Albino Alligator Lizard - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:18 PM   #11
Rande
I've reared many hatchlings on dusted pinheads. They do not need a lot of heat; temps in the 70s - low 80s (F) are sufficient. They do bask, however. I provide UV through a fluorescent tube, and give them branches to climb to whatever distance they want to be from the lamp. UV might be difficult for albino lizards to absorb. PLEASE CHECK WITH BREEDERS OF OTHER ALBINO LIZARDS (Bearded dragons, perhaps). My substrate is dry leaf-litter or sphagnum moss - anything that they can crawl around in and navigate through without too much difficulty. I do not use crushed coconut fiber because it's too dense. I tried it once and they all died. The two things to be careful of are mites, and too much heat. Prevent those, and they're pretty easy to raise. Good luck. I've wanted to find one of these for many years. I hope you're successful with it.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #12
Nordic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rande View Post
I've reared many hatchlings on dusted pinheads. They do not need a lot of heat; temps in the 70s - low 80s (F) are sufficient. They do bask, however. I provide UV through a fluorescent tube, and give them branches to climb to whatever distance they want to be from the lamp. UV might be difficult for albino lizards to absorb. PLEASE CHECK WITH BREEDERS OF OTHER ALBINO LIZARDS (Bearded dragons, perhaps). My substrate is dry leaf-litter or sphagnum moss - anything that they can crawl around in and navigate through without too much difficulty. I do not use crushed coconut fiber because it's too dense. I tried it once and they all died. The two things to be careful of are mites, and too much heat. Prevent those, and they're pretty easy to raise. Good luck. I've wanted to find one of these for many years. I hope you're successful with it.
Thank you for your input. The hot out of the tank and might reach about 90° and I try to emulate the temperature range in San Luis Obispo County where it gets actually cold at night. But think I've noticed about this lizard is active at almost any temperature. I do have a small UV bulb running during the day, but from what I've read from these particular lizards they don't spend a lot of time basking so they don't need a lot of UV. That makes sense because of my experience you rarely see them basking they're often hiding underneath objects once they have gotten heated up.

I am feeding medium super worms and crickets dusted with vitamin supplements everyday to every other day, I will often feed with forceps because it has become accustomed to them and feeds readily from them. It is amazing to watch these creatures hunt they do not have good eyesight but their sense of smell is amazing. I mist the tank daily on one half of the tank and then I have a spagna moss hide for it to go in whenever it feels that needs a higher humidity. I have often seen it lick moisture off the plastic plants and glass. Is currently on coconut substrate but I keep it misted so it doesn't seem to be an issue currently I was considering adding the moss on top of it though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Old 03-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #13
Rande
Well, the coconut fibre might not be as much an issue for you as it was for me because I've had mine outdoors, and I think they were trying to escape the heat but the fibre proved too dense for them. Indoors may not be a problem. The UV I'm not so sure about. Being outdoors, I find mine basking frequently. The thing is, they're not territorial so they have no reason to expose themselves to predators by resting on high perches, like a fence lizard would. Mine bask on the ground near shady spots among leaf litter where they can slip out of sight quickly.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:19 PM   #14
Nordic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rande View Post
Well, the coconut fibre might not be as much an issue for you as it was for me because I've had mine outdoors, and I think they were trying to escape the heat but the fibre proved too dense for them. Indoors may not be a problem. The UV I'm not so sure about. Being outdoors, I find mine basking frequently. The thing is, they're not territorial so they have no reason to expose themselves to predators by resting on high perches, like a fence lizard would. Mine bask on the ground near shady spots among leaf litter where they can slip out of sight quickly.
Yeah, mine likes to climb in a plastic bushlike plant I bought for it and sometimes "bask" but well under cover. It's an awesome creature and I love watching it hunt for crickets by smell alone

Old 04-18-2018, 01:32 AM   #15
Nordic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Yeah, mine likes to climb in a plastic bushlike plant I bought for it and sometimes "bask" but well under cover. It's an awesome creature and I love watching it hunt for crickets by smell alone

Getting chunky

Old 06-29-2018, 05:11 PM   #16
LizardGuy918
Albino alligator lizard:

I would like to buy him from you. Please Let me know If you will sell him and for How much. Thank you

Derekj918@aim.com

Old 09-02-2018, 07:23 PM   #17
hisk
Glad to see this little guy is still doing well

Old 09-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #18
Dyscophus antongilii
Wow, your little guy looks amazing!!! Do you intend to try and breed your specimen?

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:15 PM   #19
Nordic
Yes that's the goal. I think these very easy to care for species could be a huge hit if they were this colorful

Old 02-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #20
Roscoe09
Do you have any updates?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!