Rack/Cage building... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-18-2004, 08:31 AM   #1
ChuUtena
Rack/Cage building...

Anyone here build their own racks or cages? I'm going to have $125 to spend on something, and something tells me it'll be cheaper to build than to buy. I'm not sure where to go to find out, so I thought I'd try here first. Where would I get materials to build it, because melamine is too heavy I'm going to maybe get that pvc stuff? Just wondering if anyone can help, this is my goal for the day, lol build something. Thanks!

Old 05-18-2004, 10:17 AM   #2
Snakebyt
i have built all mine from melamine, it is heavy, but its cheap and readily available

Old 05-18-2004, 01:51 PM   #3
diablohogs
i suggest you go with melamine. a sheet is about 20 or 30 dollars but would provide you with plenty to build your rack.

heat tape... id get the 3 or 4 inch flexwatt and you can find that at Bean Farm at a good price.

youll need a table saw (or something that will cut through melamine in a strait line) and a drill and some screws.

i highly suggest you wire the flexwatt to a dimmer or thermostat. i seen thermostats selling for like 20 bucks on here somewhere... mine is wired to a dimmer switch in a side mounting gang box. youll need wire nuts as well.

as far as tubs (sterilite or rubbermaid 6 qt. shoeboxes) you can find these at walmart, k-mart, target, longs ect...

cut the melamine, measure the heigth of the shoebox, cut an additional two pieces of scrap melamine to that heigth (youll use these to make sure your shelves are uniform), assemble rack using melamine scrap pieces, screws and drill. theres your rack.

wire the flexwatt. you can get instuctions on Clay Davenport's Website .

drill holes in the shoeboxes and you're done.

Old 05-18-2004, 02:13 PM   #4
Blazin
I have made a few racks.

Your right melamine is heavy. One of my racks I tried to get around this by using some 1/2 inch pieces for the inner shelves. This did take some weight away but was minimal. I think if your considering using expanded PVC sheets it would be more economical just to buy some racks already made. Boaphile and Natures Spirit reptiles are two businesses that come to mind. You might end up spending a little more, but when you really look at it you will probably come out better in the long run. For one thing working with the expanded sheets of PVC is going to require specialized tools. Plastic welder etc,etc. Then the time factor. If you have never done any kind of construction its going to be a lengthy process. I mean if you have the capabilities and the tools by all means make your own stuff. If not I think buying some premade racks from someone is an excellent alternative. Just my two cents.

Old 05-18-2004, 02:20 PM   #5
diablohogs
Red face

its true what blazin said... without some knowledge in wiring, cutting and basic construction skills you'd be better off buying a prefabricated one but i have seen them being sold for ridiculous prices so shop around.

Old 05-18-2004, 02:42 PM   #6
Snakebyt
a table saw makes it alot easier, but you can use a circular saw with a 2X4 and a couple of clamps to use as a guide... animal plastics is a good place for racks as well.

Old 05-18-2004, 03:16 PM   #7
E2MacPets
Terry, Kristen knows all about AP

Old 05-18-2004, 05:10 PM   #8
ChuUtena
Well I built my newest creation. I'll post a picture later tonight. But what type of flexwatt should I use, the 11inch or the 3 or 4 inch? My whole rack is about 40 inchs tall, 26 inches wide, and 14 inches deep. What would you well seasoned rack users/builders recommend? Thanks for all the input guys!!

Old 05-18-2004, 05:20 PM   #9
diablohogs
Quote:
heat tape... id get the 3 or 4 inch flexwatt and you can find that at Bean Farm at a good price.

Old 05-18-2004, 06:43 PM   #10
ChuUtena
So the 3/4 inch will heat tape will heat up the whole rack? Because in the rack I have now, it has the 11 inch heat tape. I guess I'm just afraid it won't be warm enough, because over the winter my rack wasnt warm enough. Thanks again!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!