Kingsnake, now you know you have to read it... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Jeff Barringers recent actions?
I agree with everything Jeff has ever done. 2 3.17%
I disagree with everything Jeff has ever done down to what color car he drives. 1 1.59%
I agree with the majority of things Jeff has done. 9 14.29%
I disagree with the majority of things Jeff has done. 13 20.63%
I agree with the majority of things Jeff has done but the items I disagree on are of signifigant importance to affect my personal views. 20 31.75%
I disagree with a minority of things Jeff has done but the items I disagree with are not of signifigant importance to my personal views. 4 6.35%
I have no opinion on any of this. 2 3.17%
I have no opinion on any of this until it affects me personally. 1 1.59%
I have an opinion but I do not wish to voice it for fear I will lose my KS Classified account. 8 12.70%
Other. Please write a post detailing your opinion if none of the above options were acceptable. 5 7.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2002, 10:42 AM   #11
WebSlave
I suppose I am going to have to agree with Scott on this.

I want to put this behind me and get on with my work here. This whole issue has become a huge tar pit which we are all wallowing in when we should be evolving instead. I've got a lot of work ahead of me, and this is distracting.

While the intent is good, I doubt the information conveyed in the poll will be a surprise to anyone, nor will it make any difference to the principal parties involved. To be honest, probably the worst thing that could happen for all of the sites now taking bead on KS is for Jeff to change his attitude.

Let him go his way, and we'll go ours. I think that's the best course to take.

Old 12-31-2002, 11:25 AM   #12
Joe Romley
I don't like the higher prices, but...

Todays economy is killing many people financially. I know Jeff personally, although I haven't spoken to him in a couple of years I don't think he raised any prices to be greedy. He runs a business that may have expenses that are much higher than we know. He's got employees to pay, taxes, a huge web site that is not only reptiles, but dogs, cats, other pets, model airplanes and all kinds of things. He might need the extra money to keep it all afloat. While I don't like the higher prices and might not renew my account because I just don't produce that many animals anymore, I can't bash him for doing what he does. It's a business that he relies on for a living. He doesn't have a boss that will give him a raise. He's got bills that probably include medical insurance (we all know how expensive that is). I don't like it, but there's nothing I can do to change it. His life is personal and none of our business so we can either pay the higher prices and keep going just like we always do or we can not pay them. If he bans someone from using Kingsnake.com that's his choice.

Old 01-01-2003, 09:36 PM   #13
Gary Walsch
I'm sorry but in my opinion this post is a waste of space. There are already other posts about other grievences with KS.com. Personally I don't like the increase in prices and am not sure if I will renew yet or not to be honest, but if you don't like it then don't use it ! It's really that simple. I agree that KS.com has its issues and problems, but what in this world is perfect ? But I am really tired of seeing the list of KS.com posts on the BOI grow when they could all be in one place. And in my opinion Seamus you poll was juvenille to say the least and I think it was a waste of your time and ours.

Gary

PS Sorry hope I didn't come across like a jerk, I'm just tired of all the KS.com posts.

Old 01-01-2003, 10:45 PM   #14
Fred Albury
Fear Post is unspoken and real....

I think Adam has a reasonable thought: That being that one of the motivating factors is FEAR. Regardless of treatment , who is wrong or who is right, FEAR plays a major role in answering this question honestly. Do I think it has been rehashed to much?
Thats not up to ME to decide and me wanting or not wanting it to be rehashed isnt going to make a bit off diffrence if it is.
I think that iving well is the best revenge though, and making a better product is , in the end, the ultimate revenge, beter than all the name calling, accusations, or even misunderstandings.....LIVING WEL is the best revenge. Which means moveing forward to build something better. Thats a goal.
Goals are good and give us hope for the future.

But, the category that was posted, that being that people dont want to comment because they are scared of backlash is one of those unwritten things no one admits but everyone talks about. In our society, to show fear is often construed as a sign of wekaness, when in reality, life is SCARY and uncertain. I am sickened to DEATH of all these people I se driving(In Southern Calif) with these giant monster SUV's or lifted trucks with "NO FEAR" bumper stickers on them.
No FEAR? Yeah right buddy!!lol First time you get prostate cancer or inoperable brain cancer, then youll taste fear. Fear is aconstant for all of us, its what we do with it that determines what our lives are going to be like. Will it paralyze us to inaction as a group of people and as indivduals? Or will it motivate us to push for change and growth and the right to LIVE WELL?

I think THATS whats at stake here.

Adams post....on the money...FEAR and whos fault is that?

OURS

Sincerely,

Fred Albury
AZTEC REPTILES

Old 01-02-2003, 04:23 AM   #15
Seamus Haley
Quote:
And in my opinion Seamus you poll was juvenille to say the least and I think it was a waste of your time and ours.
Now... I can see how the KS stuff is getting repetitive to some people...

