the case, well not at first, when I entered the ER and got the attention of the ER nurse, I told her that I had been bit by a African Gaboon viper! and that I needed medical attention an fast!! she was more concerned about if I had my health cared or not (paper work) and then she wanted to take my temps and blood perisher, I said what I need is a Doctor and NOW!!!

OK so Im finely in a ER bead and they hook me up to all the monitors stared a IV and start with the questions, like why were you playing with poisonous snakes, did you bring any antivenom, who should we call to get some? I even had to set the pace a bit know-one even knew how serious this could be!!! and after they talked to poison control and a few contacts that I gave them like Toronto Zoo, Buffalo Zoo, seaway Serpentarium, I started to get some serious attention.

I did start to feel a but better about the ER Doctor he seemed to be clewing in very well, and let me know that there were many venomous experts in contact with him, but at this point in time I was already sure I was out of the woods, enough time had passed and I knew it was probably a dry bite.

Hey guys Id like to apologize to everyone, I know that every-time someone screws-up like I did it can and sometimes does effect are right to keep reptiles, I'll stick with non venomous for now-on!

Old 11-29-2006, 11:43 PM   #3
SPJ
I know exactly how you feel.
I was tagged by a copperhead (a hot native to the state) and no one at the ER knew what to do. They tried to restrain me to apply a pressure bandage!
Thankfully after all of the ordeal, I knew I got a dry bite and left.
They were more concerned about paperwork and treatment that would CAUSE MORE damage than the bite than listening and reading the protocol book I brought with me.
Turns out I had to fit the bill (thousands of dollars) since the insurance denied it. I was ripped. Make me pay for their botched care.
Good luck to you. I can sympathize. Sometimes accidents happen and you hope the medical professionals can help. Too bad most can't.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:51 PM   #4
Great Lakes Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
I know exactly how you feel.
I was tagged by a copperhead (a hot native to the state) and no one at the ER knew what to do. They tried to restrain me to apply a pressure bandage!
Thankfully after all of the ordeal, I knew I got a dry bite and left.
They were more concerned about paperwork and treatment that would CAUSE MORE damage than the bite than listening and reading the protocol book I brought with me.
Turns out I had to fit the bill (thousands of dollars) since the insurance denied it. I was ripped. Make me pay for their botched care.
Good luck to you. I can sympathize. Sometimes accidents happen and you hope the medical professionals can help. Too bad most can't.
Well hopefully Im not the only-one that learnt a lesson , maybe the hospital that I went to will be better equipped after my visit.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:59 PM   #5
Mooing Tricycle
Wow, im glad it was only a dry bite in the end!!! i cant believe the hospital would allow that sort of action to be taken?? Paperwork first THEN help!??? I would deff get in there and write a letter to complain. People should get help first, THEN worry about paperwork...

I hope that your story influences more to avoid Hot snakes as "That cool pet"

Glad youre okay!!!

Old 11-30-2006, 12:04 AM   #6
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
I hope that your story influences more to avoid Hot snakes as "That cool pet"

You know what really ironic. He got tagged by a snake that wasn't his and I got tagged by one that wasn't mine.

I think it's time for people to stop "helping out" with hots. LOL.

Glad you're OK and posting. A bite from a gabby is not something I would ever want to deal with.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:12 AM   #7
Tim Cole
Talking If you can't spell it, DON'T play with it!

I say this light heartedly because you did not suffer a bite from a Gaboon Viper. Nothing like a rude wake-up call.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:15 AM   #8
Great Lakes Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cole
I say this light heartedly because you did not suffer a bite from a Gaboon Viper. Nothing like a rude wake-up call.
Sorry my brain is a bit sticky today lol

Old 11-30-2006, 04:04 AM   #9
ldydrgn
Glad to hear you are ok.

I have one quick question, though. What did you mean by "unthawed rats"?

Old 11-30-2006, 10:43 AM   #10
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
Paperwork first THEN help!??? I would deff get in there and write a letter to complain. People should get help first, THEN worry about paperwork...
One thing many people fail to realize is that a hospital is a BUSINESS. And they are in business to make money. So yes, they are going to check on your ability to pay for services they render. If you are heading to the emergency room, make sure your insurance card is in your hand when you go in through the door. If that had not been a dry bite, those few minutes wasted could have been critical to the outcome.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!