Snakes that don't feed on rodents - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
Juxtaposition109
Question Snakes that don't feed on rodents

Hello all,
I have a friend who has snake sit for me a few times when I've been out of town. She does an excellent job but being as I have Ball Pythons and Corn Snakes she doesn't want to feed them b/c she said she is grossed out by rodents in general. She said she would love a snake so I was thinking of getting her a Rough Green snake for a pet. I have read that they mainly need to be fed gut loaded crickets and worms. Are there any other snakes that mainly do not feed on rodents that you all would recommend as pets?

Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
hhmoore
Garters, eastern hognose snakes, mud snakes

Old 10-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
MDC_Ophiuchus
IMHO, green snakes just don't acclimate well to captivity, whether they eat crickets or not.

Harold is correct in that the species he mentioned do not eat rodents. However, one has to consider what they DO eat, and how to obtain such on a reliable basis.

For example, eastern hogs are toad-eaters by preference. Where does one find toads? Sure you may find them locally around your yard but what about during the winter?

Mudsnakes have a very specialized diet: giant eel-like amphibians called sirens and amphiumas. The snake itself is rare enough in captivity or to find in the field....How on earth is one to sustain one once they have acquired it?
------------
Garter snakes are an excellent choice. Being opportunistic, they eat amphibians, fish, smaller reptiles, invertebrates, and small rodents. This is a species that is a lot easier to satisfy in captivity. Most hobbyists offer large earthworms (found at fish bait supply stores), small feeder fish (minnows and guppies are healthier than goldfish), and/or small fillet strips of pre-cooked fish.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
hhmoore
That's why I listed them in the order I did, lol.
Garters first because they would be easiest,
Eastern hognose second, because they are still easy once you establish a food source...and they can be brumated for the winter months when toads are more difficult to obtain.
Mudsnakes last, because they are more difficult to keep. Some people have had some success in getting them to eat other amphibians (tadpoles and frogs, in particular), but I have no information on the longterm effects of that diet on their health & longevity.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
MDC_Ophiuchus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
That's why I listed them in the order I did, lol.
Yeah, I wasn't bashing what you said. After all, you were answering the question. I was just elaborating.

To go further, there are others, such as water snakes (similar care to garters), and possibly Dekay's brown snakes, which will readily eat small worms or chopped-up larger ones.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
SapphireGemReptiles
egg eating snakes eat quail eggs then spit the shells out >_>

Old 11-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
annmikeal
Im thinking garters or water snakes... unless she has a problem feeding them fish

Old 03-28-2011, 05:47 AM   #8
EvilLost
Not a beginner snake or easy to find nor take care of, but you didn't list any of those as a requirement technically :P

Asian vine snakes (Ahaetulla prasina, or any ahaetulla really). My favorite snakes, they eat primarily anoles/geckos.

But I certainly would NOT recommend them!

Old 05-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
dekaybrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC_Ophiuchus View Post
IMHO, green snakes just don't acclimate well to captivity, whether they eat crickets or not.

------------
Garter snakes are an excellent choice. Being opportunistic, they eat amphibians, fish, smaller reptiles, invertebrates, and small rodents. This is a species that is a lot easier to satisfy in captivity. Most hobbyists offer large earthworms (found at fish bait supply stores), small feeder fish (minnows and guppies are healthier than goldfish), and/or small fillet strips of pre-cooked fish.
I concur on both points.

It's sad how many $10 green snakes are sold and die....

Garter snakes make excellent captives, come in cool colours and are super easy to care for.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
Ntyvirus
is the snake in the 2nd pic really that teal color or is that from a flash?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!