What kind of spider is this? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 09-11-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
PaulSage
What kind of spider is this?

It's been a few years since I've seen one of these around here, but they always seem to show up this time of year. Are they dangerous to dogs or humans? It's right by the front door.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
South Dixie Dragons
It looks like an Argiope aurantia or Black and Yellow Garden Spider...not venomous but you never know about a possible allergic reaction..they make really big webs..leave them alone because they will eat all the bugs!!: )

Old 09-11-2005, 04:12 PM   #3
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Dixie Dragons
leave them alone because they will eat all the bugs!!: )
Then he / she is a welcome addition to the porch.

Old 09-11-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
DAND
The pattern on it's back looks cool. Almost like a face.

Old 09-11-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
WebSlave
They seem to be fairly common here in north Florida, however these Golden Orb Spiders seem to be taking over.

They are literally all over the place around here.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:15 PM   #6
Cat_72
We have lots of the garden spiders around here, I think they're really pretty....and yes, they eat a lot of bugs, lol.

And wow, the orb spiders are beautiful too.....are they as large as the garden spiders? I don't ever recall seeing anything like those....of course, anything smart avoids Iowa and its cold winters...

Old 09-11-2005, 09:26 PM   #7
WebSlave
The orb spiders are larger, by a good margin. Their web is VERY strong, so it you walk into it, not only do you have this large spider on your head, but you are pretty much wrapped up in that web. For an arachnophobe, I suspect it would be a memorable event, to say the least.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:10 AM   #8
John Apple
A aurantiaca seems to like the eye-level and below in web height, having them all over a field in the dewy early morning is a neet sight, mixed in with them are the silver ones and shamrock spiders.
N clavipes usually likes eye-level and above, but interesting enough n.c. likes smaller prey as they cannot throw web over prey the way a.a. can
Catch a cricket or a grass hopper and try it, n.c. will rush in and attempt a bite and a.a. will wrap that sucker up. try it

Old 09-12-2005, 08:12 AM   #9
Cat_72
That's how I stopped the kids from wanting to kill all of the garden spiders, lol....I showed them how neat it was to catch a fly or a moth and toss it into the web. They think that's "way cool"!

As far as I know, the garden spiders are the largest spiders around here, I wish we had more varieties of the large (but non-poisonous) spiders around here, I think watching them in nature is absolutely fascinating.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:32 AM   #10
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Apple
A aurantiaca seems to like the eye-level and below in web height, having them all over a field in the dewy early morning is a neet sight, mixed in with them are the silver ones and shamrock spiders.
N clavipes usually likes eye-level and above, but interesting enough n.c. likes smaller prey as they cannot throw web over prey the way a.a. can
Catch a cricket or a grass hopper and try it, n.c. will rush in and attempt a bite and a.a. will wrap that sucker up. try it
Her web is less than 12" above the porch floor. I tossed a few crickets into the web, and all she did was start 'pumping' to make the web bounce back and forth. The crickets kept falling out of the web, and she didn't seem too interested. Maybe because they were too big? The only ones I could get to stick to the web were crickets with a much larger body size than her own.

Either way, I was kinda hoping to wake up and find that she had written some really cool saying in her web, like "Beware of Dog" or "Paul is cool". Oh well. Maybe tomorrow

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!