Explanation of Topsite section? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
a153fish
Explanation of Topsite section?

I recently submitted my banner ad in the Topsite section, but I am having trouble finding any explanation of what makes your site climb the list, or what all the stats mean. Can anyone help?

Old 02-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by a153fish View Post
I recently submitted my banner ad in the Topsite section, but I am having trouble finding any explanation of what makes your site climb the list, or what all the stats mean. Can anyone help?
You site is ranked based on relative popularity, which is measured by the number of unique IP addresses that visit your site. The code you receive to be placed on your site causes a counter to be incremented on my server for each visitor that comes to your site and views it's page or pages that have that code placed on it. Sometimes some people will try to artificially inflate their numbers to rise in the ranks, and I have had to boot a few for doing such things in the past. It's pretty easy to tell when someone is doing that. I actually caught one guy who admitted that he was sitting at the keyboard every day just clicking the refresh button over and over again on his browser.

As for what the stats mean, well probably the most confusing thing is the pageviews, so here is a quote from the site that developed the product.
Quote:
Unique Pageviews (PV) is the amount of visitors you have. Total Pageviews (PV) is the amount of page loads you have.

Meaning each time a unique visitor goes to your site you get another Unique Pageview, but for every page that person loads it counts towards your Total Pageviews.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
a153fish
OK I have been using the link on my home page to teleport to the topsite page, so I can see where my position is. It's fun to watch it climb up, but I haven't been trying to force it up by doing so. I'm also trying to figure out if my clicks were affecting it or not. Was also woundering if the clicks had to come from the topsite list it'self, or any click on my site from any other placed link? Thanks for the explanation.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
a153fish
One more question. Should I place that link on other pages also? Or it recognizes the clicks on other pages?

Old 02-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by a153fish View Post
One more question. Should I place that link on other pages also? Or it recognizes the clicks on other pages?
Clicks are only recognized when there is a call to my server via the link in that code. So it really should be on every page of your site in order to accurately count REAL traffic taking place on your site. That's why there is a separate column for both unique IP addresses and raw visits to your site.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
a153fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Clicks are only recognized when there is a call to my server via the link in that code. So it really should be on every page of your site in order to accurately count REAL traffic taking place on your site. That's why there is a separate column for both unique IP addresses and raw visits to your site.
Gotcha! Thanks for your time, and your help Rich!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!