I can see that Rich would like it ended.

What I fail to see is why anyone would voluntarily open a thread that they didn't want to see.

I also fail to see how the poll was in any way "juvenile", it couldn't be tacked onto an existing thread, the only way to get it up was to create a new one and I had a personal desire to verify a repeating trend from the other posts on the subject, specifically that there was a larger body of individuals who had thoughts but were unwilling to express them because of potential repercussions.

What about that is juvenile exactly Gary?

Whatever it is, is it more or less "juvenile" than reading a thread where the topic is clearly posted knowing full well that it will be a thread you didn't want to see and then posting remarks that, as you say wasted... Your time. Mine was not wasted in the least as I had a question, took three minutes to write something and am starting to receive an answer.

Quote:
PS Sorry hope I didn't come across like a jerk, I'm just tired of all the KS.com posts.
Then don't open the threads, nobody's forcing you to.

Old 01-02-2003, 10:19 AM   #16
Double "D" Reptiles
Warning!

Well, I think I said it in another post, but I don't pay for the use of KS so can't say that any of it currently affects me personally. Who knows, if I were to apply for an account now, I might be told to take my money and shove it. Who cares.

I voted in 2 areas. I can agree with a majority of things Jeff has done simply because, as someone involved in more than one business from the time I wake up until I go to sleep, I understand his position. He deal with various expenses such as payroll, operating expenses, advertising, and numerous other financial needs that his business needs to stay alive. It is HIS business and his decision that we're all facing. If we don't like it enough, we don't have to use it. Trouble is, he's got everyone by the short hairs right now. How'd he manage this? Simply by being there first and thinking big enough early on to establish himself as the uncontested front-runner. And, nobody has come up with anything to significantly challenge him at this time, so he pretty much as free reign. Is that bad, depends on how you look at it and from which perspective.

Now, my problem with it revolves around a slightly different issue. This was, roughly, a 100% price increase with higher prices offered for the "bells and whistles." Fine. But, take a look at all other areas of the economy in the US and see where any goods or service have had a 100% price increase recently. Heck, look back over 2 years and you're very unlikely to find anything significant which has has a price increase of this nature. In fact, many goods and services have seen price decreases due to the lagging economy. So, how does this look from that view point? It looks terribly suspicious and ill-timed. I'm thinking that any business advisor would have suggested a smaller increase or taking other steps to reduce the need for such a large increase in fees based upon economic models. I read yesterday that the stock markets have had the worst 2+ years since the depression era in regards to falling values (granted, not the same end numbers, but the gist of the article showed a disturbing trend.) Then I look at this particular price increase and it just doesn't look wise in the long-range picuture to me.

Some have likened Jeff to a tyrant or dictator because of his practices and unchallenged position as the leader in reptile classifieds. But, look at it historically and you'll see that if he is indeed a tryant or dictator, he's likely poitioned himself for a fall. And the general public (his paying consumer base) will be the one that decides whether or not he remains in power. Window shoppers don't pay his expenses. That is left to the sellers who pay for the service of listing on his site. When, and if, those users decide, with their hard-earned money, to "dethrown" the king of reptile classifieds, then they will have spoken in such volume that he will either have to operate differenty, or not at all. Guys like me who have never had a KS account will not affect him one way or the other. How can I change this? I probably can't, but I could take a stand and refuse to purchase from any seller, regardless of where I find the ad, who advertises on KS at any time. Will this be difficult? Probably at this time. But, as the new price increases begin to affect people, it may get easier. If not, then I'd only be hurting myself and my own business. There's just not enough information available yet to decide if I'd want to attempt this particular method of trying to affect his decision.

So, that's it for now. All I know is that Debbie and I have decided we can't afford to pay those fees at this time AND we have no real need to try. As stated in another seciton, if we do reach that point later, we'll look at ALL the options available to us and weigh them into the equation from a business/economic standpoint.

David

Old 01-02-2003, 12:31 PM   #17
KNOBTAIL
as stated in earlier posts

it becomes impossible to understand the motivating factors as to why the cost of an ad doubles in price. Maybe he is losing money. Its possible. Maybe his expenses are more. I dont know the answer, but let me point out a couple of observations.

We are presently paying almost $ 400. 00 a month with advertising through Reptiles Magazine. Alot of money monthly, just for exposure. Whatever business we pick up , we are happy with. But its part of running a business. We need the exposure and we only have 1 magazine left.

Secondly, by just having our ads being visitied on a daily basis to our site, also help our exposure and sales. One good sale would easily pay for the ad, so on a 6 month basis $ 54.00 is a bargain for us. We use KS for 2 different business and we get alot of hits. So, Iam not going to complain about Kingsnake. Reptile Magazine is another story. I would prefer not to advertise , but I cannot afford not to. Thats the price one has to pay in any business. Any way, enough said. JERRY TRESSER

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!