California state law issues - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 01-14-2003, 11:30 PM   #11
Seamus Haley
A positive incarnation might be rewarding positive educational businesses with tax breaks or state funded vetrinary care for animals, not fines.

What's worse is that there is an "official" website that care sheets can be downloaded at and they're worthless.

Old 01-14-2003, 11:49 PM   #12
Desiree
Quote:
Originally posted by Darin Chappell

Let me ask you this: With CA being the most litigious State of them all, how long do you suppose it will be before someone gets sued over their written contracts' (read that as "care sheet's") contents? If I buy an animal from you and it dies (never mind that I had it too close to the TV and the vibrations sent it over the edge), do you thinkI won't be scouring over that care sheet to see if you thought far enough in advance to cover all of the possible stupid things I might do to harm my new pet?
In the text of the law:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/01-02/...chaptered.html

<I>
(2) If a seller of pet animals distributes material prepared by a
third party, the seller shall not be liable for damages caused by any
erroneous information in that material unless a reasonable person
exercising ordinary care should have known of the error causing the
damage.
</I>

I have to ask a friend of mine who's a gecko breeder in So. Cal. to peruse the literature he received from the County. Also, he relayed to me and I dont have any specific details yet re: the banning of sales of birds in Orange County. Now, I dont know if this is a temporary thing (due to the outbreak of Exotic Newcastle disease) or permanent. When I get more details, I'll post in the bird arena.

Old 01-15-2003, 12:30 AM   #13
dwedeking
Quote:
(2) If a seller of pet animals distributes material prepared by a third party, the seller shall not be liable for damages caused by any erroneous information in that material unless a reasonable person exercising ordinary care should have known of the error causing the damage.
And the cost of a lawyer to defend or define the above will take 50 leopard gecko sales to cover (at least). How soon will this drive pet stores out of the reptile business? Oh, by the way CA government can't figure out why so many businesses are fleeing the state and their lack of revenue has helped in driving our state broke. If AZ had a beach I'd be out of here.

The intentions on the surface of this law are good (as Mike pointed out) but government is rife with the inability to apply common sense to law and as such will cause nothing but problems for pet stores, hobbyists and the casual collector. Probably this was the original intent, to get rid of all reptile sales.

Old 01-16-2003, 10:32 AM   #14
Fred Albury
CareSheets for the Clueless........

I'm going to go out on a limb here,I kind of like the idea...

Before everyone jumps down my throat, let me say that if I had proper care sheets,I wouldnt have to answer the LITANY of questions lobbed at me by buyers and potential buyers at every show and for every internet sale. Customers OFTEN are too lazy or uninformed to SEARCH and seek their own information, even with the advent of the internet which brings the information to your finger tips. And actually reading a book might be dangerous to some peoples helath.

So...care sheets might help lead the clueless
I can see, in this sue happy state, where it could be *thouroughly* abused and leave the seller open for a lawsuit, but since I am so damn poor anyway, sueing me is a virtual waste of time.

As far as stores like Petco handing out care sheets,thats a joke, giving an info packet on an animal thathas been mistreated, malnutritioned and came in sick to begin with is redudndant.

With Grey"Tax them andraise their electricity" Davis as our Governor, we are on a crash course for destruction anyway.
Maybe an earthquake will come and separate us from the mainland....theres always hope.

My opinions,

Fred Albury

Old 01-16-2003, 01:48 PM   #15
Darin Chappell
As long as the Raiders go with Fred . . .as long as the raiders go with you!!!

Old 07-21-2003, 11:53 PM   #16
Adamanteus
California State links

State Homepage - http://www.state.ca.us/

State Legislature (Assembly) - http://www.assembly.ca.gov/

State Legislature (Senate) - http://www.senate.ca.gov/

State Statutes/Code - http://www.osp.dgs.ca.gov/

Old 12-05-2004, 12:00 PM   #17
madragon
mongooses

hi my dad wants to get a mongoose and i wanted to know if they are illegal in california because i know that ferrets are.

Old 12-30-2004, 11:48 AM   #18
kiote9
If you are still curious....

http://www.monkeymaddness.com/laws/ca.html

Section 671. Importation, Transportation and Possession of Wild Animal.
(They are considered wild regardless of being captive bred or wild caught.)

Old 07-22-2011, 12:59 AM   #19
mittens978
does anyone on here know about the laws for the captive breeding and selling of wild caught native snakes?

Old 07-22-2011, 01:05 AM   #20
mittens978
Question

mainly northern rubber boas and gopher snakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!