Miamiherps02@aol.com - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-13-2002, 12:00 PM   #1
Seamus Haley
Miamiherps02@aol.com

Just wondering if anyone knows or has done buisness with this individual before, e-mail is miamiherps02@aol.com website http://www.miamiherps.com/

I'll admit I've extremely suspicious, possibly without justification, but the web design bears a striking resemblance to the web-site of the person who was outed on This thread and then again here

The behavior in the AOL reptile chat was very similar, the manner of speaking and the animals supposedly for sale, the web-design seemed almost identical to the former website Chris Hunter was using except the background was now white instead of black... The older website seems to be "under construction" when I tried to verify that they seemed identical. It might just be a coincidence but somehow I don't think so...

Anyway, if there's anyone who has any further information or doesn't mind contacting this individual to try and get some information (I pretty much blew any chances that they'd attempt to do buisness with me when I asked if they were Chris Hunter and they left the chatroom), perhaps by asking who to make a check or money order out to, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Old 12-13-2002, 12:35 PM   #2
Tom and Jackie
Angry Our Dragon

Don't know who they are or anything about them but the dragons on the splash photo on their website front page is our dragon.

Here's the picture I have posted in a couple different chat rooms and forums:

http://www.iland.net/~vandiver/fs02/bdcandy327.jpg

I also use her in our banner on our website:

http://www.vandivers.com/

And we (Jackie or I) never gave permission to use our photo for their website.

First time posting here.
Tom Vandiver

Old 12-13-2002, 12:56 PM   #3
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Something I noticed about their site, they say all their animals are captive born. Well the Nigerian Uromastyx are Definitley not captive born. makes you go hmmmm.

Old 12-13-2002, 01:08 PM   #4
Seamus Haley
Mr. Vandiver,

You should contact AOL about the web page in that instance then, even if there's no specific copyright on the photograph, you retain intellectual property rights to the image and it's both illegal in some instances as well as a violation of AOL's terms of service agreement to post it in this manner, especially with the heavy insinuation that the animal is in his posession and for sale...

The evidence seems clear on that count that the picture is stolen, which, even if it turns out Miamiherps02 isn't Chris Hunter as I suspect, is certainly telling, thank you for pointing that out Sir.

Anyone else reccognize any of the other photos on there as being either your photographs or those you've seen elsewhere?

Excellent point about the Uros as well Rob, again, more evidence that there's something not quite right there even if it's not who I suspect it is, thanks for noticing and posting.

Old 12-13-2002, 01:11 PM   #5
Ken Harbart
To get his site shut down, simply send an email to hmtwnmail@aol.com letting them know of his pic thievery

Old 12-13-2002, 01:27 PM   #6
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
Although I don't recognise any of the pictures(with the exception of the bearded dragon mentioned, funny how he added a tail tip where it was missing in the original photos), I have a sneaking suspicion that most are swiped from other places. I know it seems wierd, but to me, photos from one site seem to be kind of uniform when it comes to substrates/animal setups and what not. Look at the nigerian uro for instance, in one photo the animal is on sand in what appears to be a white cage. In the next photo, there is a glass tank full of them on alfalfa pellets. There are also some examples in the snakes, too. Maybe it's just my thinking, though.

Anyway, nothing on his site looked exceptional or worth the money. And every animal CB, yeah right. Those uros definitely aren't, the adult black throat(i highly doubt that especially given the price tag), as well as several other animals pictured. Maybe what they meant was that the person they stole the pics from breeds them

Old 12-13-2002, 01:36 PM   #7
Winter
I usually just lurk here, but I thought I would toss out what little I know about Miami Herps. You can make your own judgments about them.

I recently inquired about the Guyana BCC and Carpets listed on the website. They can be seen here:

Guyana Redtail Boa

Jungle Carpets

Both looked too good to be true at under $150 shipped, so I thought I would ask about them and see what was up. I received a reply that stated that the Guyana was sold and that the Carpets were pure Jungle and captive bred by them. They did not answer any of my other questions about the sexes, health, age, etc. I later saw an ad for the Guyana again, and it was still for sale.

