Massive cottonmouth - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-16-2007, 05:02 PM   #21
ccole74
Me to ! If he doesnt soon then I will get a flame job for whining about it for a week !

Old 12-16-2007, 07:04 PM   #22
ChuckHurd
Sorry guys, I didn't realize anyone was looking for me. Just got a voice mail from Tim Cole, thanks Tim. Scenic City Reptiles disbanded a while back and i set everything back up under just my name. If anyone is looking for me, my web site is www.chuckhurd.com and my e-mail is chuckhurd@chuckhurd.com . My phone number is 423.580.7513 (txt capable), but if anyone has ever tried to call me, you know i am hard to reach by phone. i am in class most of the day, and i work at night job and tend to the snakes, so its difficult to answer calls. i am pretty diligent about responding to txts and e-mails. as for the questions:

the 61 female was collected by the late GREAT Keith Taylor of Blackwater Reptiles. He found her on the sand hills of SC. He called me before he even made it home that day and yelled over the phone "Professor, i have something you are going to love." I drove over the next weekend and got her. The male came from a location near Huntsville, AL. i collected him myself from a man made swamp area that is just teaming with cottons. unfortunately, neither of the snakes are still with me. The big female never adjusted to captivity. We ran cycles of meds thru her 3 different times. tried force feeding, scenting food, fish, frogs. changed out the cage sitting, used natural litter, everything i know, but she just wouldn't take off. it happens sometimes. the male died just a few months ago. i think it was probably old age on him. he was a mature snake when i found him. where he came from, the easterns cross with the much smaller westerns, so a 3 foot animal from that swamp is huge, so he was a massive example from that local. I have a male now that is bigger then either of these two. I think me might be the largest in captivity. i will post a picture of him tonight when i get home.

In academia, a PHD is called a doctor, not a professor. In truest form, a professor is simply a teacher. But by evolution of the English language, it has come to mean a teacher or a researcher. My calling in education was troubled children, so i teach at a Christian boarding school that specializes in learning difficulties. That is exactly where i want to be. Fortunately, there is a university 5 miles from my school that has a biology department focused on herpetology. I get to work hand and hand with them on their research and they are always interested in mine. I have provided them DNA and venom samples and they have provided me with live specimens for my goals. As for my research, for the most part, i fund it myself. i have had a few small grants along the way over the years. there is no money to be made on the research end, so it is purely for my benefit and pleasure, so i like to make all the decisions in what i do, so keep outside influences to a bare minimum. I notice a lot of you on here posting are from TX. for my currently project, i am in need of some TX locality canes. if anyone knows of a keeper that has 100% TX blood lines, please send me there way.

Thank you

Chuck Hurd

Old 12-17-2007, 01:13 AM   #23
jsrocket
Hey Chuck, you do good work, and I have not missed the forest, despite the darn trees.

But "professor" is an earned title, where I come from. If you want to throw around semantics, I would be a professor in a lot of things.

Seriously, though, what types of disabled youths have you counseled?

Maybe a few case studies. Personal, identifying details omitted.

Naturally, you already knew that.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:32 AM   #24
ChuckHurd

Here is the new star of the show. He came from the Everglades and has been in captivity 19 years. Yes, you ready that right, 19 years. I think me may be the largest in captivity. Mardi Snipes has one of similar size, but I do not know of any others close to him.

I teach mostly ADD, ADHD, and Autistic students. I like the title professor because is signifies education and research, which are two things near to my heart, to people who do not already know what I do. If it somehow bothers you to address me as such, suite yourself, I could careless.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:03 AM   #25
akaangela
I am sorry to hear of the deaths of the cottons. They where beautiful snakes. How long can a cotton live? He is beautiful. What a big boy. Thanks for the photo

My hat off to you for your teaching. It takes a special type of person to be able to teach.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:29 AM   #26
ccole74
Man, That is a beast. I know that allot of cane's are found in barn's in and around Bastrop Texas. That is the only place I have seen them. The address was Star Rt. 16-C Bastrop Tx. I don't know the zip as it has been years since I was there. I don't feel good about shipping and big hots make me a little jumpy. If you were ever intrested in a road trip for Horrid us That would be a spot ware you can get a few. That is Tim Cole's stomping grounds so I assume he can help you better then me. Hope it helps.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:37 AM   #27
ChuckHurd
Thank you, they are illegal to collect without a permit from the state. i have been in contact with them and i have the paperwork. if all is approved, i will be heading out that way this spring when school is out. i am hoping to gather 1.2 young adults, but being an old time snake hunter, i couldn't pass over a 5 footer. not sure how many the permit will allow me to take. not interested in grabbing too many, since they are rare to begin with, but while i am there, hope to gather up a few WDB, BB coppers, and some western cottons. I am hoping to get the canes from the extreme western part of the range.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:56 AM   #28
Tim Cole
Invitation...

Chuck,
Let me know when you are coming as soon as possible so I can schedule a visit. I can guarantee showing you some wtb's. Canebrakes and BB's are little bit more difficult around here but more common east of here. If nothing else, i look forward to your visit. I am on a museum permit which does allow me to deal with the Canebrakes.

I look forward to your visit,

Old 12-17-2007, 02:14 PM   #29
ccole74
I hunt on a ranch in Blanco Texas during Archery season. To be able to do this I will have to go there and cut cedar bushes and trim shooting lanes at the other stands. Last spring during the spring Turkey season a friend of mine killed a very large rattle snake. It was a 5' + WDB. They don't know any better but I am working on them. Any how I may be able to get you guy's on the ranch to see what you can get your hands on. I have seen them along the Blanco River as well. I don't think that there would be an issue as long as you stuck with the snakes. I always find them in the deer stands and around the feeders. I assume that they do this because the rodants come for the scraps of corn that left by the pigs and deer. Big fat rattle snakes are a given here. You can also dig up some neat stuff around Houston too. Me and the kids come across allot of good stuff between Galveston and down town Houston. If you are intrested lemme know and maybe we can work out a meet up or somthing.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #30
christophermchale
wow, good luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!