Lack of customer service from sellers - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:40 AM   #1
Jynxx25
Lack of customer service from sellers

The common issue I realize on this site is the lack of customer service to almost being downright rude behavior.

I understand things are posted and the common response seems to be "read the description" or "it's in the description"; but this is a major turn off when shopping and/or purchasing a pet. For the most part it feels like communicating with a teenager or an adult that lacks good social mannerisms.

I had purchased a snake earlier which I found many of my questions from the seller "it's in the description" or "I already told you that"; when in fact information like "When was the snake last fed" was not answered.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:53 AM   #2
nickolasanastasiou
I moved this to the General Business Discussions section since it is suitable for it (and not formatted in the manner the BOI would require). If you do decide to name any seller specifically, that would go on the BOI (and I would ask that you read the stickied rules thread, which is highlighted in red, near the top of the BOI before you do if so). Thanks.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
Herpin Man
I have noticed the same thing.
What you need to realize is that the herp "business" is not like most other businesses. Herp sellers do not necessarily have any background in business, sales, or customer service. Rather, they are hobbyists that decided, to whatever degree, to make a business out of it. Many herp sellers don't necessarily have the same service or communications skills one would expect when purchasing other products. This is especially apparent in the BOI; the way some "business" people talk to their customers when there is a dispute can be truly horrific.
On the other hand, I think that herp sellers can become jaded after a period of time. The daily grind of answering questions for dreamers, tire kickers and others with no intention of buying, scammers, low-ballers, shoplifters etc. probably gets old after a while. I think this is particularly true in the case of retail herp store owners. That is one reason that I have never wanted to own a pet store.
For the buyer, the solution is relatively simple- only buy from sellers that offer good service and treat their customers with respect. There are quite a few of them here.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
snowgyre
I think you're making a mountain over a molehill. You're new to the site, so you probably are not aware that most people do not check threads frequently for updates, but instead rely upon notifications from the private messaging system or direct contact through emails.

Also, it is rather bold of you to make a sweeping, mostly inaccurate statement concerning customer service by sellers on this site when you joined last month and made a total of four posts, two of which occurred in one advertisement for sand boas. You were gently reprimanded by one of the moderators for lack of reading comprehension in the advertisement itself, and then the seller noticed his thread had been bumped and responded.

Buying and selling goes both ways, and sellers can choose not to sell to you just as quickly as you can choose not to purchase from a buyer. Right now you are coming off as a high maintenance buyer, which most sellers steer way clear of because of silly threads like this.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #5
Jynxx25
Vanessa, it is rather bold of you to assume that since I am new to the site that I am in experienced.

I been keeping, breeding, trading, and selling reptiles and animals as a hobby for over 20 years.

My main job is in IT Desktop Support that I been in for 22 years.

I been a seller on eBay since 1998.

I recently moved on from fine art photography which last 10 years, which included wedding/family/business clients, presentations/workshops to students, as well as Gallery associations.

One thing as a customer in all those industries that I learned over the years is nothing says take your money and move on that bad customer service.

First, in this tech age we become multi-taskers even with multiple professions, hobbies, and family obligations. I find it hard to believe that someone who is posting on this site to sell does not have time or time to waste in answering questions, even if it is already stated in the post. If someone is too busy for that, perhaps they should not be breeding and selling.

Sellers and breeders need to understand for every buyer you have, you may have 5, 10, or even 30 non-buyers.

You are right, it is a two way negotiation. By me asking questions and being a "high maintenance buyer" I am thinking of the good of the reptile. I sm assessing whether you are a high maintenance seller or breed that keeps the parameters for the snake that are not nesscary or improper, which could lead to stress of the pet adjusting to the new environment.

So Vanessa, I gladly took my $500 and purchased from a brick and mortar shop that took the time to answer my questions. Now the White Diamond Ball is thriving.

This was not the case from my first online purchase ever that was through this site, in which the snake died 8 days later. Which made me very weary from making an online purchase of anything living.

Finally, to judge me on my post from my stats is not accurate. You do not know how many private messages and emails I sent inquirying about snakes on this site; only to recieve one or two word answers that are ambiguous, which leads me to a follow-up making me seem high maintenance.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #6
Beyond GenetiX
I'm with Vanessa on this, that is a pretty wide net you just cast. I have strived for excellent customer service in the three years I've been here. I agree there are guys that are difficult to buy from and I've even received poorly packaged animals from "big names". I have also received some great stuff from some people that's never been heard of. Long story short, check the BOI, it is a great tool. If you spend enough time on here, you can quickly figure out, the good and the bad.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #7
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynxx25 View Post
By me asking questions and being a "high maintenance buyer" I am thinking of the good of the reptile. I sm assessing whether you are a high maintenance seller or breed that keeps the parameters for the snake that are not nesscary or improper, which could lead to stress of the pet adjusting to the new environment.
On the other hand, asking a lot of basic questions could signal to the seller that you do not have the critter's well being in mind because you won't take the little time it would take to do an internet search and find info.

There is a satisfactory half way point (in my opinion). Go to the discussion forums here and ask your questions, (general questions not for a specific company) that is what they are here for. And the bonus for taking the time to do so is that the next guy will see both question and answer, and be that much ahead.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #8
snowgyre
I wasn't asking for a resume. You are appealing to authority by listing all of your job experiences rather than just admitting that perhaps you are partially at fault here. I agree with Lucille in that if you are asking a seller oddles of basic information that is already in the advertisement itself (which was part of your complaint in your original post) then I would be leery to sell to you. Reading comprehension is a thing, and tire kickers get old fast. On the flip side, for every sale that I make here, I get 5-10 tire kickers. I don't have much patience for buyers who ask me information that was already present in the advertisement. Additionally, the seller did actually contact you, you simply chose to ignore the PMs he sent you, and you complained just 12 hours after he made the initial advertisement. Come on now...

Old 02-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
Jynxx25
Okay guys. In regards to BOI, I did check that forum out first and daily to see what is going on with whom to stay informed. Those I purchased from were not on there, in fact before purchasing or trying to purchase I do a search to see if there are additional negative/positive posts.

As far as research on the interest; you cannot trust everything that is out there. For example, there are sources that say Pothos plants are safe and other sources that state they are not.

This is why I ask a seller how is the health, temperament, and activity level of the snake. Then follow up with the substrate used, temp/humidity, and enclosure size. Consistently is the key, but within the preferential parameters of the snake/reptile.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #10
Jynxx25
This site is not for me with the membership trolling. Thank you for confirming that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!