all-black snakes in Florida? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
zorak1
all-black snakes in Florida?

A 2-foot or so all-black snake slithered across the pool patio outside at my
home here in Boca Raton FL. What all-black snakes are there that fit this
description for this location?
I'm guessing it is an Eastern Indigo Snake but was not able to get a picture
in time. When it heard me coming it has already turned a corner. In a matter
of seconds when I caught up, it was gone with no trace.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

-zorak1

Old 08-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
WJS Herps
Sounds like a black racer. It would look all black if you did not see the chin. Was it slender or heavy bodied?

By far, the snake I see most frequently in FL, especially when it's hot, is the black racer.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
stolenheron
I'd be absolutely shocked if you saw a eastern indigo in boca raton. I'd put my money on a black racer. I've seen BRs with barely a hint of white on the chin where I live, and I've caught them up to 5ft long ( i have pictures). the closest thing to an Indigo in looks that I have ever seen haha

Old 09-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
zorak1
Aren't there indigo snakes just a few miles
west in the Everglades?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
stolenheron
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorak1 View Post
Aren't there indigo snakes just a few miles
west in the Everglades?
boca is so populated and built up, i'd be very very very surprised if any of them were sighted, especially in someone's typical suburban yard. unless there are lots of palmettos, pines, and gopher tortoises, I doubt you will see one.

Even in the everglades there are very few considering the swampy terrain. They would be in the dry hammocks though, if an Eastern diamondback lives there, then more than likely an indigo could be there, theoretically.

I love on the west coast, we have more pines, etc and have had a few strongholds of indigos, but none near the glades.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
zorak1
You live on the West Coast of FL? Where?
Your profile says Auburn Alabama.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
stolenheron
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorak1 View Post
You live on the West Coast of FL? Where?
Your profile says Auburn Alabama.
I'm a full time zoology/herp student at Auburn University. So i am there (Currently) and most of the year, but my permanent address and home is Fort Myers Florida. Lived there my entire life until I moved on to college in 2007. I go home ever few months for several weeks at a time.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
zorak1
Excellent. Good luck with it.

Moved to Boca Raton from Cambridge MA last year. Used to be an engineer at MIT.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
a153fish
I agree it was a Black Racer. They are fast and very abundant! I actually live in an area where I see indigos ocassionally, in the Fall months. That's when their breeding season is. The rest of the year they are rarely ever seen. I sometimes find them in my yard which is a pleasant surprise.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!