Anyone see this ad on KS???? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-07-2004, 07:33 AM   #21
Hognose_311
It provides safety for the keeper, but to let you know...yes i do agree with you more than anyone else i've ever seen post on here... but the thrill of keeping snakes that are venomous....is that they are venomous!!! But mine are not, there are some limitations and there are many risks...but why not make sure its safe?? I already know that the venom gland's regenerate, which really had nothing to do with anything... I appreciate what you have said, and i agree with it because you obviously know what your talking about.... but i originally did not say I PERFORM THE SURGERY...did I? My only response was that I "helped".

The Only Way I "Help", is by watching and holding tools and different organs and things are seperated...so the surgery can be done... So your trying to say that a reptile vet would say, "no i will not perform the surgery on a snake because that's the way they are"? That's what I think...... Because if you went to vet, they would charge you $2000.00 bucks, and then still say "take it easy"...so any vet would do this...

Old 10-07-2004, 09:55 AM   #22
Mustangrde1
Quote:
Because if you went to vet, they would charge you $2000.00 bucks, and then still say "take it easy"...so any vet would do this...
That statement is false! I have spoken to hundreds of vets that will not perform it.

Many of them state in fact that it is morally and ethically wrong to do so and in clear violation of the Oath they have taken.

Veterinarian's Oath

Being admitted to the profession of veterinary medicine, I solemnly swear to use my scientific knowledge and skills for the benefit of society through the protection of animal health, the relief of animal suffering, the conservation of livestock resources, the promotion of public health and the advancement of medical knowledge.

I will practice my profession conscientiously, with dignity and in keeping with the principles of veterinary medical ethics.

I accept as a lifelong obligation the continual improvement of my professional knowledge and competence.

Many of the vets I have spoke to point out that in fact even if they could discount their Oath the risk of a potential bite and potential ramification in lawsuits and risk of loosing their lisence is not wourth the few hundred dollars they will gain.

You also said
Quote:
my reptile store that i work for has a herpetologist/reptile proffessional vet there
If as you state he is performing the surgery there I would hope you have all the proper legal paperwork and the legal requirements set fourth by APHIS unless you have these you and your store are in numerous violations of law.

Quote:
It provides safety for the keeper, but to let you know...yes i do agree with you more than anyone else i've ever seen post on here... but the thrill of keeping snakes that are venomous....is that they are venomous!!! But mine are not, there are some limitations and there are many risks...but why not make sure its safe??
The above statement contradicts itself! If you know they regenerate then you know they are not safe. Why then remove the glands for any reason? Venomous husbandry is not a persay safe hobby it has risk. However proper training and safety make it a less of a danger.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:00 AM   #23
Ken Harbart
If you can't deal with the risks, then you shouldn't be working with venomous. Laziness is not a valid excuse for hacking out part of a snake's head.

Old 10-07-2004, 11:43 AM   #24
ms_terese
Quote:
But mine are not, there are some limitations
Are you limited in what you can own because you're under 18?
Quote:
but i originally did not say I PERFORM THE SURGERY...did I?
Yes, you did.
Quote:
You could pay $100 for a newborn and do the surgery yourself, that's what i do with mine, and none have died...
While you explained later that you *don't* do the surgery yourself, that wasn't your first statement.

Old 10-07-2004, 12:04 PM   #25
Hognose_311
Ok well that wasnt the intention, people come to this forum to talk about thyings and discuss things, not to ask people questions or share what they think and have people try to get them arrested or whtever you people are trying to do...I do not know how to Quote what ppl say.....but i do know that I do not do the surgery, my reptile vet does and he lets me help...i am his relative.

I do Not hack open the snake's head, all i do is help hold things and i get to watch, i dont even think id be able to do that even if i knew how..... it's my own snake and i care about them, and hes a professional, so ill leave it up to him....and i don't see why a vet would go to college for x amount of years if he's not willing to do his job..... ofcourse people are going to ask to have that surgery done for many snakes...buthe should have been prepared to do his work..... i believe it is wrong also, but why risk your life instead of a snakes if it's your true passion? Snakes are the only thing that i like to have as a hobby....and if its just not possible to KEEP the snake with its venom, then you just can't.

