temperature question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
MurdocksReptiles
temperature question

so i usually shoot for 78-80 ambient and 85-90 hotspots.
but recently my water has been staying around 68

im not sure how low it gets at night but im sure it goes to 60 at least since the thermostat drops 10 degrees at night

is that too cold?? or is that ok.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
Metachrosis
Lemme guess ??
Your referring to the temp of your water bowl?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
MurdocksReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk.mrdck View Post
so i usually shoot for 78-80 ambient and 85-90 hotspots.
but recently my water has been staying around 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
Lemme guess ??
Your referring to the temp of your water bowl?
ya im referring to the water
i dont see what your asking.?

Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
Metachrosis
I don't understand why there would be a concern
about the temp in a water source?
The other temps are well with in reason so there shouldn't
be any concerns.........."shouldn't be"

Old 01-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
MurdocksReptiles
I guess I should have mentioned the reason I ask is because I switched cage designs.
Used to have sliding glass doors which kept the water more 72-74
And now it's down to 65-68

They typically soak in the water every once in awhile but since switching to pull out steralite bins they haven't touched the water from what I've seen. And it's been almost 2 weeks

But idk maybe that just dislike the new cage? Or maybe it's to drafty or something cuz I've noticed non of the 3 want to leave there warm hide.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Metachrosis
New caging requires new acclimation period,when "they" decide the world is secure they will venture out.The less interaction they receive the faster they will settle in.
Daily visits and or frequent handling will keep them on edge and prolong the process.
I have pulled deviders from split cages and had 5+yrs old animals lock up in one position for several weeks.Its a very keen self preservation sytem reptiles use to avoid environment issues (predation etc)

Old 01-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
MurdocksReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
New caging requires new acclimation period,when "they" decide the world is secure they will venture out.The less interaction they receive the faster they will settle in.
Daily visits and or frequent handling will keep them on edge and prolong the process.
I have pulled deviders from split cages and had 5+yrs old animals lock up in one position for several weeks.Its a very keen self preservation sytem reptiles use to avoid environment issues (predation etc)

gotcha.
ya i figured theyd need some time i just wanted to double check that temp is ok.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
I've never taken a temp reading from water before, I try to get ambient air and tub/cage bottom, side readings.

hopefully they just need some time to settle in. As long as your ambient temps are fine, I don't see any issue.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!