Chat Transcript - March 2 Chat with High Quality Reptiles - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-03-2004, 09:51 AM   #1
KelliH
Chat Transcript - March 2 Chat with High Quality Reptiles

Tue Mar 02 19:10:47 CST 2004
----------------------------------

--------
For tonights gecko Chat we would like to welcome Matt & Susan Charlton from High Quaility Reptiles located in Canada... you can visit their website at http://www.hqreptiles.com/index.html please welcome them to Fauna Chats

--------
KelliH: I would like to thank High Quality Reptiles for being our guest here this evening

hqreptiles: No problem!

JungleHabitats: ok well if you all are ready kelli you have #1

KelliH: ok

KelliH: Hi Matt... When did you hatch out your first red stripe leo, and what are the genetics behind the line?

hqreptiles: Our first Red Stripe hatched out in April 2000. There were two in the clutch and as luck would have it they turned out to be a pair. We started out trying to breed for more defined stripes that would stay striped into adulthood. 2000 was our third generation working with stripes.

KelliH: Have you found them to be a simple recessive trait?

KelliH: or a combination of recessive and selectively bred?

hqreptiles: We have not yet proved if they are a simple recessive or a combination. Our thoughts are that the genetics are closer to what people see in the tangerines. We have been selectivly breeding the Red Stripes for what is now our seventh year. When we bred a male Red Stripe to Albino females, the hatchlings were reduced pattern but not stripes.

hqreptiles: After breeding the posible double het Red Stripe Albinos last year, we did hatch a striped Albino, but not a Red Stripe Albino. We hope to hatch out a Red Stripe Albino this season.

KelliH: thank you

E2MacPets: What percentage of your red stripe bloodline hatchlings are full stripes, jungles, any normals?

hqreptiles: 99% of the babies hatched from Red Stripe adults have full striped tails. About 25% will have jungle type body markings but nearly all have full stripe tails. None have hatched to date that have a banded pattern.

Hlynn1975: how often are you introducing new blood? Or are you still breeding only related leos together in the third generation?

hqreptiles: Every year we introduce new stripe blood from other stripe groups we are working with. This season we have five different breeding groups of Red Stripes. We have only tried to keep the Red Stripe line bred with other Stripes, we have only introduced banded offspring with our Albino Red Stripe project.

Storm55: In an attempt to introduce new blood, what kind off offspring would you get from breeding a red stripe with a normal stripe? Would you be looking for certain traits in the normals?

hqreptiles: When we breed a Red Stripe male to Stripe females, about 25% of the babies are what we would consider Red Stripes. When selecting offspring to hold back we mainly look for defined stripes, and colour secondary to that.

Golden_Gate_Geckos: Where did the original stock come from?
hqreptiles: Various local breeders, mainly it has been selective breeding from our offspring.

robin_d_: any chance of nieves hypo in it?? they seen to throw quit a bit of abbarant and striped babies?

hqreptiles: We did purchase one male stripe from Ron Tremper back in 1999, with our Albino order.

hqreptiles: We have neve purchased geckos from Neives, they do have great looking geckos though.

Intense_Herpetoculture: Do you plan on mixing in various other albinos into the red stripe line, such as Bells or Rainwaters?

hqreptiles: We are breeding a Red Stripe male to several Las Vegas (Rainwater) Albinos this year, and we have a small group of posible double het Red Stripe Tremper Albinos.

KelliH: How do you guys house your adult leos? Rack systems? In colonies or singles?

hqreptiles: We house them in a rack system, all in colonies. We keep our geckos together year round, and let them breed at their own pace. The seasons change quite a bit here in Ontario, so we dont have to do anything special to get them breeding.

KelliH: what type of substrate have you had the most success with?
Monte: Do you have any other cool projects you are working on - if you can share?

hqreptiles: PAPER! Nothing is cleaner.

KelliH: i agree

hqreptiles: Monte: not really, Red Stripe Albinos, and more refined Red Stripes. We are also working on some python projects and knob tail geckos.

KelliH: Storm55, do you have a question?

Storm55: I assume you are aware of the offspring from Ross Payan's Red Stripe. Because these were outcrossed, do you think selective breeding will create a new red stripe bloodline?

hqreptiles: I dont think it would be a new blood line, many people have crossed the different tangerine lines and I wouldnt consider that making a new line. They have the same foundation so when bred together a male from us and a female from Ross should produce Red Stripes.

Monte: What is the Capital of South Dakota? Serioiusly - Have you ever worked on producing tangerine/black stripes

hqreptiles: That was our original goal, but we got a little side tracked. We have some very defined black stripes and some day may hatch out some tangerine/black stripes, but it is not a serious project for us at this time.

KelliH: i would love to see those!

hqreptiles: as for the Capital of South Dakota, I have no clue

robin_d_: what suppliments vitamins and minerals do you use and how often? and also have you noticed this line to fade or brown out with age?

hqreptiles: We use a home made cricket food high in spirulina, and we use minerall for dusting every feeding. Durring breeding our adults do fade, but they seem to bounce back in the off season. The colours are starting to stay even when breeding our F5's this season, but it is a little early to make any assumptions.

