Question about Woma Ball Pythons - History & Etc? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
snakechaarmer
Question Question about Woma Ball Pythons - History & Etc?

Hi all,

Quick question about woma ball pythons. I've read both of my books and neither of them mention this so I thought I would ask here to see if anyone knows...I did a search and can't seem to find any mention either..

I know there are NERD line and VPI line...Are there any other lines? I assume this co-dom was pulled out of Africa directly?

Do they have known neurological issues similar to spider morphs? Are some lines of woma actually crossed with spider or have they been at some point?

Thanks.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
Bob O'Brien
I dont have any experience with Womas but the nerd line has a Super form that has the most severe neuroligical problems I have ever seen in a BP. Most of them dont even hatch alive, and if they do they die rather quickly. Wish I had more info on them for you.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
snakechaarmer
I am asking because I recently purchased a VPI line Woma male, and he is exhibiting some very strange neurological symptoms...Nothing indicative of disease, but more like a spider would act. I have a rare gem of a spider who I have only seen have a wobble twice in his life, but this Woma is really different..And he almost looks like a banded spider, which I think most Womas do, anyway. I was just wanting to know if anyone else had a similar experience before I start freaking out. :/ He was in 3 months of quarantine before I moved him to my main room and I noticed a little bit of shaky striking but nothing like what he shows now.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
deobra2869
I had a woma ball and she didnt show any signs at all of a wobble or any neurological issues? Not sure if others do but mine didnt and I did take her out alot. I do have a snake with a wobble and know what to look for weird I guess

Old 01-12-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
R. Eventide
I guess I didn't know there were multiple lines...other than NERD's hidden gene Womas. If VPI's line is actually different, how do their super Womas fare?

My Woma has a severe wobble which started as extremely subtle (and easily overlooked) but got worse over time. My guess (and my vet's as well) is that BPs can have neurological issues like the Spiders that isn't tied to a morph in particular--it just shows up on occasion.

I don't know if anyone's done a Spider x Woma (I'd bet it's been done), but they're separate base morphs, so I don't think any Womas out there are "mixed."

Old 01-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #6
deobra2869
anything that is woma X spider that I can think of would be wannabees? Obviously those are easy to distinguish from a normal woma gene. IDK?

Old 01-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #7
Willow
It is becoming more known that womas do tend to have wobbles like spiders do...it isnt totally out there yet, but more and more people are admitting to it

I have a male woma ball that has a very slight wobble...I also had my hands on a woma lesser male that wobbled quiet a bit more...and have seen more and more woma ad's that disclose wobble like traits

Old 01-13-2011, 12:16 AM   #8
deobra2869
good thing to know now thanks for bringing that up snakechaarmer

Old 01-13-2011, 06:00 AM   #9
snakechaarmer
Thanks for the responses, guys. I wonder why it's something that other people have been trying to keep quiet? I think this is important to know..Especially about the Pearl/Super form. I had no idea about all that... Wow.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:14 AM   #10
Ostiguy
woma x spider is a woma spider, woma bumblebee is a wannabee

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
woma ball python