New Garter Babies - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-07-2005, 02:13 PM   #11
Junkyard
Thanks for the info. These are Sierra Garters, they are indigenous to California, the Sierras are about a 10 hour drive for me so I have to hang on to them until I can release them. Being we own a rescue this is one of the most annoying things we run into, people catch a wild snake take it home and then give it to us. I cannot release it here because it does not belong., so I need to than find a way to return it or I have to keep it. Argh!

I will keep you updated when they finally start to eat.

Old 08-07-2005, 02:34 PM   #12
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard
Thanks for the info. These are Sierra Garters, they are indigenous to California, the Sierras are about a 10 hour drive for me so I have to hang on to them until I can release them. Being we own a rescue this is one of the most annoying things we run into, people catch a wild snake take it home and then give it to us. I cannot release it here because it does not belong., so I need to than find a way to return it or I have to keep it. Argh!

I will keep you updated when they finally start to eat.
Just in FYI

Legally you can't release them. In California you cannot release long term captives or C.B. animals, native or not.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:08 AM   #13
Junkyard
I do understand the legality, but also in California you are only allowed to have two of each species(rattlesnakes as many as you want, kingsnakes 4, and gopher snakes 4 slightly different rules for these). With this if those two breed, you have to keep all the babies, you cannot give them away, trade, or sell. But you are only allowed to have TWO. So I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. The legal system here really needs some work!

So, I was able to find some minnows at a local store. Within 2 hours 17 ate! Thank you every one here at Fauna. Now I need to buy more because those last four have floating fish in their bowls. You all have really been helpful! Thank you again. I will let you know when the last four do finally eat.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:07 AM   #14
aliceinwl
You are actually allowed to give them away. The recipients would, however, have to stay within their bag limit. If you are still set on releasing them, I'd recommend contacting the person from whom you received them and get an exact locality on the parent. It's also very important that you make sure no exposure occurs between them and any other herps as this could transfer diseases which could infect the wild population.

-Alice

Old 08-08-2005, 12:41 PM   #15
Junkyard
Alice- thanks for the tip, I guess the rules have changed a bit since the last time I inquired about WC in California. So I will definitely be looking into that option. As far as where these little guys/gals came from-Mt Whitney area-so I was told. Which is not too bad, I used to do a lot of hiking there when I was younger. So it really is a matter of taking some time off work to get them back. Of course if I can give them away I am going to take that option first.

Old 08-12-2005, 08:56 AM   #16
Junkyard
As of last night all 21 of these little snakes have eaten twice, they are on their way to a fat happy life. Thank you again for everyones help.

Old 08-12-2005, 04:41 PM   #17
DragonCharm
For food you can always try frozen fish from the local pet store, found in the frozen cooler in the fish dept. You can usually find frozen krill and silversides. F/t is the way to go with mice, why not with fish.

Old 08-13-2005, 03:58 PM   #18
Junkyard
Thanks for the idea, I will give it a try. I did have a couple eat the fish after they went belly up.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:57 PM   #19
garyrappel
try to find a bigger tank and put them all together if they are from the same mother and if they sell crickets at your stores then try and cutting them in half thats what i had to do with my 12 baby garters but it mostly depends on the size of the snake

Old 04-11-2006, 10:18 PM   #20
LeosForLess
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyrappel
try to find a bigger tank and put them all together if they are from the same mother and if they sell crickets at your stores then try and cutting them in half thats what i had to do with my 12 baby garters but it mostly depends on the size of the snake
Isn't there a chance of cannibalism though?
My garter ate the first week i had it, i just fed red rosies, the little baby goldfish that they feed to turtles.
Also, i don't know if you know this from other snakes(but in thinking you do) make sure there are no holes in th lid big enough for them to get out. Mine got out of a 10 gal by crawling up the glue on the side that holds the glass together, crawled up underneath to the middle of the light, and out. I watched the whole thing, they're amazing escape artists

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!