Breeding question...? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-04-2005, 11:44 PM   #1
Southwick Herps
Breeding question...?

This might be an obvious question...
But, do female leo's ovulate like snakes do, when they are going to produce eggs? I wouldnt expect the shed, because of how often they can lay eggs, but do they ovulate, and look nice and fat like boas, and balls and whatnot?
Xavier, I think the male might be already working the 2 girls... The lighter colored, faded girl is about 3x wider now than when I got them...

Old 11-05-2005, 02:48 AM   #2
Xavier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwick Herps
This might be an obvious question...
But, do female leo's ovulate like snakes do, when they are going to produce eggs? I wouldnt expect the shed, because of how often they can lay eggs, but do they ovulate, and look nice and fat like boas, and balls and whatnot?
Xavier, I think the male might be already working the 2 girls... The lighter colored, faded girl is about 3x wider now than when I got them...
They typically have follices which are vissable thru thier stomachs when they are mature and ready to breed. They don't have a pre egg laying shed like snakes yet do have a noticable girth increase when ovulating. I have no suprise about him already mating with them, they where plenty ready been a few months since they laid thier last eggs and he was of size as well.
Best of luck
Xavier

Old 11-05-2005, 09:59 AM   #3
Southwick Herps
Thanks, the girls tolerate handling too, so today when I move them into their more perminant tanks, I can check for follicles.
I'm setting the 2 girls up together in a 32qt tub, the male in his own 32qt tub, and the little girl in a shoebox tub. I might look around at the next reptile show, and add a male with some blizzard blood to him, So the little girl, and 1 of the 2 big girls you sent me will be poppin out blizzards.

Old 11-05-2005, 10:20 AM   #4
Xavier
We'll if they have bred already and the female had follicles when I sent them (which is very possible) they might ver well have eggs now. Good luck, remember that blizzard is possible het albino. I'd actually recommand you breed her to the hybino if you get go out and purchase a male blazing, if she is het albino and you breed her to an albino 1/2 the babies will be albinos and all will be het blizzard....
Xavier

Old 11-05-2005, 10:55 AM   #5
Southwick Herps
Blazing blizzard is just an albino blizzard? I'm still not up to date on all my leo genetics, and morphs and such...

Old 11-05-2005, 12:33 PM   #6
Xavier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwick Herps
Blazing blizzard is just an albino blizzard? I'm still not up to date on all my leo genetics, and morphs and such...
Thats right, so if you produce babies from the hybino male bred to the double hets you would get 50% albino 50% normals and 50% of those would be hets for blizzard but you wouldn't know which ones are het for blizzard.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!