Stop Breeding! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-14-2005, 02:07 PM   #1
Lydia270
Stop Breeding!

I want a bearded dragon but have a few problems!
In books and internet pages i have looked at it tells me bearded dragons are best kept in pairs or groups, i know i can't have to males, but i have also read that females get lots of ovary problems and die young, so i then thought a male and a female(s) (as what i read suggests this is the best) but how would you stop them breeding? Theres no point of getting 2(+) together if they are going to have be sparated most of the time. Is it possible to stop them breeding - i have heard alot about temperature starting the breeding, wont they breed unless it is the right temp? Are there other ways of stopping them breeding?
HELP!

Old 07-14-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
hockeymom
My Son has kept just one male dragon for several years. He's a great buddy to my son and has done well by himself. He hands out on the couch and watches TV with us and doesn't seem to be lonely.
My suggestion would be just get one male and enjoy him.
Hockeymom

Old 07-14-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
Lydia270
Why can't two females be kept togther? - none of the things i have read mention it at all

Old 07-14-2005, 03:36 PM   #4
sirenofthestorm
Groups are nice but not necessary IMO unless you're breeding. I can't recall having any females or hearing about any females in particular that died from being eggbound without first breeding, but all things are possible. Get one of either sex and enjoy it, beardies make great pets.

Old 07-14-2005, 03:38 PM   #5
Lydia270
Thanx

Old 07-14-2005, 04:00 PM   #6
Lydia270
so why can't female bearded dragon be kept together?

Old 07-14-2005, 04:14 PM   #7
Lydia270
I wouldn't want to sell the eggs and i dont have the equipment to keep them, a guy said at the pet shop that they wont hatch under a certain tempeature and just to put the eggs in a freezer! - that seems cruel

Old 07-14-2005, 05:50 PM   #8
rujonesin
Female bearded dragons can be kept in groups. They do better if they are raised together from babies but I have successfully introduced adults together and keep them together at all times. Sometimes there is slight aggression in the cage. They go through stages of "who's the boss". I also have photos of two females in the breeding position. I'm talking tail lifted, one under the other, the whole deal. Both females have since laid eggs after being placed with males so no doubts on the sexes. You do not have to have beardies in groups. One will do just fine by itself. I have noticed that when they are caged together they do interact with each other. Two females are great. I'm not sure where you read that it is best to keep a male and female together though. That is not really that good of advice. I know people who house pairs together year round successfully but I think the female would lay eggs far too early to be healthy for her.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:33 PM   #9
Rebel Dragons
There is absolutely nothing wrong with 2 or even 3 females being housed together. They will sometimes go through a bit of an adjustment period but once they find their place all calms down. An occasional flare up will occur from time to time, but nothing major.

A male and female beardie kept together will eventually breed. Even without brumation it will eventually happen. Most often at too young of an age which could lead to health issues.

A lone dragon does great too, male or female. They can live their entire lives without ever seeing nother dragon and won't effect them at all.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:20 PM   #10
some_lizard_guy
It is *ok* to keep a dragon alone. But, IMO, they do better in groups (whether composed of just females or a male and several *adult* females). If you kept two, even if both were females, you would see more natural "dragon behavior" going on. Another benefit I have noticed from keeping groups of BDs is that they tend to be more active then when kept in groups compared to when kept alone, activity is always healthy (and dragons do need excercise to prevent fatty liver and other health problems). I would go ahead and get two females if I were you (keep in mind though that young dragons are harder to sex properly, so be wary of people selling sexed babies).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!