Anyhow, I am headed to S. Florida soon, so I decided to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and simply assume that he had a lot of e-mail, was busy with other things, etc., but ask if it would be possible if I could just visit the facility during my vacation and take a look at the Carpets. He replied that it was no problem and that he would give me his address.

I am currently working with ball pythons, so as it got closer to my trip to S. Florida, I decided to drop him another e-mail and ask him about his "captive bred ball pythons" that were $49.99 shipped to see if I could pick up a few new babies after the holidays while I was there. I assumed that if they were $50 shipped, that they would be less to pickup in person. He e-mailed me back and said that they would still be full price because he does not pay anything to ship. Apparently his uncle's company ships live animals for free.

At that point, I really did not care about the price tag on any of the animals. I just wanted him to answer a few of my questions, like whether they were healthy or if they could be sexed.

I asked him for his address for when I visited and was e-mailed back something that said, "My address is" and the rest was blank. I asked for his address again in another e-mail and only received a reply that stated the price of the ball pythons...
By this point, I had no plans to do business with him, but I was suspicious.

Just in checking different classifieds and such, I have seen at least two different AOL screen names for the same individual including MIAMIHERPS@aol.com and MIAMIHERPS02@aol.com. I also believe that BALLPYTHONSNMORE@aol.com may be theirs as well and can be seen here:

Classified

The person that was writing me signed their name as Ricky, but I believe I also saw a Frank somewhere else (I could be wrong.) It seems unlikely to me that every single animal they have there is captive bred.

I really have no idea what Miami Herps is all about, but I would be very careful if you plan on purchasing anything from them.

Lauren Rost

Old 12-13-2002, 01:51 PM   #8
Desiree
Re: the iguana picture -- it originated from:
http://www.bhmsombo.org/cmagyar/imag...s/grendel1.jpg (from http://www.bhmsombo.org/cmagyar/IguanaPictures.htm)

Dont know if anyone already has done this or not yet and/or if the info is useful.....

http://checkdomain.com/cgi-bin/check...miamiherps.com

"Administrative Contact:
siverio, Ricky miamiherps@aol.com
6416 South Wets 131 path
Miami, FL 33183
US
+1.7862291960"

Via infospace.com.....

Siverio, Ricardo Y
6416 SW 131st Path
Miami, FL 33183
305-386-4768

Hope this helps.
Des.

Old 12-13-2002, 03:46 PM   #9
Seamus Haley
Just a bit of a quick note:

I have let miamiherps02@aol.com know that this thread exists both via e-mail and in person in a chatroom while he was at the keyboard and responding, giving him both the URL and a hyperlink to follow in order to post a reply.

If my suspicions about his identity are wrong, then I apologize although with this further questionable behavior in stealing the picture and labeling animals as CB that really couldn't possibly be, along with the tendency for backgrounds to be removed from some pics and the varying substrates in the others... I don't think I am and there are questionable actions being presented in either case that really should be addessed.

Old 12-13-2002, 03:58 PM   #10
miami herps 02
this is frank from miami herps....my email is miamiherps02...ricky is the other person from miami herps...miamiherps@aol.com
i was reading this post and i must clarify a few things....we never said that the pics on our site are the actual reptiles we have in hand. we got most of those pics off the net because we didnt have a digital cam to take pics of our own. and the only reason the pics are up are so people who are not sure what certain reptiles may look like. if we have a pic of one of your reptiles and you want it removed then just email me and i will gladly remove the pic. a good percentage of our reps are c.p. there might b and exception now and then but the customer will always be notified. we have recently sold many reptiles and havnt had any complaints as far as the quality of our animals. if any-1 has bought from us on this board please respond to this and let every-1 know we are not a fake and are not here to rip people off. if you have any other questions email me and i will gladly awnser you. to clarify one more thing we are not affiliated with any of the other names that were mentioned in this thread.thank you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!