mites???? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
crotalusadamanteus
I believe RID may be the same stuff. Don't know, but I've read it. I still have my first can of PAM. LOL (Provent-A-Mite sorry for not clarifying.)

Black Knight is back too. BK II. Probably cheaper than PAM and safer for the snake too, if I remember right. But I don't remember where I saw it, or the link. I'm sure a google search would reveal it.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
I believe RID may be the same stuff. Don't know, but I've read it. I still have my first can of PAM. LOL (Provent-A-Mite sorry for not clarifying.)

Black Knight is back too. BK II. Probably cheaper than PAM and safer for the snake too, if I remember right. But I don't remember where I saw it, or the link. I'm sure a google search would reveal it.

y'know ive always wondered where and why the Pam spray came into play( for the reason that, a) its a freakin cooking spray*WHY would it ever even be thought of!?* , and b) what the heck is it gonna do in the first place other than coat the suckers in grease?) ... and that certainly explains it Abbreviations *pokes*

Old 02-12-2008, 09:13 PM   #13
crotalusadamanteus
Olive oil is a proved mite treatment for snakes. LOL It suffocates the mites, and they just die and wipe off.

Pretty lousy for treating substrate though.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #14
The BoidSmith
Guys,

Check Wal-Mart's lice killer "Equate" it's the same product at the same concentration as Provent-a-mite but at a fraction of the cost; it's in the pharmacy section.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #15
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
Olive oil is a proved mite treatment for snakes. LOL It suffocates the mites, and they just die and wipe off.

Pretty lousy for treating substrate though.

LOL id imagine so

Cant say id be one to try using olive oil personally, but hey! I suppose if it really works for killing the adults at least. power to those who want to use it

Old 02-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #16
geckogrl6
I'd def be up for tryin olive oil before some crazy half-toxic chemical stuff. I'd rather have a slippery greasy snake than an anemic one! I will check on all those great product tips, thank you so much!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #17
Mooing Tricycle
reptile relief is a great alternative if it wasnt already mentioned. it can be sprayed/wiped directly on the animal ( im much too lazy to go back and look )

Old 02-12-2008, 10:04 PM   #18
crotalusadamanteus
Got a big bottle of that too. I've used it on a few rescued reptiles. Works great if you do it right.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #19
geckogrl6
Now I'm confused.... do I need to treat the snake for wood mites? Are all of the products mentioned preventions for mites to use on substrate? Do I need to use something on the tank itself when I switch to cypress? How urgent is any of this, given that what I saw seems to be very small numbers of wood mites? Do they pose any danger to the animal? What kind of problems will I have if/when the population of wood mites increases? Would it if I begin treating the substrate?

Old 02-13-2008, 08:37 PM   #20
The BoidSmith
Lisa,

Wood mites do not pose a threat to your snake. If you are treating your snake with Provent a Mite it will kill both the blood-sucking mites as well as the wood mites.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!