human heat pads vs reptile heat pads - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-11-2004, 03:11 PM   #1
stephh1
Question human heat pads vs reptile heat pads

Hi all,
I'm in the process of setting up a new enclosure for my new baby, thanks Marcia! It's a 20 gallon long with tile for a substrate and 3 hides (cool, warm, humid). Here's my question, on my other enclosure I had a ZooMed heat pad that ran HOT even with a rheostat set on low. So I'm thinking about using a human head pad instead. Since most of you have a lot of setups I was wondering what you use for belly heat, human heat pad or reptile ones? Thanks in advance your advice is greatly appreciated.

Steph

Old 06-11-2004, 03:23 PM   #2
beakgeek
You might want to try returning the rheostat. I have had bad luck with them. It took me three times with the low end model to get one that worked. I'd hook them up and no matter where I had the dial set the UTH would max out. I have two of the Reptitemp Rheostat Deluxe 500's and they work awesome.

I don't have any experience with Human Heat Pads.

I have also had good luck with flexwatt and a ranco thermostat though. Well worth the money for that thermostat.

Regards,

Terry

Old 06-11-2004, 03:27 PM   #3
Blazin
Human Heating pads

I have used human heating pads before with some success. The thing about them is they have built in temperature controls. I have one going right now just because I am awaiting some more heattape. THe thing that concerns me with them is the potential for fires. Human heat pads were never designed to run continuously like they are somtimes used. Make sure yours is plugged into a thermostat and that it functions properly with it. I would also probably look into getting one of the commercially available small heat tape type heating elements for use with your enclosure. Thats probably your best and SAFEST bet!

Old 06-11-2004, 04:10 PM   #4
Glenn Bartley
The following is my opinion:

Human heat pads as under tank heaters are a high, repeat HIGH, potential fire hazard. They are not intended to be used for long periods, nor are they intended to have heavy objects placed on top of them, nor are they meant to be glued to a tank.

You would be best off investing in a thermostat to control the temps; however a decent rheostat is a good alternative.

Your problem and Terry's, with bad rheostats, and problem UTHs have me wondering if you are doing something wrong. The odds of a heater alone malfunctioning and getting too hot are one thing, and that is fair to high against it happening if the set up of the heater is correct. The odds that both a heater and a rheostat are malfunctioning at the same time for one particular person (and that this has happened more than once) are something much higher against both happening at once. While I know that the UTHs can overheat, and mine have done so, I have never invested in a rheostat or thermostat - but I no longer have a problem. All it took was to figure out what was wrong. One heat pad I had simply malfunctioned. Others did not malfunction but often would overheat for one or a combination of three reasons. All of thesde reasons were errors on my part. Either I had a heat lamp above the same area under which the UTH was located or I did not have enough ventilation under the tank for the UTH (or both) and/or there was too much or improper substrate atop the UTH. Could it be any of these alone, or in any combination, with your UTH?

Many people, as I did, put the UTH and a heat lamp at the same end of the tank. Many a UTH (I think Zoo Med uses this temp. range) is designed to heat 5-10 degrees hotter than the ambient temp (around it). If a heat lamp is already heating that area, then the under tank heater gets hotter than it should because it is trying to make it 5-10 degrees hotter than the ehat lamp is already making it. If you combine this with improper ventilation, then it gets even hotter (improper ventilation by itself is enough to cause the problem). I find that raising the tank at least 1/4 to 1/2 an inch at the UTH end helps, as does moving the heat lamp more toward the center of the tank. Another thing that helps is reducing the amount of insulation above the heater, or in other words making sure you have the proper substrate and the proper amount of it. Too much substrate will keep in too much heat causing the unit to over heat. An improper sunstrate that does not properly conduct heat will also keep in too much heat. What type of tiles are you using and how thick are they. Some tiles are made with fire and or heat resistant material and do not conduct heat at all well. These probably should be avoided above a UTH.

If you want to be on the safe side, do not use a UTH at all but use a ceramic heat emitter from above. One of the proper wattage will provide a suitable basking area, and it can remain on all day since it does not emit visible light at least for humans. (I don't think any light possibly emitted would be visible to geckos either). These are more than sufficient to provide enough heat for a Leopard Gecko to avoid the dreaded 'lack of belly heat syndrome' that I often hear herpers worry about. If you are truly worried about a 'belly' heat issue, I assure the ceramic heat emitter will emit enough heat to warm a basking stone or tile placed in the area directly under the unit on the tank substrate that will allow the stored heat to be taken up into the belly of the beast. Heating from above is a fully suitable method to heat a gecko because any heat radiating down will also be conducted throughout the body of a basking lizard so long as you use a sufficient wattage emitter.

Just my opinion, hope it is helpful.

Best of luck
Glenn B

Old 06-11-2004, 07:13 PM   #5
Xelda
What size tank did you have problems with overheating? Zoo Med's 10-20 gallon UTH should really be for 15-20 gallon tanks. Even with a rheostat, the UTH is just too big for 10 gallon tanks. I find that ZooMed's 5 gallon size UTH works a lot better for 10 gallon tanks.

Old 06-11-2004, 07:32 PM   #6
stephh1
The tank I had it on was a 10 gallon. This tank is a 20 gallon long. Plus I've never used tile before so I hope it gets warm enough. But I will raise the corners of the tank a little to make sure it gets proper ventilation. Thanks all.

Steph

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!