rough green snake feeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 08-18-2005, 12:52 PM   #1
littlepretty82
Question rough green snake feeding

What is the best food for rough green snakes? I am feeding mostly gutloaded crickets right now but when I do find a caterpillar or moth they seem more interested in it then they are in the crickets.The green snakes around here are usually around water so do you think maybe they like small fish?I just thought of that. I haven't read anywhere that they eat fish but their wild diets have not been entirely studied yet. I will have to try feeding a fish to them tonight. Are Goliath worms good for them. I want to feed a variety of foods to them to keep them happy. I am looking for the most nutritional foods for them, I don't want them to fill up on snack food Oh and does anybody know where to get good quality feeder fish for watersnakes?

Old 08-18-2005, 04:12 PM   #2
Tears_and_Fangs
We have rough green snakes around here too. ^-^

Rough Green Snake Diet- You can feed them crickets, soft bodied larvae, worms, superworms,and mealworms.

I never tried feeding mine fish, but you can always give it a whirl I suppose.
And you can always get feeder fish at a nearby bait store if you have one where your located.I think you should try minnows if you attempt feeding him fish.

I hope I helped you out some, if you need any more info on your snake, I'll be glad and try to help.

~Britt

Old 11-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
Snyds
Does anyone else have rough green snakes. I've had 3 of them for 2 months now.
Mine also are eating gut-loaded crickets. An occasional spider or moth too.
I love these beauties. Anyone with success with these guys, please pass on your secrets.
Snyds

Old 11-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
Digby Rigby
Arrow Feeding them

They like moths caterpillars and spiders. Tomato worms aka goliath worms and silkworms should also be good. Use roaches instead of crickets and mealworms.

Breeding your own feeder fish is fast fun and easy use Platties and or guppies and breed your own. If you need somewhat larger then breed swordtails.

Digby Rigby balboa28279@mypacks.net

Old 11-22-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
Snyds
Hey Digby, thanks for the reply. Where do you get goliath worms and silk worms? Can you get any of these from a supplier. I live in Northern VA and it is starting to get cold. Not many bugs outside at all now. And I would think roaches would have too hard of a shell for them. Have you had success with feeding greens all of these?

Old 11-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
mxracer4life
When I was a kid I would catch rough green snakes and feed them small minnows, grand daddy long legs, crickets, grass hoppers etc. I even had one take a very small pinkie mouse. The first rough green snake I caught regurged on me and had a small minnow and a grand daddy long leg inside, so I would say that is part of there natural diet. They are like any other snake, very opertunistic feeders, so if something comes by and they think they can take it, they will.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
Snyds
Jeremy,
Thanks for the input! I'll try both minnows and daddy long legged spiders.
Dave

Old 01-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
mxracer4life
Anytime. Keep in mind that my rough greens were wild caught, I would not advise feeding ALL of those items unless you can purchase them. Bait shops make good green snake stores, lol. I foregot to tell you, earthworms are taken from them as well.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:13 AM   #9
sriann7734
mine won't touch a mealworm, and i just caught it right before it got cold so there haven't been any other bugs to try. i hadn't thought of fish...i will try those next. has anyone here tried to breed them? they make such wonderful pets.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #10
Southern Wolf
My Rough Green is feeding on small dubia roaches.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!