PRO EXOTICS burning! - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #41
SamanthaJane13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH View Post
Thank you Casey! You are so right, now is not the time for that. Now is the time to put our collective arms around our herp brothers and support them through the shock and the loss.

I agree!

Hind-sight is 20/20, and you can't beat yourself or anyone else up.

This was a lesson to all of us.

You live, you learn, and you go on.

Pro Exotics needs US to be behind them.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #42
Killer Chams
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzoo View Post
Yes this can be debated all day - maybe sprinklers aren't the answer but IMHO if you are at the level of a PE and responsible for the well being of 3,000 animals, have an unoccupied building at night, had many thousands in inventory and fixtures and you already are paying for a burglar alarm company - wouldn't ya think you'd want to have monitoring for smoke and temperature too? It just makes no sense to me. Probably just a couple bucks more per month..... hell I know a person who raises guinea pigs that has that stuff in her buildings- she gets a call if the building gets 5 degrees over what it should be! Let alone hot enough to break the windows!

You have to be pro-active with this stuff but too many people are so keen on getting the next hot new morph or species that they skimp on the basics like an adequate electrical system, smoke detection, etc.

Allow me to play devils advocate:
If PE let all their animals starve to death, for example, there would be a huge uproar in the herp community but here they basically let all their animals die by apparently not having any early smoke/fire detection system in place, but thats o.k. I guess and they will get sympathy...? Most likely this fire started out as a small smoldering type thing from a heat or electrical source and could have easily been detected early on.

Its unfortunate situation but hopefully this will be a wake up call for others! Be overly cautious, have redundant systems, think of all possible scenarios that could happen to your facility - Especially with all the potential fire hazards used with reptiles!
Dude your not playing devils advocate here. Your piling on someone that just lost 20yrs worth of their life. You obviously dont know any real information about this tragedy your simply giving everyone a lesson on what YOU would have done after the fact.

As someone who actually owns a business and RENTS from a large commercial property management company. I can relate real exp when dealing with these companies. They dont just allow tenants to alter their properties because the tenants need a sprinkler system and request one be added or even added at the tenants expense. Often they simply deny the request or give reasons why they dont allow these type systems in their properties. And as an insurance agent myself I can say as others have stated its most often tied to commercial liability by the property owner if one of these systems malfunctioned.

Chad did a live interview and Robyn has stated she had talked with the business centers owners about fire protection. I know myself as a tenant our needs are often overlooked by property owners. And dont come back on her dzoo and say well they should have moved then. When ppl say things like that they have no idea how time consuming & how much money it costs a company to move. Its not as simple as packing up the snakes & racks & moving them. They have to build out a new location, pay for new advertising, change phone systems. All that eats at a companies profits. So im sure they did everything humanly possible to prevent this but accidents do happen. Thats why I have a job.

Chad & Robyn need the herp community to help them rebuild. What they dont need are know it all narcissistic jerks telling them how they screwed up. You know if your ever in a fire or a hurricane or a tornado and your home is destroyed how would you like the disaster team to come by and say your house would still be here if you'd gotten off your butt and boarded up. Basically thats what your telling PE with your statements.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #43
akaangela
I am SO sorry for them. This is a nightmare beyond belief. All the dinkers, all the dreams and plans gone. I can't even imagine the heartache. Is anyone taking donations or is there a place we can paypal donations to them?

Old 10-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #44
Wolfy-hound
ProExotics site has a paypal, you could probably just paypal donations to them, marked "Donations". That's what I'm going to do.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #45
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaangela View Post
I am SO sorry for them. This is a nightmare beyond belief. All the dinkers, all the dreams and plans gone. I can't even imagine the heartache. Is anyone taking donations or is there a place we can paypal donations to them?
Yep, you can send it directly to them at Robyn@proexotics.com. Robyn is even sweet enough to write and say thanks. What a great coupla guys.

I hope they're back and better than ever soon.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #46
Casey Hulse
Quote:
What a great coupla guys.
You can say that again!
Met them over the weekend. The promoters (Bob and Brian) at the NARBC Tinley set aside a portion of the auction night for Pro Exotics, Robyn was there (Chad was at his sons football game and arrived Sun. am) and I'll tell you what, it was incredible. So much emotion displayed by so many people there. It was something that I will not forget. We really do have some fantastic people in this hobby!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!