one ticked off goose.. what the heck??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
Miss Tuniwha
one ticked off goose.. what the heck???

um.. why would a goose do this??

nesting reasons? maybe the dog got hunting scent stuff on him?? what??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OStX_wrWGg

Old 03-31-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
TheFragginDragon
...and why only the dog, and not the guy.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
That is a beautiful example of why wild animals should not be socialized to humans. That goose has decided that the dog IS a predator and the human is NOT. It actually looks like a female to me (though I'm only basing that on the size of the knob on the bill so I'm not sure) and she would not be doing that if she didn't for some reason believe that a dog could be a danger she could deal with and a human is a danger she does not need to deal with.

I have African geese. They are not wild animals and are socialized to humans. My geese would do EXACTLY the same thing given the chance. I can't let my dogs in the pen with them~ and they will reach through the fence and nail a dog if one makes the mistake of standing to close to the fence! Luckily~ my geese are too big and heavy to FLY to chase a dog down!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
DAND
When geese attach....

It probably either had eggs or at least a planned nesting spot near by. That and dogs are known to run after geese when given the chance so the goose attacking the dog would be fair play. I have had similar run ins with geese when going fishing or just walking in the park. It's definitely understandable where they came up with the term "getting goosed".

Old 03-31-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Tiger Lilly
That was terrible--I didn't know whether to laugh at the absurdity of it or cry for the poor dog! (Actually, I did both)

Old 03-31-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
Miss Tuniwha
LOL, the end is the best.. Where the goose is actually FLYING/CHASING the boat.

I WILL say.. I am shocked (now a days) that the guy didn't injure the goose.. Way too many people would have

Old 03-31-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
AvandisFifth187
Wow... yea it was prolly either carrying eggs or planning a nest like Dave said. I feel bad for that poor goose and the dog. I don't get why the dude had to grab it by the throat. From my experience, they aren't very dangerous and pretty easy to grab... even when they are flipping out.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tuniwha View Post
LOL, the end is the best.. Where the goose is actually FLYING/CHASING the boat.

I WILL say.. I am shocked (now a days) that the guy didn't injure the goose.. Way too many people would have

Birds generally don't have much of an ability to "smell" so no hunting scent to trigger the behavior. If that is recent footage, it is nesting season and it was nesting most likely protecting a nearby nest from an obviously recognized predator (i.e. dog). Too many humans feed the damn birds so most of them don't see humans as being a threat unlike the dogs that chase them.

As for the guy not killing/injuring the goose... Canada geese are migratory birds and as such are federally protected.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
SPJ
A friend of mine has a watch goose.
The thing will go spaz on anyone coming into the yard it doesn't know.

A place I go fishing around here is a breeding site for geese. DO NOT go near a baby goose or their nest.

Geese are tough birds that don't back down.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
MikeCurtin
If that was my dog, he'd be swimming home! Shameful, I say....shameful! LOL!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!