Showcase Cages (Bad Guy) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-26-2002, 02:41 PM   #1
Marty
I purchased a cage from Showcase Cages for my Rainbow Boas. spam_Before purchasing I asked the owner, Mark, if the cage would be suitable for high-humidity necessary for my snakes. spam_Mark assured me the cage would be fine. spam_I then ordered the cage ($770.00 - including very high shipping costs). spam_ spam_I followed the assembly instructions, but the wood on the side wall (pressed board covered with a laminate) quickly warped. spam_A replacement piece was sent, but it warped again. spam_I then called Mark again and asked for either a cage replacement or my money back. spam_Mark hung up on me. spam_I called Mark one more time and offered to pay part on a cage replacement. spam_He hung up on me again! spam_The end result is that I am stuck with a $770.00 cage that will end up in the garbage!!! spam_I would not recommend Showcase Cages to anyone.

Sincerely,
Marty Essen
ecc@montana.com

Old 02-26-2002, 04:35 PM   #2
Brock Gorton
Hello, wouldn't it make sense if they made the cages with a water resistant protector on the inside?

Old 02-26-2002, 05:00 PM   #3
HallsHerps
Marty ,
Do you have pics of this cage?  if you could  or would like to  please email me directly . i would like to talk with you about your cage situation , if you would like to .
Thanks Alan

Old 02-27-2002, 12:50 AM   #4
John Staursky / The Reptile Room
Marty,
I read your post and I am just in disbelief that you paid that much money for some particle board and screws!!  When that type of wood gets a little bit of moisture it will swell and warp.... unbelievable!!!
I don't even know what dimension of cage you purchased or anything like that, but I promise you, I could have guided you in the right direction in caging for less than half the price of that P.O.S. (you decifer that..lol)
Laminated particle board sells for about $30 for a sheet something like 8 feet long by 6 feet wide... you do the math, you got royally screwed!!!!
I'm sorry to hear about your situation, and the guy hung up on you???
Whew...... if I spent that kind of money on ANYTHING, and I called the seller about it and they hung up on me... I would be on the next flight to their destination to rectify the situation immediately!
Good luck with it,
John Staursky

Old 02-28-2002, 11:04 PM   #5
Rainbowboaman
I saw photos of Marty's enclosure it was not just particle board & screws, It looked more like fine furniture. Marty bought his Rainbows from me & he was very thorough in his questions about the care of them & about the humidity requirements & told me about the cage he was buying & that he was told it would hold up to the high humidity that the rainbows require. All my rack systems are made of double sided melomine board with the oldest one being about 7 years oldspam_& not one of them have suffered from any moisture problems. From what I spam_can see the warpage Marty is experiencing is from using inadequate materials. They should of never took Marty's order if they weren't competent to build him what he needed that would hold up to the humidity. The fact that they sent replacement parts tells me they knew there was material problems right there.I would never deal with them & have recently steered two of my customers from dealing with them by telling of Martys dealings with them. I can't imagine with customer service like they have (hanging up on customer) that they will be around long. Marty let me know if this ever gets resolved & Good Luck with them.
Chris Pearson @ Quality Rainbow Boas

Old 03-02-2002, 10:30 PM   #6
Jeff Favelle
Ummm...you guys do know that malamite, medite, and all the other crappy pressboards contain formaldihyde and aresenic don't you?  Why not just use high quality 3/4" plywood and paint it with an epoxy or marine enamel?

But $770 (I assume US funds?) for a cage?  Yikes?  Why wouldn't you just save a few extra bucks and get some hypomelanistic Rainbows?

Old 03-03-2002, 12:34 PM   #7
Rainbowboaman
Jeff,
Thanks for that tid bit of info on pressed wood but after 7 years of using the melomine without one problem, I think I'll stick to it & I have a feeling everyone else will. Im sure your painted plywood is is a real pleasing on the eyes.Ummm by the way Hypo rainbows are ALOT more then $770.00 not just a few bucks more.
Chris Pearson

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!