Where to find....... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 09-03-2003, 05:59 PM   #1
gmherps
Question Where to find.......

where does one go to get the rodent lab chow that these big time rodent breeders give there feeders? Is there a website anyone can recommend? Thanks alot!

Greg Holland

Old 09-04-2003, 01:49 PM   #2
Reddiamondback
Its been several years since I had my own little rodent breeding operation ... but I obtained fifty (50) pound bags from a local pet shop that I sold surplus rodents to. At that time it came in at least two "formulations". You should be able to special order from any local pet shop or feed store and depending on your usage they might agree to keep a bag or two in stock for you.

Old 09-04-2003, 02:08 PM   #3
gmherps
Thanks Mike!! Are you also SoCal serpents on Kingsnake.com? Thanks
Greg Holland

Old 09-04-2003, 08:00 PM   #4
Reddiamondback
Nope, no relation. I'm just a Southern California hobbyist who has recently returned to the hobby after a moratorium of a couple years.

Old 09-04-2003, 08:46 PM   #5
Clay Davenport
Be sure to check the formulation of the feed. You want a high percentage protein (20%+ is my preferance).
I've read numerous reports of people who have switched to lab blocks and the mothers started eating their young.

I use a dye free dog food for my mouse colony with 21% protein. Fifty pounds for $10. Despite the claims of a few, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and far more mouse breeders than most realize use it as well.
My mice rarely have litters of less than a dozen and 18 is not uncommon. No problems with eating of the young either.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!