Yard-herping in northeast AZ - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
Fangthane
Yard-herping in northeast AZ

I moved out to Az about a month ago. I guess I'll use this thread to periodically chronicle whatever reptiles I find wandering across the property. Aside from the countless little fence lizards and skinks that seem to be everywhere, I've only come across a couple of things worth mentioning. These pics are kinda crummy, but they're all I have for now. Taken with a Galaxy S4. My new S7 should arrive next week, so maybe the next batch I take may be somewhat better looking.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
Donald C
Nice finds. Love the gopher, wish we had some where I live.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:41 PM   #3
Helenthereef
Nice idea, hope you keep posting.

For those of us unfamiliar with US species, would you mind adding what they are?

Old 06-24-2017, 11:04 PM   #4
Fangthane
Apparently, the snake is a gopher snake (thanks, Donald). The lizard is a desert horned lizard, aka "horny toad." I'm not particularly well-versed in indigenous herps, as my main interest has always been exotics. The snake was actually found today. I was unceremoniously awoken this morning by someone opening my bedroom door and yelling "SNAKE!" I stumbled outside and grabbed my hook, half-dreading the idea of having to wrangle a diamondback while half-asleep. The dogs were going crazy trying to get at something, so I kinda had to act fast. Luckily, it turned out to be something harmless.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:16 PM   #5
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangthane View Post
The lizard is a desert horned lizard, aka "horny toad."...
I was unceremoniously awoken this morning by someone opening my bedroom door and yelling "SNAKE!" I stumbled outside and grabbed my hook, half-dreading the idea of having to wrangle a diamondback while half-asleep. .
Thanks for that, I've never seen a (reptilian) horny toad before. Maybe you should keep a pair of gumboots by the door for those early morning alarms though.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:57 PM   #6
Donald C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangthane View Post
Apparently, the snake is a gopher snake (thanks, Donald). The lizard is a desert horned lizard, aka "horny toad." I'm not particularly well-versed in indigenous herps, as my main interest has always been exotics. The snake was actually found today. I was unceremoniously awoken this morning by someone opening my bedroom door and yelling "SNAKE!" I stumbled outside and grabbed my hook, half-dreading the idea of having to wrangle a diamondback while half-asleep. The dogs were going crazy trying to get at something, so I kinda had to act fast. Luckily, it turned out to be something harmless.
Looking further into it, I believe it is a sonoran gopher snake (pituophis cantifer affinis).

Old 08-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #7
Fangthane
I haven't come across anything different lately, but I did come mere inches from mulching this adorable little guy with my mower today.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2017, 08:41 PM   #8
Slowpoke
Man, that little dude has attitude! Great find, and great save.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #9
Donald C
Oh, that's so cute

Old 08-06-2017, 10:20 PM   #10
elena
So cute! When they're not doing the blood-from-the-eyes thing...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!