Snakes are the most extraordinary things on this earth...and some people think they represent the devil....but in history the Kwakuitl indians believed that snakes represented the passage way between heaven and earth, some people respect them, and some don't, and they should be respected. People have been taking over there world for a long time, and then we become fascinated in them. So that is why i have snakes, and i need to have the surgery done BY SOMEONE ELSE, so therefore its not possible to keep its venom glands.

Old 10-07-2004, 12:26 PM   #26
psilocybe
Quote:
Originally posted by Hognose_311
Ok well that wasnt the intention, people come to this forum to talk about thyings and discuss things, not to ask people questions or share what they think and have people try to get them arrested or whtever you people are trying to do...I do not know how to Quote what ppl say.....but i do know that I do not do the surgery, my reptile vet does and he lets me help...i am his relative.

I do Not hack open the snake's head, all i do is help hold things and i get to watch, i dont even think id be able to do that even if i knew how..... it's my own snake and i care about them, and hes a professional, so ill leave it up to him....and i don't see why a vet would go to college for x amount of years if he's not willing to do his job..... ofcourse people are going to ask to have that surgery done for many snakes...buthe should have been prepared to do his work..... i believe it is wrong also, but why risk your life instead of a snakes if it's your true passion? Snakes are the only thing that i like to have as a hobby....and if its just not possible to KEEP the snake with its venom, then you just can't.

Snakes are the most extraordinary things on this earth...and some people think they represent the devil....but in history the Kwakuitl indians believed that snakes represented the passage way between heaven and earth, some people respect them, and some don't, and they should be respected. People have been taking over there world for a long time, and then we become fascinated in them. So that is why i have snakes, and i need to have the surgery done BY SOMEONE ELSE, so therefore its not possible to keep its venom glands.
This post has got contain some of the stupidest, most ignorant statements I have EVER seen concerning this subject...no offense.

Quote:
i believe it is wrong also, but why risk your life instead of a snakes if it's your true passion?
What exactly are you trying to say here? You state you know it's wrong, but you do it anyway. Your true selfishness and greed are exhibited here for all to see. I hope you are proud. And if something is your passion, you want to do your best to preserve it, not subject it to a cruel and needless surgery that risks it's life. Your "passion" is obvious: To inflate your ego.

Quote:
Snakes are the only thing that i like to have as a hobby....and if its just not possible to KEEP the snake with its venom, then you just can't.
You are one hundred percent correct...if you can't keep a snake with it's venom, you shouldn't be keeping it...but you also shouldn't be subjecting it to cruel procedures that do NOTHING to benefit the animal just so you can keep it. I would say that you should stick to non-venomous, but I'm not even sure you should be keeping those.

Quote:
What a profound statement. Unfortunately, it only makes you look more selfish and egotistic. You don't "need to have the surgery done by someone else", you choose to. Don't try and make it look like your desire to keep a venomous species justifies you cutting it up to make it suitable for you, because NO ONE here is going to buy it.

I've said enough for now. Talking sense into venomoiders is about as effective as talking sense into a wall. Your ego and greed block out any empathy or compassion for the animals you claim to have "passion" for.

Old 10-07-2004, 12:30 PM   #27
Ken Harbart
You're correct that some people don't respect venomous snakes. They're the ones who think it's perfectly okay to hack out a major portion of the snake's anatomy because they're too lazy or irresponsible to keep an intact animal.

Old 10-07-2004, 12:37 PM   #28
Ken Harbart
Also, I've asked you twice, and now I'm just straight out gonna tell you... shorten your signature. Three or four lines is reasonable. Fourteen lines is an unnecessary waste of sever space.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:29 PM   #29
Rockford
Indians and respect

MIke-
Ok.......The Indians have great respect for the snake? I never read about them hacking into the snake's head to remove their glands. If you have such great respect for these animals, you would not participate in these atrocities. It's been said before.... If you can't keep venemous without hacking them up, then leave it up to the Zoos. You can go and check them out whenever you like. Plus there is no risk of you getting bit!!!!! Analyze the statements you've made carefully. You just don't make any sense. Your enthusiasm for reptiles is great but these animals deserve respect. Hopefully you will take something positive from this thread.

BThacker

Old 10-07-2004, 01:33 PM   #30
GinoInDaBronx
metzger

Abishek, that was an excellent post! I really like the way that you handle these venomoider fools. I wish that I had your patience.

michael metzger is a liar; and a very bad one at that.

Does anyone else see numerous parallels between metzger and cameron glucheff?

It's your turn now, michael-change your story yet another time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!