Intense_Herpetoculture: Did the red stripe Ross is working with, it came from your stock correct?

hqreptiles: Yes, he purchased a male from us back in 2002.

KelliH: beautiful animal BTW

hqreptiles: Thanks

KelliH: *pats HQR on the back*

hqreptiles: hahaha.

A&M_Gecko: Hi HQ pleasure to chat with you. Did you cross any of your red stripes with the Tremper Albino line?

hqreptiles: Yeah, back in 2002 we bred our founder male to a couple of Tremper Albino Females. Last year we bred the babies back to each other and produce one stripe albino, one stripe, and 2 banded babies. This year we hope to hatch out a Red Stripe Tremper Albino as well as some double het Las Vegas Red Stripes.

diablohogs: ok... whats the url for your website?

hqreptiles: http://www.hqreptiles.com

diablohogs: thank you

KelliH: what knobtails are you working with and do you enjoy working with them? have you had luck breeding them?

hqreptiles: Knob tails for us are a love/hate relationship.... last year we have more eggs then ever before, but they were all infertile.... we have been working with them for as long as we have the Red Stripes, and the Red Stripes are much easier.

KelliH: are you working with levis levis?

hqreptiles: we have had success breeding them in the past but it has beeen an up hill battle. We are working with N. levis pilbarensis, not many of them around and we know why...

hqreptiles: currently we have 2.2

KelliH: yes, i have heard a lot about the problems with them

robin_d_ drools

KelliH: well i wish you much sucess with them this year

hqreptiles: thanks Kelli.

Storm55: In order to refine the red stripes like you have in your more current lines (racing stripes lol) what do you look for in potential breeders?

Storm55: thats ok just trying to think of a way to describe that! LOL

hqreptiles: defined stripes! you can always add in colour, but the pattern seems much harder to keep.

hqreptiles: the darn spots keep wanting to show up
Storm55: So your number one priority is that bold and defined dorsal stripe

hqreptiles: yeah, keep it nice and straight and all the way down from the base of the head to the tail.
Storm55: Have you bred any normal colored geckos with stripes like that?

hqreptiles: dont get me wrong, the jungle pattern Red Stripes are great looking, but it seems so much harder to control.
Storm55: Sorry for hogging questions, that was my last one!

hqreptiles: Not sure if you mean just defined stripes or orange/red stripes on a yellow body..?

Storm55: I am having trouble describing it but your last years clutch stripes are much more defined (close together and parallel) than in years before

hqreptiles: is there one on our site that your refering to? That way I could see it.

Storm55: Have you bred any normal colored geckos with stripes like that as opposed to the average normal stripe?

hqreptiles: they have all come out of our Red Stripe line, which very seldom has any normal(black) stripe geckos hatch.

Storm55: Yes, on my next turn around I will have references...pass for now...

hqreptiles: ok.

Monte: Sorry about the previous interruptions - I'm such a nerd boy - anyway - Did your tang/black stripe project morph into this current redstripe project? When did you notice the change?

hqreptiles: in 2000, when we hatched out them two ugly (hahaha if only I knew at the time what they were) brown stripes.

hqreptiles: that was only our third year breeding leopard geckos, we were just trying to get defined stripes.

KelliH: Ok, robin is away right now, but she wanted me to ask her question for her

hqreptiles: so I guess there wasn't really a slow change, it all happened at once.

KelliH: How many (approximately) red stripes have you produced so far?

hqreptiles: In 2002 we hatched out nearly all males, I think there were around 30 of them that year. we hatched about 20 last year, as well as about 60 Stripe x Red Stripe to add new blood. This year we should produce enough to just fill our preorders (around 100).

Intense_Herpetoculture: You are in Canada right? Did you often ship to customers in the US?

hqreptiles: Yeah, we are up in the Great White North . Shipping to the US is no problem for us, we have our import/export papers and have no problems doing that.

KelliH: Ok, we are about out of time here, does anyone else have any questions that they would like to ask HQR?

A&M_Gecko: Will you be selling any hets or double hets red stripe/tremper albinos this year?

hqreptiles: Justyn, we have shipped out to Hong Kong, Eurpoe, Japan and the US.

hqreptiles: We may offer a very few double hets from both our tremper and las vegas albino groups.

Monte: If you were riding down the street with your tricycle, and all three wheels fell off, how many marbles would it take to fill up the Empire state building - true or false

diablohogs: false

diablohogs: wait no...true

Intense_Herpetoculture: Ok, I guess it is open chat now, Thank you aagain HQ Reptiles and stick around if you would like!

Monte: thanks Matt!!

KelliH: Thanks everybody

JungleHabitats: thanks HQR

hqreptiles: no problem, its been fun.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!