Bumps on the pups legs? What is biting them? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
As far as I can tell it's not spreading at all. I really think it's a bug bite or sting of some kind. But I can't figure out what could have nailed them that caused a big old wart looking thing. Taters doesn't appear to bug him at all~ it's light pink and looks exactly like a wart. I would have thought it was just a wart if it wasn't for the thing on Crickets foot and remembering that about a month ago Tater had an owie of some kind in that exact same spot.

Crickets is red and inflamed~ but she licks at it some and I know I've seen it bleed a few times~ mostly when she catches it on something~ it is raised pretty high and I've seen her catch it on the fence or scrape it on the ground. She acts like it hurts or stings when I spray the blue Kote on it (Blue Kote is an antiseptic spray for livestock~ for anyone that doesn't know).

Old 09-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #12
techgirl
May want to get them scraped for mange or check for chigger bites(though I highly doubt the chiggers). Could be embedded thorns or brambles. Good luck finding out.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #13
pcrooker
Cheryl,

One of my pups got something that looked identical to your pics. It ended up that it was a small bite/cut that was infected and developed a cyst. The vet gave me some antibiotic cream and it cleared it up pretty quickly. I will look for the paperwork to see if the name of the infection and medication is on there...

Old 09-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #14
Cat_72
Cheryl,

From the pics, they almost look like pyoderma, or "hot spots". Some dogs can just be prone to getting them (my Bloodhound seemed to get a couple every summer, never figured out exactly why). They can start with a small wound or irritation, but then being in damp conditions (wet grass in the pasture) and being thickly-coated dogs, they sometimes don't get dried properly, and if they are itching/irritated and licking at them, they can get worse.

I've seen dogs with awful cases that take a lot to get healed up, or I've seen dogs that will just get a small one or two in very localized areas, depending on the cause and location. If this is the case, usually clipping any hair away from the site, cleaning with a good antiseptic daily, and applying a "hot spot" treatment usually clears them up quickly. You can usually get a spray that will take care of it, sometimes one with a corticosteroid to help relieve the itching really helps as well.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #15
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
thanks everyone. I haven't found the black light yet (small nightmares and a giant headache breaking out here pretty much all day) but I'll ask the boys if they've seen it. Meanwhile~ I think I'll not worry about Taters for now~ it doesn't look like anything more than just a wart so I think I'll just watch it. For Cricket~ I've got some antibiotic cream and some Bitter apple spray. I'm thinking medicate the foot and the spray it to keep her from licking at it. I do have a cone I can put on her if I have to~ but I really think that will be counterproductive as there is no where she can be with that cone and not injure herself on it.

If I don't see some improvement within the week I'll break down and take her to the vet.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #16
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72 View Post
From the pics, they almost look like pyoderma, or "hot spots".
This is what I thought too when I first looked at the pics.

Though in my experience the dogs themselves make it worse by continuing to chew on the spot. With our last Rott we had to put antibiotics on it and a chewing deterrent on top of a bandage around his paw because he would just keep ripping it open.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #17
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I took her to the vet yesterday because it wasn't getting any better. In fact~ it seems to be getting worse. Vet says it is either a "lick sarcomba (SP?)" which is not real likely as it has not improved with a week of wearing a cone. Or it's a "Hemeo-something or other" (I forget the exact word he used) basically a tumor~ which again is not real likely because she is so young (4 months old). So since he was not sure and there is not a lot of extra skin on her foot to cover with if he surgically removes it~ he gave her a steroid shot and some antibiotic pills for 10 days~ and if it doesn't show improvement in the next ten days he is going to surgically remove whatever it is.

While I was there the other vet saw me~ asked what was up~ and then told me "Man~ if it CAN happen it WILL happen to you!" Yep~ apparently I'm in the vet so often they don't even ask who I am~ they see me pull in and pull my records and set up a room for me.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #18
techgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Marchek AKA JM View Post
I took her to the vet yesterday because it wasn't getting any better. In fact~ it seems to be getting worse. Vet says it is either a "lick sarcomba (SP?)" which is not real likely as it has not improved with a week of wearing a cone. Or it's a "Hemeo-something or other" (I forget the exact word he used) basically a tumor~ which again is not real likely because she is so young (4 months old). So since he was not sure and there is not a lot of extra skin on her foot to cover with if he surgically removes it~ he gave her a steroid shot and some antibiotic pills for 10 days~ and if it doesn't show improvement in the next ten days he is going to surgically remove whatever it is.

While I was there the other vet saw me~ asked what was up~ and then told me "Man~ if it CAN happen it WILL happen to you!" Yep~ apparently I'm in the vet so often they don't even ask who I am~ they see me pull in and pull my records and set up a room for me.
I think you mean a lick granuloma and histiocytoma. Sorry I love it when people say words like that. Lick granulomas are a PITA to sometimes get rid of because of the obsessive licking that they can do, if you can get your hands on some Synotic with Banamine added to it from your vet and apply a few drops to the area a few times a day, that should help(along with an elizabethan collar) . Histiocytomas that occur in young dogs mostly tend to be benign tumors that resolve on their own. If it's not gone by the time she's spayed, I would recommend having it removed at that time and biopsied. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!