Best Frozen Rodent Supplier? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 11-12-2005, 04:05 PM   #1
jsrocket
Best Frozen Rodent Supplier?

I have been buying my feeders locally, but as of late, my supplier has been less than consistent. Also, when I thaw the feeders, the skin is of such poor integrity that the insides fall out from the least little squeeze. This is nasty AND wasteful. I try to explain to my constrictors that they don't need to squeeze the hell out of a rat that's already dead, but they don't listen. Almost like they were deaf.

Anyhow, I have a pretty straightforward question:

Which frozen rodent company do you think has the best product, service and price?

Old 11-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
hhmoore
I'm happy with Rodent Pro. I don't use them for all my needs, but when I need to supplement that's who I call (so to speak)

Old 11-12-2005, 06:10 PM   #3
coyote
Big Cheese Rodents is my 1st choice.
They are vacuum packed on trays, excellent quality and uniform in size. Also, he has the best shipping fee of the bunch.
Accepts PayPal
Only problem is that he doesn't always have rats.
Very honest businessman. Willing to be accommodating to personal needs and preferences.
Toll free number

I just made my first order with the Mouse Factory.
Shipping package was very professional. Fee a bit steep.
High quality product, vacuum packed on trays.
A bit of inconsistency with sizing. But, since I have 10 snakes it works out better that way.
Rats are either all white, hooded or brown. I have no snakes that are particular about color so this is not a problem for me.
Excellent communication/Excellent customer service.
Accept PayPal.
Toll Free number.

I tend to choose vendors that
#1 have a high quality product
#2 Have excellent customer service
#3 Are reliable
#4 accept PayPal
as this is how I prefer to pay.

Both of the vendors above meet these criteria.

I have purchased from Rodent Pro.
I was satisfied with the product.
It is the only place I know of where I can get quail chicks.
Detractions, Do not vacuum pack, everything is tossed into a ziplock-type bag.
Shipping fees are a bit steep in comparison to others.
They don't always have rats either.

If you haven't done so already, I am pretty sure there are at least a few threads about the different companies. Do a search and see what has been said.

Old 11-12-2005, 09:00 PM   #4
dragonflyreptiles
yourself, if you have even 1 snake as I do now breeding and freezing your own are the best source. (Although I do have the mouse breeders for pinks for my leos) it comes in handy to have my own rodent breeders for my new snake needs.

Buy a 1.2 of adult mice (or what size you need) then let them go at it and make your own supplies.

Breeding your own is the only 100% way to know how they are raised, fed and frozen. It also goes back to spend $15 once to save $100 a year from now on or more!

Old 11-13-2005, 07:46 AM   #5
jsrocket
Practically speaking, it is much more realistic for me to buy frozen. I have over 30 snakes at the moment, and they eat everything from small pinkies to rabbits. I don't really have enough room to breed all those feeders.

I guess you're right , though, it's the only way to know for sure how they were grown and processed.

Old 11-13-2005, 10:53 AM   #6
Cat_72
LOL, I raise some of my own too, nice to have when you need to feed live on occasion........but I'm just not willing to devote that much time and space to raising enough mice and rats to feed all of them.

I only use Big Cheese....the guy (sorry, I forget his name, I haven't had enough coffee yet!) is great to deal with, the rodents appear very fresh and firm, and the sizes are VERY consistant, something I've noticed that isn't always true with some of the other companies.

On the rare occasion he hasn't had the rat size I need, it seems that the other big companies have been short on that size as well.....certain times of the year, I think they all go through it....but he's always bent over backwards to help me out, and at least send a partial order of that size until he can completely fill it. Only one time has he not been able to fill it completely. His prices are very competitive as well.

Given the choice, I wouldn't go anywhere else!

Old 11-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #7
jsrocket
I have heard good things about Big Cheese, so I went to place an order, to check it out.
Well, they're out of large rats, (as is everyone else, I guess).

I'll have to beg, borrow and steal snake food for a while.

Either that, or go down to the dump with a .22

Old 11-13-2005, 01:32 PM   #8
Cat_72
LOL, ain't that the way things always seem to go???

Can you make do with a medium or small rat for the time being? Mine will kinda look at me funny when I give them a small instead of a large, but they eat it anyway....

Old 11-13-2005, 04:24 PM   #9
coyote
Lack of rats is the reason why I went ahead and ordered from mousefactory.com.
Have you called them to see if they have what you need?

I too was literally out of one size that I needed. The snakes ended up waiting 10 days to eat instead of the usual 7. But I just bumped everyone up a size, so the "appetite" wait worked out well. It might be time to lengthen the time between feedings now anyway.

Long story short, they had what I needed. It came on time. Everybody's happy.

I think the Big Cheese guy's name is Chad.

Old 11-13-2005, 09:27 PM   #10
Laura
Does anyone know of a good frozen rodent supplier in or near Arizona? I haven't been able to find one, and the shipping from the companys farther away is pretty expensive.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!