beware paypals users - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-31-2002, 08:21 PM   #21
Classic Dum's
How do they report it? I have a verified acount and never even gave them my SS#, without that they get report it. They had some thing a while back asking for it when I logged into my acount and I bypassed it for that reason.

Old 12-31-2002, 08:27 PM   #22
DarksideBoas
Safest way?

Perhaps the safest way to buy/sell would be to just stick with the good ole postal money orders shipped next day priority?? Ive never used paypal, and from what im reading its probably just as well...

Old 12-31-2002, 10:16 PM   #23
franklinedwards60
Red face just my experience

I have been using Payapl for about 2 years now and have been quite happy.

I have once have someone try to say I didn't deliver an item to them and was trying to get thier money back and I sent all the info to them and was found in my favor.

Then one time I lost my wallet and my paypal card was in thier and someone had spent over $400.00 dollars on it. I called them right a way (and yes I got thier number off thier web page. It's easy to find if you want it.) and they put my funds back into my account within 24 hrs as I sent in all the paper work for the theft.

With me they have been helpful and have had great customer service.

Maybe the ones that have had problems didn't read all the info or I am just a minority?

Old 12-31-2002, 10:24 PM   #24
Satyrday Reptiles
Exclamation

Okay, so this thread inspired me to look a little further ... all this "new" fine print and whatnot. Granted, it's something I should've done a long time ago... but at any rate, things have definately changed. It was a lot easier when I signed up two or three years ago. Never had a problem with them - at all, this entire time, (knock on wood) but - after looking at their user agreement again for the first time in a long time - it's kind of scary... Now I know why customers I recommended to them had such trouble registering and what not - unbelievable!!
Sure, they sent me an email every time they changed... but wow!
Hell, I think they only used to charge 1.9% per transaction , (for credit cards only - not everything like they do now) and they 'snuck' it up to something like 2.5 or 2.9% (depends on a number of things, apparently.)
Get this: As I understand it, if you opened your account after October 11th, 2001 and "something" happens - they have every right to "correct the problem" by going into your bank account connected to the one on file, after they deplete whatever is currently in your online account, frozen or otherwise - Can you imagine?? Unconscionable!!
As much as they've been a benefit to us all this time, I'm seriously thinking about getting out while I can. After actually reading through all the changes they've made since we started, it's quite frightening - (and that was before I checked out the warning sites!) Without a doubt - not being able to accept credit cards/ e checks/ etc. will definately kick me while I'm down, so to speak, but after seeing what could possibly happen - it's a chance I can't afford to take.
As for other options, (besides money orders) after looking briefly; c2it looks like it might be the best bet - they're backed by a real bank and don't charge nearly as much, (still need to do homework, though...)
Also - I read somewhere this evening that if you do decide to close your account - it's best that you remove your credit card and bank account numbers BEFORE you close it.
Like I said - never had a problem with them before... but...
I don't know... will stew some more and get back to you.
At any rate,
Happy New Year!!
Liz

(Elizabeth Craig)

Old 12-31-2002, 10:51 PM   #25
WebSlave
Actually I would really like to hear about an alternative to Paypal. I avoided it for the longest time simply because I did read the fine print there and didn't like it much. But after getting beaten down repeatedly by people asking for it, I just bit the bullet and set up an account.

So far I haven't had any problems, and it's actually been pretty smooth sailing. Of course, all it takes is one iddy biddy iceberg to ruin your day.

Old 12-31-2002, 11:59 PM   #26
Adam Block
I would just stop using PayPal, there is Billpay and a few other options but PayPal is the KS of online payments. They're not the only option but they're the only one that will offer anything close to what you need. Like anything in life, I would just be sure you have a safty, don't keep money in there and I don't think you have to link them to your bank account so don't. Just have the funds sent to you. I have NEVER kept any money in PayPal as I looked at their TOS and knew I was asking for trouble. I FULLY expect PayPal to blow up in my face one day but I knew that before hand and just hoped i could ride it out long enough.

