What snake is this? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-19-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
Annexa
What snake is this?

So the other day, I found a snake. I was wondering what kind it was because I've been wanting a snake for a long time. I think it is a Kingsnake, but if it is I'm not positive what kind. Please help me out,
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Wyildss
A better photo of the animal would help us more, it's hard to tell what it is with this shot.

Try an 'above' shot, with nothing in the way.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
chrisis697
Kinda looks like a king, but definetly need a better pick & different angle.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:10 PM   #4
serpentsofdistinction
It's Avery poor pic but it looks like a baby black racer for sure.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
serpentsofdistinction
It's definitely a racer of some sort coluber ssp.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:47 PM   #6
Annexa
Here is a better picture I am sorry for the poor quality in general, I'm using an iPad.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #7
Annexa
I am new to this website.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
serpentsofdistinction
I'm sure is a racer of some sort I don't know what species are in your area. Either buttermilk, yellow bellied black etc.. But it's a coluber ssp of some sort.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
EmeraldBoid
Looks like a racer, had one come up to me last year while me and some friends were field Herping in an old field.

A picture taken in natural light helps, for example this was taken with a cell phone during low sun...

Be sure to check your local and state laws regarding field collected animals, it may be illegal in some areas or just for some species. Also, wildcaught snakes often have quite a few parasites that can be harmful in captivity, so if things turn out to be legal, just take the little guy to the vet for a fecal exam and treatment.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #10
gila7150
I agree with the others. It's a southern black racer. It's probably not the best choice for a first snake. They are usually nervous and stressed in captivity. Adult black racers are usually quick to bite and not very tolerant of handling. It will lose it's juvenile pattern and become dark gray / black as an adult
A captive born kingsnake would probably be a better captive and provide you with a more positive overall experience but good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!