Question about Woma Ball Pythons - History & Etc? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
Focal
Crazy. Everything I've read shows Woma's to be problem free, in fact, an alternative to the spider in a bumblebee resulting in no wobble. This is good to know!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #12
snakechaarmer
It is crazy ...that's why I asked. I couldn't seem to find any information about issues with womas so im very thankful im not the only one. That still is so sad about the Pearl morph. I wonder why it happens like that.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #13
deborahbroadus
I actually thought in the beginning as a newcomer, and looking at the pictures, that Womas were simply the low-white Spiders marketed under another name.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
snakesRkewl
I've owned several womas that had absolutely zero wobble and a pastel woma same thing.
I'd love to see a video of an actual wobble in a woma...

Old 01-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #15
snakechaarmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
I've owned several womas that had absolutely zero wobble and a pastel woma same thing.
I'd love to see a video of an actual wobble in a woma...

It may be like the issues with spiders..some exhibit them severely while others may never show anything in their life. Like I said, my male and his offspring are blessed with minimal issues. May be the same with womas.

Ill see if I can video Hobbes next time he is acting strangely. ..

Old 01-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #16
Willow
Here is a video of the lesser woma male I had for a short time...his wobble was to much for me to handle, so I no longer have him. But I do have a male woma and a female lesser spider that have mild wobbles, both wobbles are pretty much identical....I don't mind mild...but this guy was trying to knock himself out

it's a short video...but this is how this boy was moving around on a normal basis...he would hit his head on all the things inside his enclosure every time he would fall backwards and try to whip himself upright, which would cause him to start to corkscrew.

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...serwoma030.mp4

Old 01-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #17
snakechaarmer
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
Here is a video of the lesser woma male I had for a short time...his wobble was to much for me to handle, so I no longer have him. But I do have a male woma and a female lesser spider that have mild wobbles, both wobbles are pretty much identical....I don't mind mild...but this guy was trying to knock himself out

it's a short video...but this is how this boy was moving around on a normal basis...he would hit his head on all the things inside his enclosure every time he would fall backwards and try to whip himself upright, which would cause him to start to corkscrew.

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...serwoma030.mp4
Wow. Hobbes isn't quite that bad. That's crazy....

Old 01-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #18
R. Eventide
Willow, that looks like what mine does. I have a vid of mine's wobble, but it's kinda crap (I need to redo it). Maybe I'll try it again tonight and get it posted.

The thing about the Woma wobble is that I can't tell whether it's a Woma thing or if people just pay more attention to Womas because they look like Spiders. This neurological problem can happen to any ball python, but do we not hear about it in non-Spider/Woma morphs because it's less common or because we expect to see it in those morphs (and/or don't expect to see it in others)?

Old 01-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #19
Willow
I have had 2 womas....both wobbled...i have had 3 spiders....all wobbled....

All pretty obviously, and I've never had those issues with any other snakes I've come across....I know it can happen in other morphs...but I'm pretty sure the woma is a lot more like spiders then people think in the manner of wobbles

Now as for people not knowing about it or talking about it....it was the same way with spiders in the beginning....it was very hush hush to talk about the wobbles when spiders where first being worked with

Spiders how just been around longer now....so its widely accepted that they wobble...soon womas will have the same understanding

Old 01-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #20
snakechaarmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Eventide View Post
Willow, that looks like what mine does. I have a vid of mine's wobble, but it's kinda crap (I need to redo it). Maybe I'll try it again tonight and get it posted.

The thing about the Woma wobble is that I can't tell whether it's a Woma thing or if people just pay more attention to Womas because they look like Spiders. This neurological problem can happen to any ball python, but do we not hear about it in non-Spider/Woma morphs because it's less common or because we expect to see it in those morphs (and/or don't expect to see it in others)?
I don't know if that's an accurate assement or not..I mean obviously, any animal can have a neurological problem, but as far as spiders and womas, I think that's a very morph-specific thing. I mean, for me personally, I spend a LOT of time watching my animals, and other people's animals, and I've never seen anything remotely similar to these types of behavior/issues in any other ball python morph. And even so I think the woma wobble and spider wobbles are a little bit different. I don't really think it has anything to do with appearance or similarities, when they act like they do in that video, it's hard not to notice that no matter what the snake looks like, at least IMO.

But again, it's like this thread has shown, the severity spans the spectrum, just like in spiders. It's just a good thing to know, because honestly I had no idea.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
woma ball python