I see it as PayPal has helped me SOOOO much if I took a $500 hit right now I wouldn't mind!

I must also add that for some reason, this thread is pissing me off pretty bad. I hear this same, I read the fine print when I signed up but haven't since, I read the fine print and PayPal is doing what they said but it isn't fair and so on. It's just the stupidest thing for me to see. One thread people are excusing things based on tos and in the next they're upset about having broken the rules laid out in tos. You can't have you cake people, come on, either this is fair because it's laid out in tos or it isn't fair and tos has nothing to do with it. Sometimes a site/persons tos goes too far. You all need to make up your minds on tos and if it's the final word and justification for all actions or not.

Adam Block

PS At least we can talk about PayPal sucking and not loose our accounts. Or would that be fair too cause it's their site?

Old 01-01-2003, 12:59 AM   #27
HerpVenue
Just wondering why KS ws brought up in this thread....
when this same person told us to drop it in the KS thread.

If you break TOS and get your account frozen or get banned.....it is fair.

If you do not break TOS but get banned anyway or get your account frozen.....it is NOT fair

Adam, cool off man. Your starting again

Quote:
One thread people are excusing things based on tos and in the next they're upset about having broken the rules laid out in tos
now who was it that started a thread because they broke TOS?

let it go

Old 01-01-2003, 01:14 AM   #28
HerpVenue
Quote:
Actually I would really like to hear about an alternative to Paypal
Well here you go.

https://www.xcompte.com/en/0_0/default.asp

http://www.ikobo.com/

http://www.bidpay.com/

Old 01-02-2003, 12:02 AM   #29
highlander 13
And to think that about 3 or 4 mths ago people were all happy about being paypal members.Anything that has to do with credit (including paypal) only does 2 things for you, 1) gets you deeper in debt ,and 2) gives you nothing but BIG problems.I have a real simple solution to the problem at hand and believe me it works real well (that is if the technologically advanced can remember),Its called CASH.Having cash on hand is way better than having credit in a company that will give you this many problems.I myself wont have credit,need credit,or use credit for anything i buy including reptiles.If i cant pay with cash or m/o then it dont get bought by me.

People depend way tooo much on having credit cards or credited accounts with companies like paypal.All you are doing is asking for them to bend you over and ram it where the sun dont shine (sorry to be blunt) and smile about it afterwards.I really and truly dont understand peoples philosophy when it comes to perceiving problems.Its obvious to me that anyone who owns credit cards or deals with a bank is just asking for trouble but then turn around and want to complain about it.Life is a double edged sword.Play with it and eventually you WILL get cut.You never ever trust anyone with your money except you. Regards Bill McLeod

Old 01-02-2003, 12:12 AM   #30
Lucy Howard
Well, Bill...
In the perfect world you might not need to depend on banks or electronic transfers of money, but this is not the perfect world, and for some purchases or sales you simply cannot WALK over to the buyer/seller and have a hand to hand deal.
I NEVER had credit through paypal....it simply provided a service to TRANSFER my CASH from my bankaccount to someone elses bankaccount.......or receive money from someones bankaccount.
It has / had NOTHING to do with credit whatsoever. It is/was a service that provided a CONVENIENCE for the exchange of existing CASH.
I do realize that paypal now has their own creditcard also, but this is not what is being discussed here...
Even if you walk around with your CASH, ready to purchase something in PERSON, guess what.....you can still get mugged and the crooks take off with your money.....(you are lucky if thats all they take off with)
Paypal worked awesome for me for 2 years....they changed a lot of their terms...i didn't follow that or realized how little to no protection you have with them anymore...no matter HOW you manage your paypal account, or whether you keep money in it or not.
Just the fact that we are using it to buy/sell ANIMAL makes any kind of protection they might offer NULL and VOID.
If any seller gets hit with a chargeback....and you have sold reptiles, guess what....you have NO recourse....no matter how smart you deal with paypal...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!