Petco: Who Breeds for them? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Leopard Geckos

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 08:37 PM   #11
suebrass
I don't know if my local Petco really gets their leos from local breeders, that's just what I was told by an employee. I have no way of knowing for sure. I do know that the two I've been to have been pretty clean, and the staff have been pretty decent. Of course, I don't trust any pet store fully. Afterall, their bottom line is profit.

Sue

Old 09-13-2004, 07:17 PM   #12
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally posted by Jodi L Aherns
All petco and petsmarts use Ron Tremper and Bill Brant for there leopard geckos,ball pythons,crested geckos,corn snakes and king snakes. All there wild caught comes from mid american,and cal.zoo.
They do NOT buy from local breeders at all.
PETsMART does not even carry snakes the majority of the time. The only thing they are permitted to carry are cornsnakes raised on "snake sausages." and that has even failed, causeing the majority not to carry snakes at all.

PETsMART receives their reptiles from C.R.A.P. (don't even ask me what that stands for), Flukers and Lasko. All USD Vet-Checked breeders.

Old 09-13-2004, 07:30 PM   #13
humpbacks1962
And those breeders are in Florida?
  Contact User Check User
Old 09-13-2004, 07:33 PM   #14
TripleMoonsExotic
Arizona and Florida

Old 09-14-2004, 12:30 AM   #15
chondrokeeper
C.R.A.P. (ironically) stands for Center for Reptile and Amphibian Propagation = Ron Tremper

I was also under the impression that Petco gets their cresteds and beardies from Sandfire Dragon Ranch. After all, they do carry SFR's supplements.

Old 09-14-2004, 02:21 PM   #16
Intense Herpetoculture
Nope, pretty sure both the beardies and cresteds at Petco come from Gourmet Rodent. As for SFR's suppliments, Petco carries T-Rex products who produces the SFR's suppliments.

Quote:
Originally posted by chondrokeeper
C.R.A.P. (ironically) stands for Center for Reptile and Amphibian Propagation = Ron Tremper

I was also under the impression that Petco gets their cresteds and beardies from Sandfire Dragon Ranch. After all, they do carry SFR's supplements.

Old 09-15-2004, 12:25 PM   #17
ShannanD25
The Petco here has great conditions for their animals. They have very nice Leos as well. The manager said they get them from Calif. Zoological. I have seen some petstores with horrible conditions and it really does depend on management. If you ever see bad conditions, don't be afraid to do something about it. Talk to the Manager, call corporate, report them to whoever but try to make a difference!
But I am happy to say the Petco in York PA is wonderful!

Old 09-15-2004, 06:20 PM   #18
TripleMoonsExotic
*lol* The PetCo in York is definitly NOT wonderful! I stop in their now and again to see if they have any supplies for sale and to check out their fish. I've seen tanks full of fungus covered fish on the sales floor. I've seen baby birds that don't even have all their feathers on the sales floor (and with all the customers going in and out of the Aviary, I'm shocked the birds haven't died yet from stress). I've seen emaciated baby balls with shed stuck all along their bodies. I've seen emaciated baby leos who are so disgustingly thin they should be put down.

York isn't as disgusting as Hanover though.

and the East York SuperPetz! Yikes...don't even get me started...

Old 09-15-2004, 07:06 PM   #19
ShannanD25
Actually their tanks are cleaned daily and any fish even looking ill is quarantined, same with the Leos. I've never even seen a spec of algae growing on the tanks.I am in there at least weekly through volunteering with a cat rescue. I have yet to see any reptile , fish, or critter looking emaciated. And the aviary is one of the best I've seen in pet stores. We raise birds, mostly larger ones, and can say they are well kept. I'm not sure if you are going to a different Pet co or what.
They don't have a sales floor they put birds on, they are all kept in the aviary. So you will see younger birds but they will have available on dates on their cages. The woman back there is extremly knowledgable and loving to her "babies".
Their Leos look great. There is on occaision a thin one but you rarely see it as any that appear ill are taken into the back room and set up in a little hospital tank and hand fed. I know this because I usually ask whoever is in aquatics how the Leos are doing.
My friend also fosters(small animals) for Petco and works at the vet Petco uses. They do care for their animals and recently paid $700 for an operation and care on a guinea pig.

Superpetz is bad. I won't go there either. But they have recently purchased a new display that at least heats. They still have alot to learn however. But at least they don't sell many Leos at 49.99 each or 74.99 for albino(which often aren't albinos and their regulars have a few "chocolate" albinos mixed in)

If I thouhg Petco was bad like some of the local petstores, I would go there, nor support them on this site, but they have good knowledable people who care about the animals.

Old 09-15-2004, 07:07 PM   #20
humpbacks1962
Quote:
Yikes...don't even get me started...
Well, allow *me* to get you started alright. For the sake of the animals you are so disgusted to see maltreated, contact the agency that issued their permit in your state!

If anything infuriates me about hearing complaints about pet stores is the numerous people who post complaints but never move their on behalf of those animals!

In spite of it all, Petco's facilities are inspected and their animals approved to hold in captivity for resale. Name all the breeders who have their sites inspected and approved! We just see nice pictures of the merchandise, but what's behind the camera?

So, draw on the resources available accordingly!

Wanda
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread