Worst snake bite? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-03-2005, 06:30 PM   #11
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzooherpetoculturist
we don't have venemous snakes except for the occasional massasauga rattler, but those are nearly harmless.
Until one bites you anyway. LOL

Ciao,
Rick

Old 10-18-2005, 12:33 PM   #12
Snakes Incorporated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard
So Shaun, did you learn anything about not taking any precautions when you are dealing with snakes. No offense man, but being bit on a regular basis and not changing the way you do things is not very smart. So how much money have you lost with all those hospital bills?
Hi Michael, when doing catching and releasing of wild snakes discovered in or on private property it is paramount for me to rescue the animal. In my humble opinion the animal’s safety is more important than a little blood.
This is no problem for non-venomous but caution for venomous but with the same consideration. My tools consist of a snake hook and a combination of experience and knowledge.

Knowledge is sometimes acquired through trial and era.

Bill you ask was 11500.00 rand which is a lot of money. This with thee weeks recovery was an expensive leason learned. But I am still breathing.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:46 AM   #13
Junkyard
Yep, that is an expensive lesson for sure. I was laughed at the last time I went out snake hunting because I was were gloves. Turned out that the snake I caught that night(which is when I was laughed at the most) turned out to be a venemous little bugger. I, personally, would rather be safe than dead.

Old 10-28-2005, 01:40 PM   #14
vipersniper
..."we don't have venemous snakes except for the occasional massasauga rattler, but those are nearly harmless."

It is my understanding that massassauga rattlesnakes are quite capable of delivering a potentially life threatening bite (in the absence of treatment) and are not "nearly harmless". At the very least persons unfortunate enough to experience a full bite from a massassauga could experience a considerable amount of tissue necrosis and the possible loss of an extremity. These are not a snake to be taken so lightly. Other experts out there, am I wrong on this?

Old 10-28-2005, 06:17 PM   #15
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipersniper
..."we don't have venemous snakes except for the occasional massasauga rattler, but those are nearly harmless."

It is my understanding that massassauga rattlesnakes are quite capable of delivering a potentially life threatening bite (in the absence of treatment) and are not "nearly harmless". At the very least persons unfortunate enough to experience a full bite from a massassauga could experience a considerable amount of tissue necrosis and the possible loss of an extremity. These are not a snake to be taken so lightly. Other experts out there, am I wrong on this?

No, you are not wrong. You are very correct.
As with any Crotalid, not just rattlers, their venom can be very necrotic, and often times is. At the same time, they are all capable of delivering a "dry bite" as well. Depends on the snake, how threatened it feels, etc. Though some have developed a "reputation" for the necrosis involved with their bites, like horidus, and atricaudatus, for example. It almost always causes massive hemoraging, and necrosis of the tissues.

Though I never concidered myself a "PRO", I have studied more on Crotalinae than any other species of Serpentes. And this is what I have come to learn.

Old 10-29-2005, 07:56 PM   #16
jsrocket
I am not an expert on Eastern massassaugas, but I have encountered plenty in the wild, mostly near riverbanks while trout fishing.

They are small, secretive little snakes, that will usually jump out of sight before you even see them. Virtually all bites are because the person was messing with the snake.

Are they dangerous? Sure. But bites are rare, and I think there's been about 2 deaths from their bite in the history of Michigan. So, on the "dangerous" scale, I think they rank pretty low. This has been my experience with E. Massassaugas in Mich.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!