turtle study - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 03-15-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
mohawk 1
turtle study

i am doing a turtle inventory on St. Lawrence River, near Cornwall Ont. Snappers,map,painted,blanding's. Would welcome any advice,comments from anyone near here. ect. Ottawa.

Old 03-15-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
RyanBolton
What is this study for?

Old 03-15-2006, 01:05 PM   #3
mohawk 1
turtle survey

It is sponsored by U.S. fish &wildlife service. And is a population study of these turtles on the reserve.

Old 03-15-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
RyanBolton
Have you got the proper documentation to study the two species at risk and one specially protected reptile?

Old 03-15-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
mohawk 1
turtle survey

Yes I have all of the needed paperwork

Old 03-15-2006, 02:49 PM   #6
RyanBolton
That's good. Please forgive my questions, but this is a public forum and anyone can come on here asking for location information (incidentally, no responsible person would post such information regarding at risk species on a public forum). I would love to help you but you should be contacting people directly through Environment Canada, CWS and other avenues (or having a look at the research being done at surrounding universities and contacting the researchers). Do the USFWS really support your soliciting this type of information on a public forum? This seems quite unorganized (sponsoring a project that entails the collection of location information on public forums). The USFWS have plenty of contacts with herpetologists in Canada and I am sure your superiors could supply you with this information. If you would like to send me your research plan and supporting documents (research permits, etc.) then I would be happy to help you out.
My e-mail is boltonr@uoguelph.ca
Cheers.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:12 PM   #7
mohawk 1
F&ws is not really sponsoring this project, the Mohawk tribe is. What I'm trying to make is contacts. There will be only 2or3 persons working on this. I am not looking for more staff rather info or hints to make my task easier. Sorry if I did not make myself clear. I have been on the Brooks Lab web site.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:30 PM   #8
RyanBolton
My apologies, I realize now that you didn't ask for location information. I assumed that the comments and suggestions you were looking for were the locations of populations to survey. If you have specific comments regarding methodology or anything else then please ask. Though, again, this might not be the best place to find this kind of information.
Cheers,
Ryan

Old 03-16-2006, 07:03 PM   #9
Ross Buskard
Sorry but it sounds like a load of Bull to me. First US fish and wildlife is sponsoring the study and then it's sponsored by the Mohawk tribe. Sounds more like someone fishing for population locales in order to collect. If it was legit US Fish and Wildlife or Wildlife Canada would be more than happy to help and you wouldn't be fishing on line.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:23 AM   #10
RyanBolton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Buskard
First US fish and wildlife is sponsoring the study and then it's sponsored by the Mohawk tribe.
That's where my mistrust lies as well. I am more than happy to work with USFWS supported researchers (the USFWS has been more than accommodating when I am on the other side of the border) but they need to come through the proper channels (through my lab or CWS - not an internet forum...).